Thanksgiving Meal 2020

The turkey was slightly overcooked, but not terribly so, and the skin was finally as crispy as I like. :laugh:

Scalloped potatoes (done in the slow cooker) were top-shelf, just wonderful. Sweet potatoes were yuck, but that would describe the best of sweet potatoes anyway. These were mashed with green onions, parsley, s & p, sour cream, and butter.

Stuffing was also magnificent. Once it sits overnight in the fridge, I'll patty it and fry it as a side. Gravy was the best I've ever made, and the relish was also good. Nice maple flavor.

Corn was middle-of-the-road; also done in the slow cooker, and made with cream, cream cheese, and butter, among other things.

That knot roll in the middle...that came from Walmart of all places, last-minute decision. It's a bit...unfortunate.

Good looking meal. :thumbsup: However, I can't imagine sweet potatoes mashed with those ingredients. It seems like they would clash.

CD

Reactions: mjd
Good looking meal. :thumbsup: However, I can't imagine sweet potatoes mashed with those ingredients. It seems like they would clash.

CD
Thanks. I was really pleased with the scalloped potatoes, gravy and the stuffing. I think the turkey would have been fine if I'd taken it out 15 minutes earlier, but it was too much work to do again (separating the skin and rubbing the meat down with herb butter, then pinning the skin back with toothpicks). That slowed me down today.

The punch earlier was fantastic. MrsT said it was the best punch she's ever had, so I have several recipes from this Thanksgiving that made the cut.

The sweet potatoes - It's just a savory recipe instead of a sweet one, made more like regular mashed potatoes. I absolutely cannot stomach sweet potatoes done with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, so I'm always looking for some other way to make them palatable. 30+ years...I should probably give up. :laugh:

Thanks. I was really pleased with the scalloped potatoes, gravy and the stuffing. I think the turkey would have been fine if I'd taken it out 15 minutes earlier, but it was too much work to do again (separating the skin and rubbing the meat down with herb butter, then pinning the skin back with toothpicks). That slowed me down today.

The punch earlier was fantastic. MrsT said it was the best punch she's ever had, so I have several recipes from this Thanksgiving that made the cut.

The sweet potatoes - It's just a savory recipe instead of a sweet one, made more like regular mashed potatoes. I absolutely cannot stomach sweet potatoes done with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, so I'm always looking for some other way to make them palatable. 30+ years...I should probably give up. :laugh:

We went to the Dean's house one year for Thanksgiving. His wife made white potatoes and sweet potatoes mixed together. They were tasty. It was a different flavor in each bite. I didn't remember that until just this moment. Maybe I'll try that next time I have a craving for potatoes.

Well yeah. If you don't like sweet potatoes, don't eat them. It is not a Thanksgiving requirement. I just can't see sweet potatoes and green onions playing well together.

CD

The turkey was slightly overcooked, but not terribly so, and the skin was finally as crispy as I like. :laugh:

Scalloped potatoes (done in the slow cooker) were top-shelf, just wonderful. Sweet potatoes were yuck, but that would describe the best of sweet potatoes anyway. These were mashed with green onions, parsley, s & p, sour cream, and butter.

Stuffing was also magnificent. Once it sits overnight in the fridge, I'll patty it and fry it as a side. Gravy was the best I've ever made, and the relish was also good. Nice maple flavor.

Corn was middle-of-the-road; also done in the slow cooker, and made with cream, cream cheese, and butter, among other things.

That knot roll in the middle...that came from Walmart of all places, last-minute decision. It's a bit...unfortunate.
On balance a good meal then? Hope so - you put in a lot of effort.

I can't stand sweet potatoes, I've tried!

Okay, Turkey breast and sous vide were made for each other. Due to the longer cooking time, you can cook to a lower temperature -- in my case, 145F, and still completely kill any bacteria.

My turkey breast came out of the water bath, and I did a quick sear in a cast iron pan with canola oil and butter. It was amazing. So tender and juicy. My knife sliced through it like butter. The texture was perfect.

CD

I absolutely cannot stomach sweet potatoes done with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, so I'm always looking for some other way to make them palatable. 30+ years...I should probably give up. :laugh:

I feel the same way. I only know of one good recipe for them (for my palate). Whether you would like it I don't know. I will try to find it and post separately. Its from Peter Gordon a chef who came originally from New Zealand.

Okay, Turkey breast and sous vide were made for each other. Due to the longer cooking time, you can cook to a lower temperature -- in my case, 145F, and still completely kill any bacteria.

This is something I will try! The only problem is you can't really buy separate turkey breasts in the UK. Or at least, not that I've seen.

DD#1 and hubby were scheduled to come to our house but we had a sudden local mega-covid outbreak - so they didn't.
which means....lots of leftovers. we pared it back to bird, deviled eggs, stuffing, candied sweet potato, green bean casserole & gravy . . .

Back
Top Bottom