Tastes change over the years.

No,I don´t think so. I think it´s us Brits that are wierd and the rest of the world is normal:o_o::o_o: Just consider:
  • A mince pie is a heavy, boozy sickly sweet concoction of dried fruit, spices and beef fat, encased in pastry
  • A Christmas pudding is something similar, with flour and eggs added, and is then set alight and slathered with butter. Just the thing after consuming Turkey, stuffing, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, Brussels Sprouts, creamed carrots and yorkshire pudding - excellent for the diet:cool:
  • A Christmas cake is the same as the first two, except it´s served cold.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Don't like mince pies, pudding on occasion but love fruit cake

Don't like mince pies, pudding on occasion but love fruit cake
None of those for me. My mother loved them. She had a good bit of English blood on her father's side, guessing that's where her tastes came from I suppose (her mother was Norwegian). Anyway, she made fruitcake and mince pie every Christmas. They were dry and yucky, IMO.

She would make these awful cakes and put them in tins and send them to other family members. One year I bought her a Christmas card mocking fruitcakes. On the front of the card it had something about "the fruitcake that went around the world" and inside the card it joked about how people didn't like it and would regift it the following year, and it queried the age of the fruitcake, etc., insinuating it could be quite ancient and was so inedible and filled with preserved foods that it wouldn't rot, and so forth. She didn't find it funny.

Ok back on topic. I didn't like yoghurt until I was in my 40s. I didn't like coffee until I was in my 30s. I think I still love all the same foods otherwise.

Ok, I admit my fondness for kidney has not aged well. :whistling:

I like them quite a lot but it has to be said (same with liver) its not something I want to eat every week.

The biggest leap for me was that as a kid, fish and seafood didn't feature at, all aside from battered fish 'n chips from the fish and chip shop. It took a long time for me to try eating shellfish - but once I did, I was hooked. Oysters now rank as one of my top ten foods.

I like them quite a lot but it has to be said (same with liver) its not something I want to eat every week.

The biggest leap for me was that as a kid, fish and seafood didn't feature at, all aside from battered fish 'n chips from the fish and chip shop. It took a long time for me to try eating shellfish - but once I did, I was hooked. Oysters now rank as one of my top ten foods.
I wish I could go back in time and enjoy them at the price and freshness I enjoyed in my 20s. I remember in college (in Florida) there was a restaurant that had a .10 cent oyster night. I would sit up at the bar and they would shuck them and put them in front of me with hot horseradish, spicy cocktail sauce and crackers, and cold draught beer, ahhh. Even in my 30s I think they were $5.99 a dozen on special (still living in Florida then, too). I don't even know where I could find good fresh oysters up here in the midwest, but I am sure they would be costly. I think in Florida nowadays they are $1 per oyster, or maybe more.

Edited to add that I wouldn't eat them raw when I was a kid. Also I didn't try sushi until my late 20s.

That's similar to here. It depends - if I buy on-line from the supermarket they are about £1 each ($1.30). If I drive to the coast and buy them at source I can get them cheaper - maybe half the price.
We go through from March to November around 600-1000 oysters a week and off season generally around 300-400 and we pay anywhere from .90 to 2.00 depending on the variety but normally 1.00 for most.

Gulf oysters are selling online for $60-$70 dollars (US) for a 30 pound sack, which will have 80-100 oysters, depending on the size of the oysters. One place is selling exactly 100 oysters for $93.

CD

Back
Top Bottom