The biggest UK vegan food launches 2019

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:59 AM
The Independent newspaper reports on the the rising trend of veganism in the UK:

With the number of vegans in the UK soaring to more than 3.5m in the past few years, following a plant-based diet has never been more trendy. Numerous brands have taken note of the rising interest in veganism and have launched new products. Earlier this year, Greggs made headlines with its new vegan sausage roll, while McDonald’s recently launched a vegan-friendly Happy Meal to rival its typically meaty options.

bnj0086-eu-nd-coconutterly-carameld-ingredient-0547-tw.jpg

These are the top new launches identified by The Independent. Have you tried any of these?

Ben and Jerry’s new ice cream flavour
McDonald’s vegan-friendly Happy Meals
Greggs
vegan sausage roll
Marks And Spencer’s Plant Kitchen
Crussh vegan Soho store
TGI Fridays vegan “bleeding” burger

KFC’s vegan chicken burger

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...cken-burger-greggs-sausage-roll-a8956656.html

I wouldn't mind trying vegan food but I do wonder how many additives replace the meat products-extra salt, sugar etc...
Wasn't there a bit of a hoo ha a few years ago regarding high levels of salt in Linda Mcartney's Veggie sausages :unsure:

I might try some of these, but won't switch over until I'd be convinced the ingredients are Real Food.

I make my own vegetarian burgers for vegetarian friends. I don't pretend to make them taste like meat; all that I as is that 1) they taste GOOD, and 2) they aren't full of faux stuff.

Smart moves on McD's and KFC's behalf - appealing to a broader range of consumers. Probably long overdue. Saw an ad for the vegan burger at McD, but haven't tried it. I like the filet of fish sandwich. (Think it's McD's.) Not a vegan, but tried a storebought brand called Boca burgers. Kind of bland, but might be good with lots of toppings.

Last edited:
A side note. Speaking of KFC, MCD, etc... If you like or eat food :wink: I watched an amazing program, in several parts, called "The food that built America" on the History channel. It goes back about 200 years, and was so interesting. It covers everything from how new foods, food refrigeration, fast food/drive ins, food safety came about, with a simple idea that took off, and are still around today. I.e. chocolate like Mr. Hershey's invention - when chocolate was only available to Kings and Queens, breakfast food from the Kellogg brothers, mcd's fast food assembly food prep line, frozen foods from Mr. Birdseye (when very few people had refrigeratora, and markets had none), Harlan Sander's (KFC) frying chicken in the back of a gas station, coca cola, etc. Real pioneers with a simple idea that turned into multi billion dollar industrys, and changed the way we eat/ate.

Last edited:
A side note. Speaking of KFC, MCD, etc... If you like or eat food :wink: I watched an amazing program, in several parts, called "The food that built America" on the History channel. It goes back about 200 years, and was so interesting. It covers everything from how inspirational new food ideas, food refrigeration, fast food/drove ins, food safety came about, with a simple idea that took off, and are still around today. I.e. chocolate products like Mr. Hershey's, breakfast food from the Kellogg brothers, mcd's fast food assembly food prep line, frozen foods from Mr. Birdseye, Harlan Sander's (KFC) frying chicken in the back of a gas station, coca cola, etc. Real pioneers with a simple idea.

Sounds very interesting. I'm fascinated by the history of cooking/food. Doubt I can get it, sadly - unless its online.

If you can find it, perhaps online?, it's an amazing story about feuds, families, competitiveness, failing and success, all set back in the time when... You almost feel like you went back in time.

Last edited:
Having tried Greggs vegan sausage roll a few weeks ago I am now a convert. I wish I knew how they do it, but it tastes better than the real thing! I blind tasted it to a couple of friends (die hard meat eaters) and they wouldn't believe that it wasn't real sausage meat.

As an aside, Greggs are doing really well at the moment, and having sampled their fare I'm not surprised. It's not the sort of shop I would normally use. I tend to favour smaller independents, but for some reason I can't find one that does the decent bacon sandwich that I need to kick start a Saturday morning in town, so I thought I would give Greggs a try. They don't cook freshly to order - everything is pre-cooked and kept warm, but they seem to have nailed it. The big surprise was the price. My first order was:

Bacon roll, with extra bacon (for my wife)
Bacon and omelette roll, with extra bacon and extra omelette (for me)
Vegan sausage roll (for I am a glutz)
Two coffees
£6.30 (to take away) In a town where you can pay £3.50 just for a cup of coffee. No wonder they have just opened their 2000'th shop.

Smart moves on McD's and KFC's behalf - appealing to a broader range of consumers. Probably long overdue. Saw an ad for the vegan burger at McD, but haven't tried it. I like the filet of fish sandwich. (Think it's McD's.) Not a vegan, but tried a storebought brand called Boca burgers. Kind of bland, but might be good with lots of toppings.

We gave the kiwi burger from mcds, has egg and Beetroot in it. I love it.

Russ

We gave the kiwi burger from mcds, has egg and Beetroot in it. I love it.

Russ
Does it actually have kiwi in it, or is that just it's name? That would add a whole new level of weirdness to an already weird egg and beetroot combo!

Having tried Greggs vegan sausage roll a few weeks ago I am now a convert. I wish I knew how they do it, but it tastes better than the real thing! I blind tasted it to a couple of friends (die hard meat eaters) and they wouldn't believe that it wasn't real sausage meat.

I'm intrigued. I must sample it next time I'm in town. Its seems to be Quorn with herbs & spices.

Found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...es-the-filling-for-greggs-vegan-sausage-rolls

Back
Top Bottom