Tell Us About Your Culinary Bucket List

I was wondering about that. Not even sure what qualifies as a back porch. Suffice it to say I've never had one in any house I lived in, to my knowledge!
Both our houses in the UK had a smallish little patio in the back, but I wouldn't classify it as a back porch.

One was a poured concrete slab, and the other was a much nicer stone one, both maybe 6'x8' or so - just large enough to hold a couple of potted plants and a little bistro table and chairs.

No fridge, though. :wink:

I have been fortunate to travel and cross a few off my bucket list, but I still have a long list. These 3 spring to mind immediately:
- I want to enjoy authentic Poke in Hawaii. I've made poke with local tuna I've caught here in Florida, but never having had the real thing or been to Hawaii, I would very much like to go and accomplish both.
- One day in the far future, I want to visit South Korea and eat pretty much everything in sight 😅 but perhaps would be most looking forward to any dish containing Hanwoo Beef.
- I want to try Haggis and enjoy some steak pies and drink Scotch Whisky in Scotland. Hoping to cross this one off the bucket list next spring.
I've been lucky enough to go to those 3 places , and I can tell you they are worth it.

Russ

I was hoping to take a BBQ tour in the US before the pandemic..it was loosely planned and I was starting the research..I'm not interested in large cities, but more small towns and communities where you find the real culture...

I was wondering about that. Not even sure what qualifies as a back porch. Suffice it to say I've never had one in any house I lived in, to my knowledge!
Growing up we had a porch, about 6x6 ft. Next 2 places I lived no porch , still none where I am but decking about 5 meters a 2 meters. With table and chairs on it. French doors.
No fridge but I'm kinda thinking this through now. ??

Russ

I was hoping to take a BBQ tour in the US before the pandemic..it was loosely planned and I was starting the research..I'm not interested in large cities, but more small towns and communities where you find the real culture...

Oh, you gotta' go to the Texas Hill Country. Fly into Austin, then head out of town (although there are good BBQ places in Austin). I used to lead a Bluebonnets (state flower) and BBQ driving tour every spring, so I can send you to the right places.

Louie Mueller Barbecue - Wikipedia

Snow's BBQ - Wikipedia (only open one day per week -- Saturday from 8AM until they run out of meat)

CD

Last edited:
Oh, you gotta' go to the Texas Hill Country. Fly into Austin, then head out of town (although there are good BBQ places in Austin). I used to lead a Bluebonnets (state flower) and BBQ driving tour every spring, so I can send you to the right places.

CD
Sounds great..Some day..I have two and half years left on this lease..I was hoping to go between jobs but the pandemic sort of kiboshed that..that is good info, though..I wasn't planning on heading that far South..but I do have an old friend in Austin..

Sounds great..Some day..I have two and half years left on this lease..I was hoping to go between jobs but the pandemic sort of kiboshed that..that is good info, though..I wasn't planning on heading that far South..but I do have an old friend in Austin..

If you don't include Texas Beef BBQ on your tour, you are missing one of the great American BBQ styles. St. Louis pork ribs, Carolina whole hog, and Texas brisket and beef ribs are all legendary in the US. They are all different, but all good.

CD

Yeah..I realize that...I was going to drive the tour in my car..that's pretty far away...But, that's not saying I wouldn't love to go..It is still in the planning stages for now..and I've always wanted to go to Texas
And I also thought I would swing by and eat one of those 72 ounce steak challenges :wink:

Yeah..I realize that...I was going to drive the tour in my car..that's pretty far away...But, that's not saying I wouldn't love to go..It is still in the planning stages for now..and I've always wanted to go to Texas
And I also thought I would swing by and eat one of those 72 ounce steak challenges :wink:

The Big Texan, the place with the 72oz steak challenge, is way off the beaten path if you are driving and don't have a lot of time. The steaks there are actually pretty good, although you can do better without going that far out of the way.

You can catch I-35 in Kansas City (another famous BBQ town), and it will take you all the way to Austin, with Dallas along the way. Oklahoma City is along the way, too. Both Dallas and OKC are known for good steaks.

CD

The Big Texan, the place with the 72oz steak challenge, is way off the beaten path if you are driving and don't have a lot of time. The steaks there are actually pretty good, although you can do better without going that far out of the way.

You can catch I-35 in Kansas City (another famous BBQ town), and it will take you all the way to Austin, with Dallas along the way. Oklahoma City is along the way, too. Both Dallas and OKC are known for good steaks.

CD
Went to the Big Texan a coupla times, really cool place on I-40 W. We made the mistake of being on the East side of Interstate 40 and had a heck of a time getting to the joint in the middle of a Texas sized downpour!
Rocklobster I would so do a BBQ road trip, although we've pretty much done all of the styles of American Barbeque in our wandering over the past almost 15 years, so worth it!

I think I've said before that I am trying to cook various cuisines from around the world. Yes.

But there are some things that I just plain miss out on during the pandemic and after moving further south from the metropolitan Bay Area. Among these are gyro sandwiches. I have been craving for a gyro. And the L&L Hawaiian Barbecue restaurant up in Milpitas has been sorely missed. San Jose's Fish Market restaurant has also been a fav of mine that I haven't been to in ages.

There are some things that I have hunted down on the web and cooked up this year, but I have yet to really make any stunning sushi meals and there is much to be missed there. There is a Japanese restaurant in the Cupertino area that is just too hard to not visit for so long a time. And I have recently mentioned dim sum.

So, I suppose, getting up north to drop in on these various restaurants would be on my bucket list, along with my continued exploration of global cuisines. But I'm not sure I want to make the trip just yet.
Miss, miss, miss, miss and miss! 🥺

I have been fortunate to travel and cross a few off my bucket list, but I still have a long list. These 3 spring to mind immediately:
- I want to enjoy authentic Poke in Hawaii. I've made poke with local tuna I've caught here in Florida, but never having had the real thing or been to Hawaii, I would very much like to go and accomplish both.
- One day in the far future, I want to visit South Korea and eat pretty much everything in sight 😅 but perhaps would be most looking forward to any dish containing Hanwoo Beef.
- I want to try Haggis and enjoy some steak pies and drink Scotch Whisky in Scotland. Hoping to cross this one off the bucket list next spring.
When we go home, we have a plate of all different sorts of Poke for dinner almost every night on our lanai, MISS!
DSC00208.JPG

<edit-sorry, from the bottom of the plate, Salmon, Ahi or Tuna, Tako or Octopus and Krab-faux crab or Surimi. in the middle of the plate is steamed White Rice topped with Soy Sauce and Furikake>
Korean food, MMM!!
Haggis, well ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom