Thanksgiving

Karen W

Über Member
Local time
4:42 AM
This Thursday, in the United States, it's Thanksgiving. It's one of, if not the biggest, cooking and eating holidays of the year. What's on your menu? What are you cooking up this Thanksgiving?

We in the UK have adopted many events from the US like Halloween i wonder why we don't have a thanks giving day! I'd happily cook up some treats!

So would I, although I'm not entirely sure what we would be 'giving thanks' for in the UK. OTOH the American tradition has mixed roots so I am sure we could invent a reason.

Be thankful we haven’t completely messed up our country yet! However on that basis thanks giving might be a 1 year thing as by next year who knows where we will be :)

Turkey only at Xmas here as well. And now I just buy a turkey rolled up roast, Brest meat with a stuffing. Thought I had a pic. Nah. With cranberry jelly,yummy.

Russ

image.jpg
We do Halloween though. My grandkids last time.

Russ

Turkey only at Xmas here as well. And now I just buy a turkey rolled up roast, Brest meat with a stuffing. Thought I had a pic. Nah. With cranberry jelly,yummy.

Russ

The breast/white meat is my favorite part. Love the stuffing and cranberry sauce too.

May do turkey tenderloins with mushroom marsala sauce, since I'm not a fan of gravy.

Do you guys always have turkey at Thanksgiving? At Christmas in the UK that has become the tradition.

I do. I think most people have turkey, Some might have a ham as well. One of the things I love about Thanksgiving/ turkey, is it's one of the rare occasions when I like leftovers, like turkey sandwiches, turkey tetrazzini, and I'll bet that's where turkey croquettes came from.

Turkey Tetrazzini
Gobble, gobble

https://shewearsmanyhats.com/turkey-tetrazzini-recipe/

Last edited:
I do. I think most people have turkey, Some might have a ham as well. One of the things I love about turkey, is the rare occasion when I like leftovers like turkey sandwiches, turkey tetrazzini, and I'll bet that's where turkey croquettes came from.

Turkey Tetrazzini
Gobble, gobble

https://shewearsmanyhats.com/turkey-tetrazzini-recipe/

I love leftover turkey - maybe more than the original roasted turkey!

So would I, although I'm not entirely sure what we would be 'giving thanks' for in the UK. OTOH the American tradition has mixed roots so I am sure we could invent a reason.

Be thankful that the relatives are leaving after dessert. Hopefully :)

What do you guys usually serve with your Christmas turkey?

I'm smoking a fresh turkey over peach wood. I'll wet brine it over night. Sides will be:
Brussel sprouts
Sweet potatoes done "Bananas Foster" style
My Oma's dressing
There will be a can of cranberry jelly/sauce in the fridge for the after dinner sandwiches (my favorite part).

Back
Top Bottom