1lb/500g potatoes, cooked and mashed
1 oz/30g butter, melted plus extra for greasing
1/2tsp salt
1 medium egg
4 oz/125g flour, plus a little extra for rolling out
1tsp baking powder

Preperation

1. Preheat the oven to 395°F/200°C/Gas 6
  2. Place the mashed potato in a large baking bowl and add all the other ingredients to form a sticky dough.
  3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to approx ½ inch/1 cm thickness. Cut into saucer sized rounds then score a cross into the dough to mark 4 equal wedges.
  4. Grease a baking sheet with butter and bake the scones for 15 minutes until golden brown and risen. The scones can also be cooked on the stove top on a griddle or heavy based frying pan. Cook the scones 5 minutes on either side until golden and risen
  5. Eat while warm.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/breakfastrecipes/r/tattiescones.htm

Now should it be in, Baking, Bread Making and Cakes or Vegetables and Mushrooms, it is a potato recipe? Or maybe Ethnic and Regional, as they are a Scottish recipe?

See also Fadge (Potato Bread)

Last edited:
It's not every time I can say this about the recipes certain people:rolleyes: provide, but I have to say I like the sound of this one. I actually find it quite interesting. I also seriously believe you could add a teaspoon of Guinness to this.

I have actually not bought any tattie scones this week. I'm going to be trying out this recipe for them. Tattie scones are a firm favourite in this , something I have eaten all my but never found a recipe that works. This one actually looks like the ones I buy so it's being tried this week! I shall report back.

These look really good and easy to make. I might have to try them out, Are they similar to a pancake. Do you eat them with syrup or are they more like a fried potato that you would eat with ketchup?

They are not like either really. Once you have made the tattie scone it is usually left to go cold before being served hot later. you can fry them to reheat them but I actually prefer them toasted. As children we used to grill (UK grill term so heart source from above) on one side, turn them over add some cheese and grill it till brown. Given that I can't have dairy any more, I grill them and eat them with marg melted over them. Another option as a child was smothered with melted butter! Just wonderful...

Treat them a bit like a savoury toast come cheese cracker (not sweet). You could even use it as a mini pizza base!

Last edited:
Thanks. I really had no idea as I had never heard of them before but now I know. They are more like a bread then. They do sound great for mini pizzas. I will have to try them that way too, Hoping to make them this weekend. :)

Thanks. I really had no idea as I had never heard of them before but now I know. They are more like a bread then. They do sound great for mini pizzas. I will have to try them that way too, Hoping to make them this weekend. :)
Similar to a potato bread I guess. Some versions are more like bread than fried potato, some are very much like fried potatoes. It's hard to explain because there are so many variations but this one is the closest to the traditional version that I know. They are actually quite thin normally, may be 5-7mm thick no more. You can make them thicker but then they become more like a potato burger than a tattie scone. It's a cross between bread and mashed potato. There you are that's the closest description I can come up with! Toast made from mashed potato!

These look really good and easy to make. I might have to try them out, Are they similar to a pancake. Do you eat them with syrup or are they more like a fried potato that you would eat with ketchup?
You asked some good questions. I am in favour of using it as a pizza dough. Delightful Morning Glory.

These were indeed made on Sunday. We had them straight from the oven on Sunday and allowed to go cold and reheated on Monday. As with all tattie scones, the reheated ones were much better. Not quite good enough to take to Australia yet but getting closer...

My OH made them so didn't use a rolling pin to flatten them, just his fingers. He also made them too thick by his own admission. I think they need to be no more than 5mm thick. There is no way that the ones in the picture are 1cm thick!

I also think that they need a touch of mustard powder in them just to add that little something to them. I'll have to see what my originals have in them and compare...

Maybe I will add some masa to the mix to give a bit of a Mexican twist. I had tried the masa before which is basically a flour made from corn that is usually being used in Mexico. I think it will add some nutty taste together with the butter.

These were indeed made on Sunday. We had them straight from the oven on Sunday and allowed to go cold and reheated on Monday. As with all tattie scones, the reheated ones were much better. Not quite good enough to take to Australia yet but getting closer...

My OH made them so didn't use a rolling pin to flatten them, just his fingers. He also made them too thick by his own admission. I think they need to be no more than 5mm thick. There is no way that the ones in the picture are 1cm thick!

I also think that they need a touch of mustard powder in them just to add that little something to them. I'll have to see what my originals have in them and compare...
Just checked two fish slices, one the slots are 6.8mm wide the other 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom