The best bits of a chicken are...

I grew up eating fried chicken livers, dredged in salt and pepper seasoned flour, then pan fried., mashed potatoes with a gravy made from some of the frying grease, and usually country green beans. Craig's brother liked them too that way, except with the extra step of wrapping a piece of bacon around each one, then dredge and fry. Craig really doesn't like them on their own, but he'll happily eat dirty rice and pate made with them.

We made the Spaghetti Caruso once, except we had to use mixed reddish and pale livers (mostly reddish) instead of the pale yellow ones as they just aren't sold that way. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. Maybe it would be different if you could get the right livers (or maybe use B grade foie gras if you wanted to spend the $).

I do use livers toward the very end when I make my multi-meat bolognese sauce. They really give a rich flavor/texture to the sauce.

Last edited:
You never made pate?? It's on my list this week.

Russ
A little rich for my blood. Don't see it around much here anymore. Squeamish about working with liver. Once in awhile I will have chopped liver at a Deli. Do like my grandma's potato knishes filled with liver and onions. Might have to go to New York to find anything remotely similar. Liver and onions with bacon and a side of mashed potatoes is a treat.

A little rich for my blood. Don't see it around much here anymore. Squeamish about working with liver. Once in awhile I will have chopped liver at a Deli. Do like my grandma's potato knishes filled with liver and onions. Might have to go to New York to find anything remotely similar. Liver and onions with bacon and a side of mashed potatoes is a treat.

I will post pics of mine when I do.

Russ

Favorite bits of chicken: Dark meat, hands down. Whether thigh, leg, wing, back, oyster in the back, bit that goes over the fence last. Thighs are the best of those, however. Oh, and the heart and gizzard are seriously appreciated.

Not fond of the breast meat - it works if doctored into a cordon bleu or something to give it some yumminess.

Finally ate good chicken breast in its own right about a year ago - I made it sous vide. Problem with breast is overcooked it is dry, and undercooked it is unhealthy (and probably not appealing anyway). Such a narrow range to work with! I set the sous vide at 148 F / 64-65 C. Worked wonderfully, and the enclosed bag meant the juices were still available. Cook 1.5 to 3 hours at this temp - which being held at this temp for that time is sufficient to kill the nasties.

Wings - I like buffalo wings, preferably not breaded. Not sweet, but mildly hot.

The heart is absolutely my favorite morsel on the chicken. It is distressing that whole birds sold here no longer seem to leave the innards in the bag.

I use the chicken feet for stock. Makes a very rich stock with innate gelatin. I have had them cooked at a Chinese dim sum, and liked them but a bit intensive to work at for eating often.

I save up the livers for a pate once I accumulate enough to make the effort worthwhile.

Last edited:
Favorite bits of chicken: Dark meat, hands down. Whether thigh, leg, wing, back, oyster in the back, bit that goes over the fence last. Thighs are the best of those, however. Oh, and the heart and gizzard are seriously appreciated.

Not fond of the breast meat - it works if doctored into a cordon bleu or something to give it some yumminess.

Finally ate good chicken breast in its own right about a year ago - I made it sous vide. Problem with breast is overcooked it is dry, and undercooked it is unhealthy (and probably not appealing anyway). Such a narrow range to work with! I set the sous vide at 148 F / 64-65 C. Worked wonderfully, and the enclosed bag meant the juices were still available. Cook 1.5 to 3 hours at this temp - which being held at this temp for that time is sufficient to kill the nasties.

Wings - I like buffalo wings, preferably not breaded. Not sweet, but mildly hot.

The heart is absolutely my favorite morsel on the chicken. It is distressing that whole birds sold here no longer seem to leave the innards in the bag.

I use the chicken feet for stock. Makes a very rich stock with innate gelatin. I have had them cooked at a Chinese dim sum, and liked them but a bit intensive to work at for eating often.

I save up the livers for a pate once I accumulate enough to make the effort worthwhile.
Yes to chicken cordon bleu. Some of my favorite breast dishes are chicken Piccatta-style, marsala, paillard, chicken parmesan, chicken salad w grapes or cherries, apples, walnuts or pecans, celery, mayo or yogurt, on toast or a buttery croissant. Comfort food.

Yes to chicken cordon bleu. Some of my favorite breast dishes are chicken Piccatta-style, marsala, paillard, chicken parmesan, chicken salad w grapes or cherries, apples, walnuts or pecans, celery, mayo or yogurt, on toast or a buttery croissant. Comfort food.

I've converted some of the above dishes to being made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, to improve (in my mind) the taste profile.

I will talk you through it when I make it this week. We are going for drinks n nibbles at a friends on Friday. About 8 of us going. I've been asked to make my pate. It really is good, I've altered it to my liking.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I often "alter" a dish to my liking, but try not to move too far away from the original - or it's another dish. I don't use hard boiled eggs in chopped liver. My grandmother didn't either. There's mushroom "pate," but I wouldn't call it pate.

Back
Top Bottom