Thanksgiving 2022

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
4:06 PM
First of all, I have to laugh, because there's a Halloween 2022 topic, and a Christmas 2022 topic. Even here, Thanksgiving gets pushed out of the way! :laugh:

Anyway, starting the topic because I spoke with my niece today. She lives a couple of hours away, and that's where we're going for Thanksgiving this year. We sorted out what I'm to bring to contribute to the meal:

Cheese Delights - little crackers with shredded cheese in them (I've posted them here before)
Pub cheese spread - beer cheese spread packed into a crock (I've also posted that here before)
Bread Dressing/Stuffing
Pumpkin pie - made with a maple cream sauce and candied pecans to sprinkle over (I've probably posted that before)
Honey cake - using Windigo 's recipe
Loaf of homemade bread (or rolls, probably those pumpernickel ones I just posted a week or so ago)
Wine and beer (or maybe a Thanksgiving-inspired cocktail in a thermos...or maybe all three!)

First of all, I have to laugh, because there's a Halloween 2022 topic, and a Christmas 2022 topic. Even here, Thanksgiving gets pushed out of the way! :laugh:

Anyway, starting the topic because I spoke with my niece today. She lives a couple of hours away, and that's where we're going for Thanksgiving this year. We sorted out what I'm to bring to contribute to the meal:

Cheese Delights - little crackers with shredded cheese in them (I've posted them here before)
Pub cheese spread - beer cheese spread packed into a crock (I've also posted that here before)
Bread Dressing/Stuffing
Pumpkin pie - made with a maple cream sauce and candied pecans to sprinkle over (I've probably posted that before)
Loaf of homemade bread (or rolls, probably those pumpernickel ones I just posted a week or so ago)
Wine and beer (or maybe a Thanksgiving-inspired cocktail in a thermos...or maybe all three!)
It sounds great! Looking forward to hearing how it worked out.

I still have to decide - and will so by tomorrow - what i am bringing to T-Day celebrations here. I am leaning towards a scalloped potato with cheese and veggies dish, punctuated with cranberries for that seasonal atmosphere.

But will have to check tomorrow (at site) to see what's already been claimed.

I will bring wine, but that's not a recipe....

Bread Dressing/Stuffing
Everything sounds great, although I hope the candied pecans are an optional thing for those who want them on a pumpkin pie (I won't).

Everything sounds great, although I hope the candied pecans are an optional thing for those who want them on a pumpkin pie (I won't).
Yeah, both the cream and the nuts are additions. I just did an inventory, and it’s going to be hazelnuts, not pecans.

My mom, my sister and I will be having the exact same T-Day meal we have had for the las 60 years, when with my mom. It is carved in stone. Turkey (usually overcooked, but I'm going to try to change that) and gravy, stuffing (although out of the bird this year), mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, canned cranberry sauce, and a dessert of pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

There are so many other things I would rather make/eat, but we absolutely have to do what we've done forever, or my mom will be very unhappy. All I can do is try to add some flavor (seasonings), and try not to let my sister overcook the bird.

CD

Tentative Menu Plans (as of 11/13/2022) still may change.

(Lots of variety. Small batches of each side dish/appy and a small turkey breast or a small whole turkey - haven't decided which)

Appetizers/Lunch

Cream Cheese, Green Olive, and Nut Poppers
Marinated Mushrooms
Stuffed Mushrooms

Entrée

Turkey
Green Bean Casserole
Glazed Carrots
Creamed Pearl Onions
Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash
Mashed Turnip Root and Yukon potatoes
Steamed Brussels Sprouts
Stuffing/Dressing
Sautéed mushrooms
Turkey Gravy (Homemade)
Cranberry/Orange Relish (Homemade)

Dessert

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Blackberry Cobbler
Whipped Cream

Beverages

Iced Tea/Soda
Sparkling Cranberry Apple Cider
Prosecco

Last edited:
Baked shell for my upcoming pumpkin pie:

I’ve got a bubble there on the lower left, but considering how spectacularly wrong some of my pie crusts have gone, I’m ok with that.

Back
Top Bottom