The Breakfast Myth

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:33 PM
Is eating breakfast really so important? Would it matter if you never ate breakfast?
For years, we’ve been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But one former Cambridge University lecturer hopes to challenge this way of thinking. Terence Kealey, 64, believes breakfast is a “dangerous meal” and hopes that in 10 years time it will become as socially unacceptable as smoking cigarettes. He says that skipping breakfast has helped to “effectively cure” him of Type 2 diabetes.

Kealey told Sunday Times food magazine ‘The Dish’ that he hasn’t eaten breakfast since 2008, which is the year he was diagnosed with diabetes. Back then he was told by doctors that his disease was incurable and progressive, however this was something he wasn’t willing to accept. He bought a glucometer to test his blood-sugar levels and noticed a pattern - after he ate breakfast, his levels would rocket.

“At first I always ate breakfast, basing my meals on starchy foods,” he said. “My glucose levels spiked alarmingly, especially after eating breakfast. I was almost guaranteeing that I would kill myself from a heart attack or a stroke, as 80% of diabetics do.”

Kealey decided to skip breakfast and see how that affected his glucose levels. His experiment worked, as his blood-sugar dropped to within the normal range. “Even after lunch and dinner, they didn’t rise anywhere near as high,” he added. He said that since he began his ritual of avoiding breakfast and fasting until lunchtime, he has “effectively cured” his diabetes.*

And he is not the only academic to question the concept of breakfast.

The health claims for breakfast are innumerable.

“The problem is that these benefits, although logical sounding, are largely assumptions based on observational studies and had never actually been tested,” says James Betts, who studies nutrition and metabolism at the University of Bath, UK. “I was amazed when I started looking for evidence – I thought there would be a lot,” he says. What was out there, though, didn’t stand up to scrutiny. So he decided to find out for himself.

Betts says a combination of a food industry pushing breakfast goods and the media misreporting science have combined to create a mythology around the morning meal. If easing your hunger when you wake up is important to you, then eat breakfast. If you are not hungry – and especially if you are overweight – then don’t eat out of some misguided notion that breakfast is essential.**

What do you think? Do you eat breakfast? I haven't eaten breakfast for decades and know that if I do it makes me feel more sluggish.

*http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0961f09385232?utm_hp_ref=uk-diet-and-fitness

** https://www.newscientist.com/article/2081573-is-breakfast-really-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day/

Hmmm. Blood sugar spikes after eating starchy foods. Obviously, this would happen.
Don't eat breakfast as a diabetic, take insulin, no protein, blood sugar could drop too low and cause a coma.
Eat nothing but starchy foods, spike your blood sugar, ok strokes and comas are not bad things.

To me, this professor is full of bull. He purposely ate foods he knew who spike his blood sugar to prove no breakfast was better.

If anyone lands in the hospital because they listened to a college professor on the mistaken belief that college professors are smart (some are, some aren't in fields outside their own), I hope they hold whatever journalist dug up this pile of diet crap responsible.

Diabetes is NOT something to screw around with and one should consult a doctor, nutritionist or your nearest diabetes foundation.

Excuse the rant but I do have a cousin that landed her but in the hospital and had her driver's license taken away because she didn't control her blood sugar.

Last edited:
Now as to eating breakfast, not on a regular basis since I was 14 and was getting 10 cent breakfasts if I got up early enough.
Though I do have my coffee every morning.

Hmmm. Blood sugar spikes after eating starchy foods. Obviously, this would happen.
Don't eat breakfast as a diabetic, take insulin, no protein, blood sugar could drop too low and cause a coma.
Eat nothing but starchy foods, spike your blood sugar, ok strokes and comas are not bad things.

To me, this professor is full of bull. He purposely ate foods he knew who spike his blood sugar to prove no breakfast was better.

If anyone lands in the hospital because they listened to a college professor on the mistaken belief that college professors are smart (some are, some aren't in fields outside their own), I hope they hold whatever journalist dug up this pile of diet crap responsible.

Diabetes is NOT something to screw around with and one should consult a doctor, nutritionist or your nearest diabetes foundation.

Excuse the rant but I do have a cousin that landed her but in the hospital and had her driver's license taken away because she didn't control her blood sugar.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss this. It is actually quite difficult to eat a breakfast that doesn't contain starch, in any case. For example, each 1-cup serving of cooked oatmeal contains 27.14 grams of starch.

