Recipe Tart with Reindeer, Walnuts and Cranberries

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
4:22 PM
Tart with Reindeer, Walnuts and Cranberries
tart_.jpg

Serves 6-8 | Preparation and baking time ~30-35 min

This is a variegated tart for cold seasons. The cranberries give a nice, tangy nuance contrary to the saltiness of the cold-smoked meat and the herb-sautéed walnuts have a Holiday season quality. The taste could be described as "forested".

(The recipe wasn't supposed to be a challenge entry at first, so I didn't photograph the ingredients and working phases as usual. I'm sorry for the poor quality of the pics.)

Ingredients
380 g/13.4 oz/0.84 lb ready-made pie crust (I used rye-oats dough)​
a handful of scallions/green onions (5-7 stems + white parts)​
3-4 cloves of garlic​
100 g/3.5 oz walnuts​
100 g/3.5 oz (frozen) cranberries​
1 tablespoon maple syrup​
1-2 teaspoon(s) rosemary​
0.5-1 teaspoon thyme​
1-2 tablespoon(s) ev olive oil​
150 g/5.3 oz cold-smoked reindeer, venison or ham (crumbled or cut into tiny pieces)​
300 ml/1.3 cups (~300 g/10.6 oz/0.66 lb) sour cream/crème fraîche​
3 (organic) eggs​
1.5-2 teaspoons lemon pepper (black pepper + dehydrated/fresh lemon zest)​
a pinch of salt​
130 g/4.6 oz grated Swiss cheese (strong Emment(h)aler)​
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven (200°C/~390°F/gas mark 6, no fan).​
2. Prepare the tart crust by lining a large baking tray or oven dish with parchment and rolling out/pressing the crust as thinly as possible. Bring the dough/crust a bit up on the sides.​
3. Spread the meat evenly on the bottom of the tart.​
4. Crush the walnuts lightly, cut the scallions into tiny pieces and mince the garlic.​
5. Sauté the scallions, garlic, walnuts, cranberries, maple syrup, rosemary and thyme in a skillet/frying pan in olive oil for a couple of minutes on medium-high heat.​
6. Scatter the mixture on top of the meat.​
7. Mix the sour cream, eggs, lemon pepper (and a pinch of salt) and pour on top.​
8. Finally, sprinkle the grated cheese and bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes until nicely browned. The baking time depends on the oven and the areal size of the tart.​

Last edited:
Tart with Reindeer, Walnuts and Cranberries
View attachment 75137

Serves 6-8 | Preparation and baking time ~30-35 min

This is a variegated tart for cold seasons. The cranberries give a nice, tangy nuance contrary to the saltiness of the cold-smoked meat and the herb-sautéed walnuts have a Holiday season quality. The taste could be described as "forested".

(The recipe wasn't supposed to be a challenge entry at first, so I didn't photograph the ingredients and working phases as usual. I'm sorry for the poor quality of the pics.)

Ingredients
380 g/13.4 oz/0.84 lb ready-made pie crust (I used rye-oats dough)​
a handful of scallions/green onions (5-7 stems + white parts)​
3-4 cloves of garlic​
100 g/3.5 oz walnuts​
100 g/3.5 oz (frozen) cranberries​
1 tablespoon maple syrup​
1-2 teaspoon(s) rosemary​
0.5-1 teaspoon thyme​
1-2 tablespoon(s) ev olive oil​
150 g/5.3 oz cold-smoked reindeer, venison or ham (crumbled or cut into tiny pieces)​
300 ml/1.3 cups (~300 g/10.6 oz/0.66 lb) sour cream/crème fraîche​
3 (organic) eggs​
1.5-2 teaspoons lemon pepper (black pepper + dehydrated/fresh lemon zest)​
a pinch of salt​
130 g/4.6 oz grated Swiss cheese (strong Emment(h)aler)​
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven (200°C/~390°F/gas mark 6, no fan).​
2. Prepare the tart crust by lining a large baking tray or oven dish with parchment and rolling out/pressing the crust as thinly as possible. Bring the dough/crust a bit up on the sides.​
3. Spread the meat evenly on the bottom of the tart.​
4. Crush the walnuts lightly, cut the scallions into tiny pieces and mince the garlic.​
5. Sauté the scallions, garlic, walnuts, cranberries, maple syrup, rosemary and thyme in a skillet/frying pan in olive oil for a couple of minutes on medium-high heat.​
6. Scatter the mixture on top of the meat.​
7. Mix the sour cream, eggs, lemon pepper (and a pinch of salt) and pour on top.​
8. Finally, sprinkle the grated cheese and bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes until nicely browned. The baking time depends on the oven and the areal size of the tart.​

You cook reindeer??

Russ

You cook reindeer??

Russ
Yes; there are plenty of Rudolphs in Lapland. Lappish and Sámi people have a long tradition in herding them in the wilderness; in lichen-covered forests and fjeld/arctic hill sides. There's frozen reindeer roast, fillet, shredded meat (for making typical Lappish sautéed reindeer with lingonberries/cowberries and mashed potatoes) and cold-smoked reindeer available in supermarkets and most delis - e.g. at airports. I tend to use savoury cold-smoked reindeer kibble (tiny "pellets") which have a very long shelf life and resemble venison and/or air-dried ham in taste. Reindeer meat is very lean and contains healthy omega-3 & fatty acids similar to fish.
reindeer.PNG

Image: Heikki Ketola/Vastavalo
pororouhe.png
Image source (left): Rönkä Kylmäsavu pororouhe 1,3 kg, image source (right): Poronkäristys

Last edited:
Yes; there are plenty of Rudolphs in Lapland. Lappish and Sámi people have a long tradition in herding them in the wilderness; in lichen-covered forests and fjeld/arctic hill sides. There's frozen reindeer roast, fillet, shredded meat (for making typical Lappish sautéed reindeer with lingonberries/cowberries and mashed potatoes) and cold-smoked reindeer available in supermarkets and most delis - e.g. at airports. I tend to use savoury cold-smoked reindeer kibble (tiny "pellets") which have a very long shelf life and resemble venison and/or air-dried ham in taste. Reindeer meat is very lean and contains similar healthy omega-3 & fatty acids as fish.
View attachment 75161
Image: Heikki Ketola/Vastavalo
View attachment 75166View attachment 75165
Image source (left): Rönkä Kylmäsavu pororouhe 1,3 kg, image source (right): Poronkäristys
Yeah, I just assumed they were just another form of cattle, only it sounds like reindeer have much likely much healthier meat than most beef. Judging by how they don't appear to move out of the way of cars they seem about as dumb as cows, too.

And I don't see any red noses, :laugh:

But, back to the recipe. I love recipes that challenge me, which this certainly does. It’s festive, and it’s savory, but the cranberries pull it in an intriguing direction. It’s not quite sweet and savory…maybe bitter and savory, which is really cool.

Back
Top Bottom