Thanksgiving 2023

Mom has a sinus infection -- we tried to take her to the doctor yesterday, but didn't want to go.

Anyway, we are going to bring some Thanksgiving dinner to her this afternoon. She was going to come over to my sister's house for dinner, and so her dog could play in the yard. I'll take her dog for a nice walk while we are over there.

Mom is convinced she has Covid, so we can't stay long and MUST wear masks. The symptoms aren't right for Covid, but dead on for a sinus infection, which she gets from time to time.

CD

Snacks table:

IMG_6874.jpeg

I guess the pie isn’t a snack, but there it is.

Those saltines are perfect for that cheese spread, kaneohegirlinaz!

Here’re the words to go with the pics above:

Turkey - that was a garlic-herb turkey breast, where I loosened the skin and rubbed Boursin cheese all over the breast. I had my doubts, and it was a messy PITA to put together, but it was excellent!

My favorite, just because of my stupidity paying off, has to be that sausage stuffing. That’s it with the sage leaves on top.

What happened was, I was looking for an easy stuffing recipe, and saw that one on BBC Good Food and I liked how it was sliced, instead of just loose. Glanced at the recipe…sausage…onion…bread…yeah, it’s just a basic stuffing, that’ll do.

Went to make it, and I realized pretty quickly that it wasn’t bread stuffing with a bit of sausage in it (very common here), but was instead sausage stuffing with a bit of bread(crumbs) in it.

Yeah, it’s essentially sausage meatloaf, but I was a-ok with that. It was lovely! Sage sausage, apples, spiced up with some mace…loved it.

Garlic-baked mashed potatoes were excellent as well, nice little mix of breadcrumbs and Gruyère cheese on there.

Funny thing - it called for fresh thyme leaves, unchopped, sprinkled over, I did that last night, and when it went to put the plastic wrap over it (prepped last night to bake today), the static electricity caused some of the thyme leaves to jump about randomly, and I thought, “Oh 💩, there’re bugs in my thyme!”

I took the wrap off, went over it, couldn’t find anything amiss, put the wrap back on…there go the bugs again!

Bad eyesight and all, it took me a good four tries to realize it was the thyme moving all over.

Carrots were glazed in apple juice, butter, and hard cider, and the cabbage was cooked in orange juice and had golden raisins added in. Both were flavored up with cinnamon, star anise, things like that.

To the left of the turkey are bread stuffing patties, just like our grandma used to make. Remember that sausage stuffi-, er… meatloaf? I’d asked my sis to make some patties in case my stuffing didn’t turn out, and I’m glad she did. Thanksgiving ain’t Thanksgiving without a lot of that stuffing.

The bread sauce…first time making it, and it’s excellent. That’ll show up again and again. I thought for sure my sis would turn her nose up at it, but she loved it - “It’s like Cream of Wheat, but with Christmas spices in it!”

That’s it for the meal rundown - everything was just about perfect, foodwise, if I do say so myself. Nothing dry, nothing over or undercooked, everything ready at the same time…it all worked out really well.

Now…off to plan Christmas dinner…

Here’re the words to go with the pics above:

Turkey - that was a garlic-herb turkey breast, where I loosened the skin and rubbed Boursin cheese all over the breast. I had my doubts, and it was a messy PITA to put together, but it was excellent!

My favorite, just because of my stupidity paying off, has to be that sausage stuffing. That’s it with the sage leaves on top.

What happened was, I was looking for an easy stuffing recipe, and saw that one on BBC Good Food and I liked how it was sliced, instead of just loose. Glanced at the recipe…sausage…onion…bread…yeah, it’s just a basic stuffing, that’ll do.

Went to make it, and I realized pretty quickly that it wasn’t bread stuffing with a bit of sausage in it (very common here), but was instead sausage stuffing with a bit of bread(crumbs) in it.

Yeah, it’s essentially sausage meatloaf, but I was a-ok with that. It was lovely! Sage sausage, apples, spiced up with some mace…loved it.

Garlic-baked mashed potatoes were excellent as well, nice little mix of breadcrumbs and Gruyère cheese on there.

Funny thing - it called for fresh thyme leaves, unchopped, sprinkled over, I did that last night, and when it went to put the plastic wrap over it (prepped last night to bake today), the static electricity caused some of the thyme leaves to jump about randomly, and I thought, “Oh 💩, there’re bugs in my thyme!”

I took the wrap off, went over it, couldn’t find anything amiss, put the wrap back on…there go the bugs again!

Bad eyesight and all, it took me a good four tries to realize it was the thyme moving all over.

Carrots were glazed in apple juice, butter, and hard cider, and the cabbage was cooked in orange juice and had golden raisins added in. Both were flavored up with cinnamon, star anise, things like that.

To the left of the turkey are bread stuffing patties, just like our grandma used to make. Remember that sausage stuffi-, er… meatloaf? I’d asked my sis to make some patties in case my stuffing didn’t turn out, and I’m glad she did. Thanksgiving ain’t Thanksgiving without a lot of that stuffing.

The bread sauce…first time making it, and it’s excellent. That’ll show up again and again. I thought for sure my sis would turn her nose up at it, but she loved it - “It’s like Cream of Wheat, but with Christmas spices in it!”

That’s it for the meal rundown - everything was just about perfect, foodwise, if I do say so myself. Nothing dry, nothing over or undercooked, everything ready at the same time…it all worked out really well.

Now…off to plan Christmas dinner…
Sounds perfect 👌
Glad you liked the stuffing but even better the bread sauce. A lot of people don’t because there are some truly awful versions out there!
What bread sauce recipe did you use?

The two healthiest things on the table are two things I don't like. :laugh:

I guess I'd have had meat, with a side of meat, and two sides of carbs. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:

CD

Sounds perfect 👌
Glad you liked the stuffing but even better the bread sauce. A lot of people don’t because there are some truly awful versions out there!
What bread sauce recipe did you use?
My brother loves people from other cultures because, like me, he appreciates differences…eccentricities even, and bread sauce isn’t something that’s really known here at all, so I knew he’d get a kick out of it.

I sent him a little 1-minute video on bread sauce, and said, “Hey, wish you were here, I’m making a British holiday staple!” - when he lived here, he’d come by about once a month and I’d make him “weird” British food for him to try, so there’s a history there.

This was his response: “Very interesting. And to think, those people used to rule the world.”

:laugh:

Obviously, the beauty of bread sauce was lost on him. :wink:

The recipe I used was for “Classic Bread Sauce,” from an old GH magazine. I’m planning on posting it up, just to spread the word.

Thanksgiving lunch at Mom's Senior Living Community.
Everything that I tried was excellent!
It's BYOB or the Cocktail Special of the day, which was a Caramel Apple Mimosa ... we did their Cocktail Special last month - NOPE! "Could I have a glass of just plain Sparking Wine please?"
But of Course ... I got three because the head "lunch lady" likes me :laugh: "Oh Hi Mrs so-and-so's daughter, I haven't seen you in awhile, where have you been? I've missed you" :hug:She's so sweet. She knows that I'm a foodie; that I take photos of all of the food and make sure that this town knows about them ... they cater now and I want to give them free publicity!
And did I say that this cost each resident $16 and each of their guests are only $22 ... we can't eat out at a sit down restaurant for that little money here.

Obviously, the beauty of bread sauce was lost on him.
Bread sauce is an utter, total, absolutely catastrophic, vile and disgusting abberation; an insult to good food.
When I'm Prime Minister of the World, I shall make sure that those who make bread sauce are condemned to solitary confinement for life.
:hyper: :hyper: :cool: :cool: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back
Top Bottom