Recipe Fadge (Potato Bread)

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
9:15 AM
Fadge Cakes.jpg

Ingredients
1lb/500g floury potatoes, cooked and mashed (or use left over mashed potato's)
1 oz /30g butter, melted plus a little extra for greasing
1/2tsp salt
1 medium egg
4 oz/115g plain flour / all purpose flour, plus a little extra for rolling out
1tsp baking powder

Preperation
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F/205°C/Gas 6
  2. Place the mashed potato in a large baking bowl and add all the other ingredients. Mix the ingredients together to create a light, but sticky dough.
  3. Heavily flour your work surface of board, if you don't use enough flour the dough will stick to the board.
  4. Roll out the dough to approximately ½ inch/1 cm thickness.
  5. Cut the dough into saucer-sized rounds. Score each round with a cross to mark 4 equal wedges. You can also make individual cakes by cutting with a round biscuit or scone cutter, the size you wish them to be.
  6. Grease a baking sheet with lots of butter. Carefully lay the rounds onto the sheet (they will be quite soft so you will need to handle carefully, a spatula helps here).
  7. Bake the rounds in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and risen. Once cooked lay onto a cooling rack and allow to cool slightly. These delicious rounds need to be eaten while they are freshly cooked and warm.
Alternantively:
If you don't want to bake the fadge in the oven, or if you have a griddle, then the fadge can also be cooked on the stove top on a griddle or heavy based frying pan. Cook each side of the fadge for 5 minutes until golden and risen and use as mentioned above.

If you can't eat the fadge immediately or you have made too many. Wrap the leftovers in aluminum foil and keep in the fridge. Warm in a hot pan or a warm oven before serving.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/eorecipes/r/Fadge-Irish-Potato-Bread-Recipe.htm

Now should it be in, Baking, Bread Making and Cakes or Vegetables and Mushrooms, it is a potato recipe? Or maybe Ethnic and Regional, as it is an Irish recipe?

See also Tattie Cakes (tattie scones)

Last edited:
Reactions: L_B
I am sorry but I am just not sold on this bread. I came with excitement and leave with, 'oh well, some other time'. I will sleep on it and see what happens by tomorrow. I'm much happier with my Tattie cakes which I might rename Tattie bakes.

Last edited:
I am sorry but I am just not sold on this bread. I came with excitement and leave with, 'oh well, some other time'. I will sleep on it and see what happens by tomorrow. I'm much happier with my Tattie cakes which I might rename Tattie bakes.
They are baked, then left to go cold before being reheated by frying or grilling (UK style).

Potato farls are much more of a bread than potato cakes are. Hard to explain the difference but the potato farls I know are made with buttermilk which is the raising agent with bicarb of soda. It adds to them something that I think would be missing in this recipe. Potato farls are thicker and much more of a bread replacement than a potato cake\tattie scone is. Tattie scones are instead of potatoes, potato farls are instead of bread. And if that does not have you confused nothing will! :o_o:

There is another recipe somewhere on cb for potato farls which is another name for these.

They are baked, then left to go cold before being reheated by frying or grilling (UK style).

Potato farls are much more of a bread than potato cakes are. Hard to explain the difference but the potato farls I know are made with buttermilk which is the raising agent with bicarb of soda. It adds to them something that I think would be missing in this recipe. Potato farls are thicker and much more of a bread replacement than a potato cake\tattie scone is. Tattie scones are instead of potatoes, potato farls are instead of bread. And if that does not have you confused nothing will! :o_o:

There is another recipe somewhere on cb for potato farls which is
another name for these.
What's to confuse folk?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom