Thanksgiving Meal 2020

I hope you don't take offense to the question. I find it amazing that you have so many photos and know where to grab them for your posts. ;-0
Not at all, I have wonderful memories of the food I have eaten.
Are those dill pickles?
I grew up with these, they are called Hamish in Yiddish. After 3/4 days in the brine they are called "new greens" which are my favorite because they are crisp as an apple.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8z8EraK_xk&ab_channel=WWLP-22News

Just got my turkey late this morning. Local farmer and all. He killed it, I took it home to de-feather and gut it. It is now sitting in the fridge, where it will be hanging out overnight. Then I'll freeze it.

Feet will go into the stock I'll be making Monday - along with other bits and pieces of poultry already in my freezer. This will end up as stock used in the making of the dressing/stuffing for the turkey (which will be served next SATURDAY, which is when I'll have a house guest to share it with). The heart, gizzard and neck will end up in the gravy, chopped relatively fine. This all will be frozen for a few days, too. I will weigh the turkey so I know best when to start to thaw her.

My turkey is a young hen who injured her leg and so had to be put down. The farmer had intended for her to mature and lay eggs, but not to be. She's a Bronze turkey, and has been free-ranged. So she should taste good! I saved a few of her feathers.

At the same time, I got four stewing hens which I have to put down myself. Stewing hens are three or something years old and aren't laying as many eggs any more, so they will be tougher due to age. . I will do one in a few minutes and the rest tomorrow. I may add their feet to the poultry stock, too. I need a physical break as my table outside is very uncomfortable (way too low, like all campsite tables are, even if sitting in a chair).

Just got my turkey late this morning. Local farmer and all. He killed it, I took it home to de-feather and gut it. It is now sitting in the fridge, where it will be hanging out overnight. Then I'll freeze it.

Feet will go into the stock I'll be making Monday - along with other bits and pieces of poultry already in my freezer. This will end up as stock used in the making of the dressing/stuffing for the turkey (which will be served next SATURDAY, which is when I'll have a house guest to share it with). The heart, gizzard and neck will end up in the gravy, chopped relatively fine. This all will be frozen for a few days, too. I will weigh the turkey so I know best when to start to thaw her.

My turkey is a young hen who injured her leg and so had to be put down. The farmer had intended for her to mature and lay eggs, but not to be. She's a Bronze turkey, and has been free-ranged. So she should taste good! I saved a few of her feathers.

At the same time, I got four stewing hens which I have to put down myself. Stewing hens are three or something years old and aren't laying as many eggs any more, so they will be tougher due to age. . I will do one in a few minutes and the rest tomorrow. I may add their feet to the poultry stock, too. I need a physical break as my table outside is very uncomfortable (way too low, like all campsite tables are, even if sitting in a chair).
Admirable Catters mate. I particularly applaud your use of stewing hens (kokos). They a frequent visitors to our kitchen here. They were not impossible to find in the UK but we had to drive to a market in Lancashire to get them.Poultry farmers in the UK tend to sell them for pet food as there is little demand for human consumption.
This is the famous Zagorjie Turkey , unfortunately one of the big farms has been hit by bird flu and has had to cull his flock. This means shortages.
1605936394753.png
This is how the Croatians around Zagreb cook them for a celebration
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZI4jUl4JI&ab_channel=ZAGREBTOURIST

I have started my preps for the Thanksgiving Dinner I am sharing with a friend (the Saturday after the date).

I have leftover Greek Yogurt Cake in the freezer. In lieu of a pie, we will have this. I made this the previous weekend to this one. It is light and fluffy and I will add fruit over the top when serving.

I picked up my turkey on Friday. The farmer killed it for me but I took it home and "dressed" it - essentially when you think about it, a bit of "un-dressing" - plucked the feathers and de-gutted it. Saved the feet, gizzard, neck and heart. (Bone broth, gravy, gravy and gravy makings, respectively.) The bone broth will end up in the dressing with some of it in the gravy.

You let the poultry after cleaning sit in the fridge for 24-40 hours, then you freeze it. I cut off the feet yesterday and the rest of her is now frozen. She's only 5 pounds, dressed and cleaned. I will thaw her late Thursday for Saturday cooking.

At the moment, I am making the bone broth. It's chicken and turkey - the turkey contributions are its two cleaned feet. The chicken bones are the rest of it - more feet, wing tips, some necks. And already cooked from other meals - all sorts of bones and cartilage and spare scraps of meat. I only make bone broth out of poultry I raise myself, or that comes from either organic or local farms. If you are leeching stuff out of bones (actually pretty much just the cartilage) I figure I don't want to leech out other components. I found I have a plethora of chicken bones stashed away since I did this last spring. Toss in an onion or two, and a good dollop of vinegar (any regular kind - my hand alighted on the red vinegar), and set to boil, reduce to simmer and yeah, don't forget to add water to cover... You can skim off any scum at the early stages, which I just did.

