Thanksgiving 2023

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
10:08 PM
🎶 “Oh turkey bird, oh turkey bird,
How crispy is thy ski-in.” 🎶

Ok, sitting here today working out my T’day menu, figured it’s as good a time as any to open the topic up for 2023.

Just moments ago worked out my menu:

Cheese spread and crackers
Champagne

Garlic-herb roasted turkey crown
Garlic mashed potato bake
Sticky-mulled cider carrots
Spiced red cabbage
Sausage, sage, and onion stuffing
Gravy
Classic bread sauce
Caramelized cranberry relish
Bread rolls
Wine & beer

Pumpkin pie
French apple cake
Tea

Except for the desserts (I may change that cake up later), all the recipes are from a collection of British cooking magazines I’ve assembled over the years, just doing something fun - using British recipes for my American holiday.

We've come to the conclusion that "the two moms" should stay in -house.
AND their Senior Living Community puts out some great spreads, and no dishes to wash :smug:
So I'll reserve a table for 6 early to insure that we can all sit together.
Normally, this is how a plate on Thanksgiving would typically look:
DSC00771.JPG

I will be cooking for my mom, which means we will have the exact same T-day meal she has had her entire life. No substitutions.

Turkey, unseasoned (although it won't be overcooked like my parents served it)
Stuffing (not cooked in the bird, as my parents did, which is why the turkey had to be overcooked)
Candied sweet potatoes with mini marshmallows
Green bean casserole (using only canned ingredients)
Mashed potatoes (no butter or seasoning, just skim milk)
Gravy (well, what my mom calls gravy)
Pumpkin pie and whipped cream (store bought crust, canned pumpkin pie filling, canned whipped cream)

I once suggested some made-from-scratch substitutions, and got the hairy eyeball. I won't do that again. :stop:

CD

Tentative Thanksgiving Menu 2023

Appetizers

Cream Cheese, Green Olive, and Nuts Poppers
Marinated Mushrooms (Store-bought)
Stuffed Mushrooms

Entrée

Roasted Turkey
Turkey Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Glazed Carrots
Creamed Pearl Onions
Sweet Potato Casserole
Mashed Turnip Root, Yukon potatoes
Brussels Sprouts
Stuffing
Sautéed mushrooms
Cranberry/Tangerine Relish (Homemade)
Cranberry Sauce - Canned
Crescent Rolls - Store-bought

Dessert

Apple pie (Homemade)
Pumpkin pie - Store-bought
Berry Fruit Cobbler (Homemade)
Vanilla Ice Cream
Whipped cream

Beverages

Soda
Sparkling Cranberry Apple Cider
Apple Cider
Eggnog

…I’ve already taken the day off work for football-watching purposes.
Well, since it’s a big football day over here, we’ll roll that in as well - making any special snacks or tailgating-type things for Thanksfootballing? 🦃 🏈

Well, since it’s a big football day over here, we’ll roll that in as well - making any special snacks or tailgating-type things for Thanksfootballing? 🦃 🏈

I think Herbaceous is talking about the same football -- a Bills fan, I believe. There are three NFL games on. None of the teams playing interest me.

CD

^^CaseyDog is correct. I’m an NFL fan and I like to take the day off, go over to my parents’ place, and watch the games. I’ve worked for the sane employer for a long time, so I accumulate vacation at a pretty fast rate and always have a couple extra days in the bank I can take here and there.

Go Bills! (although I gave been sorely disappointed with their performance this year…yeesh).

^^CaseyDog is correct. I’m an NFL fan and I like to take the day off, go over to my parents’ place, and watch the games. I’ve worked for the sane employer for a long time, so I accumulate vacation at a pretty fast rate and always have a couple extra days in the bank I can take here and there.

Go Bills! (although I gave been sorely disappointed with their performance this year…yeesh).

I have not been happy about my Steelers this year, although they did beat the Bills 27-15 in the pre-season. :D

Even though I live in Dallas, I hate the Cowboys. I am a Rangers (baseball) fan, so I'm happy about the WS win. My great grandfather emigrated from Torino to Pittsburgh, and my grandfather and father were born and raised there. So, being a Steelers fan is in my DNA. :laugh:

CD

Last night, DH & I were watching this young man who will make a recipe straight out of a famous chef/cook/author's cookbook. Last might it was Julia Childs entire Thanksgiving meal made in one day! :ohmy:
I've never done that before.
I mean to say that I've never made the Cranberry Relish, Pie, Mash, Veg, Stuffing, Gravy and Bird all in one go, ever.
I thought about this video all night and as DH & I were crawling into bed I said, "Ya know, I'm glad that we're going over to Mom's Community for Thanksgiving Buffet that someone else is making AND cleaning up. I just don't have the energy or love to do it this year."
The Love, that's the most important thing about it all, IMHO anyways.
If I'm not feeling it, everything comes out horribly.

I mean to say that I've never made the Cranberry Relish, Pie, Mash, Veg, Stuffing, Gravy and Bird all in one go, ever.
Until a couple of years ago, that’s the only way I ever did it (and Christmas, too). I always felt (and still do, somewhat) that making things ahead of time meant that on the day, when everything should be its best, I was basically serving up warmed-over leftovers.

Now, though, I do make as much as possible ahead of time, and prep ahead of time, and it does help. I’m generally left with just doing the turkey and the gravy on the day now.

I kinda feel guilty that I'm not making the family favorites, but I can always do some of the dishes in piece meal, like Grandma Eva's Stuffing Casserole morphed into Stuffin' Muffins for the freezer.
DSC00775.JPG

I do have a coupla Turkey loins in the deep freeze as well... just not now.

Back
Top Bottom