At the same time, I also got 4 stewing hens from this farmer who sold me the turkey. Three of them so far have been butchered into the fridge --> freezer. I saved their feet and wing tips for the above. Well, except for one of those three - which I mentioned elsewhere today I plan to have for dinner - not happening since I don't have the milk for the dumplings. (My final shopping this week, which will include T-Day shopping things, will be tomorrow morning. I am so NOT running out just for milk!) That will be tomorrow, and any extra bones, wing tips and so forth from her will also end up in the bone broth. Can always make a smaller batch to add to the big batch, before I freeze it.

At any rate, this stock is under way.

Running up my shopping list: I already have a lot of the stuff, so NOT listed... My goal is to try to recreate as best as I can without having the actual recipes for my Mom's stuffing and gravy!

Saturday's Meal Grocery List:
  • Celery, fresh thyme, bread crumbs or a good quality loaf of bread I can allow to go stale, mushrooms, sausage (preferably Jimmy Dean's brand),. Fresh sage just to be safe. Am I low on butter? This is for the dressing/stuffing.
  • Nothing more needed for the turkey or the giblet gravy than I already have.
  • Some fresh fruit that would top the dessert cake nicely. NOT too sweet, this cake already is... (Thinking kiwi?) (Edit: Hmm, I have fresh cranberries, which I'd have to reduce down to a sauce... excellently appropriate, forget the kiwi!)
  • An appropriate wine.
  • A roaster pan, probably disposable, alas.
  • My friend will supply a starch and a green dish when she comes.

Thursday's Meal Grocery List: This is the one for just me and the cat...
  • A package of turkey thighs. Here these come as two thighs. One is sufficient for a meal, the other will be reserved for another dish.
  • Delicata squash if I can find? If not I already have a butternut.
I don't need anything else for Thursday. My plan is to make the T-day dish simple - that thigh, roasted (do NOT ask me what I think about turkey breast ...). I will mash some home grown potatoes and have some leafy greens as a side. No dessert needed as I'm not entertaining anybody, and cats should NOT eat sugar.

Last edited:
Today, purchased most of the remaining things I need for both Thanksgiving dates (Thursday and Saturday). Tomorrow Misfits Market produce will arrive, which will include celery - a major need.

The chicken/turkey stock made yesterday was strained last night, and got to congeal in the fridge today. I will aliquot it out in a couple of batches today (once I scrape off the fat from the top).

Going to try a pomegranate liqueur, but I suspect I want to change into clothing that if it stains, is either something that is too dark to notice that, or is something I really don't care about. Which leaves out the top I am wearing right now.

Reactions: mjd
Ohhhh, I made maple-cranberry relish/sauce yesterday: cranberries, OJ, zest, maple syrup, and a little water.

Reactions: mjd
Admirable Catters mate. I particularly applaud your use of stewing hens (kokos). They a frequent visitors to our kitchen here. They were not impossible to find in the UK but we had to drive to a market in Lancashire to get them.Poultry farmers in the UK tend to sell them for pet food as there is little demand for human consumption.
This is the famous Zagorjie Turkey , unfortunately one of the big farms has been hit by bird flu and has had to cull his flock. This means shortages. View attachment 50877This is how the Croatians around Zagreb cook them for a celebration
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZI4jUl4JI&ab_channel=ZAGREBTOURIST

animals (1).jpeg

I normally do anything but Turkey on T-Day. Sometimes, Lobster, sometimes, Filet Mignon, etc.

This year, I will do Turkey, but since I am a rogue hermit type, just a Turkey Breast portion, Mashed Potatoes, Home-made Stuffing, Turkey Gravy, Craberry Sauce (whole), a Salad and a Cabernet.

Nothing spectacular.

I normally do anything but Turkey on T-Day. Sometimes, Lobster, sometimes, Filet Mignon, etc.

This year, I will do Turkey, but since I am a rogue hermit type, just a Turkey Breast portion, Mashed Potatoes, Home-made Stuffing, Turkey Gravy, Craberry Sauce (whole), a Salad and a Cabernet.

Nothing spectacular.
Since you're a "rough hermit type," might I suggest crab?

(Hermit...crab...hermit crab...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:)

Back
Top Bottom