Also, the other report I cited is from another (unconnected) academic (scientist) who writes for New Scientist.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss this. It is actually quite difficult to eat a breakfast that doesn't contain starch, in any case. For example, each 1-cup serving of cooked oatmeal contains 27.14 grams of starch.

Also, the other report I cited is from another (unconnected) academic (scientist) who writes for New Scientist.
Can you find a nutritionist to back up these claims?
It is? He said he ate only starchy foods. The last breakfast I had did not contain a predominance of starches. It never does. Some of us are not able to maintain on starches. If I was to eat oatmeal for breakfast without a major source of protein, I would be on the floor. I don't want to land in the hospital.
And yet, you are defending some non-nutritionist that is spouting what worked for him.

Hey, the last breakfast I had didn't have a bunch of starch. It is called bacon and eggs. Oh wait it was sausage and eggs. But I forget, you are from the land of porridge where your diet is way different from ours.
Now I could do oatmeal for breakfast as long as I had a major source of protein first. (By the way that applies to whatever the first meal is), if I want the starches I have to have protein first. And yes I learned that the hard way.

you are defending some non-nutritionist that is spouting what worked for him.
I'm not defending him at all. I don't have a position on this one. I was just looking at it from both sides.

It is called bacon and eggs. Oh wait it was sausage and eggs. But I forget, you are from the land of porridge where your diet is way different from ours.

:laugh: OK! I think you will find that the full English (bacon, eggs, sausages) is one of the most traditional and popular breakfasts in the UK! And if I ever have breakfast in a hotel, that is what I have.

Kealey himself has a pretty distingushed track record: Professor Kealey trained initially in medicine at Bart’s Hospital Medical School, London. He studied for his doctorate at Oxford University, where he worked first as a Medical Research Council Training Fellow and then as a Wellcome Senior Research Fellow in Clinical Science.

Here we go:
Adda Bjarnadottir has a BSc and a Master's degree in human nutrition from the University of Iceland.
https://authoritynutrition.com/is-skipping-breakfast-bad/
She is not specifically backing up Kealey - but is writing about the evidence base. I was simply citing two separate sources regarding whether breakfast being good for you is a myth.
Ok, this one is a good source since she has her degrees in nutrition.
As for the other one well while he is an MD and from a very good university, that does not mean he is well versed in nutrition.

Sorry, my former job as a tutor has made me leery of believing something just because they have a degree. The good degreed people taught me to always check the education of a person making something sound important just because they have a few letters after their name.
I know several doctors, and I'm not sure between the lot of them, they would know much about nutrition as it is not their field of expertise. One probably knows more than the rest but he is a biologist.

To me, this professor is full of bull.
And this is unusual how ?
Further I suspect his personal findings [using himself as example] are flawed in that he claims to he claims to be better without it has it ever crossed his brilliant mind that in his job [whatever the breakfast may be] he doesn't burn it off. The human body is an amazing thing and will turn almost any food [including it's own muscle mass in desperation] into energy, when and if it needs it - the problems occur when there is food but no significant energy requirements. [as in an office worker like a doctor/professor]
I must admit that I pretty much ignored breakfast for all of my working life [except for those full english on weekends] and it suited me fine but I wouldn't try to force the same onto anyone else. Nutritionists - doctors and scientists in general have been responsible for some of the most horrific mistakes in medical history all because "they knew best". To quote the X files - trust no-one - the answer is [still] out there.

The words “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” first appeared a hundred years ago, in 1917, in Good Health, the oldest health magazine in the world, which was edited by Dr John Kellogg. Yes that Dr Kellogg, from Michigan, the man who in 1894, with his brother Will, invented cornflakes

Can you find a nutritionist to back up these claims?
It is? He said he ate only starchy foods. The last breakfast I had did not contain a predominance of starches. It never does. Some of us are not able to maintain on starches. If I was to eat oatmeal for breakfast without a major source of protein, I would be on the floor. I don't want to land in the hospital.
And yet, you are defending some non-nutritionist that is spouting what worked for him.

Hey, the last breakfast I had didn't have a bunch of starch. It is called bacon and eggs. Oh wait it was sausage and eggs. But I forget, you are from the land of porridge where your diet is way different from ours.
Now I could do oatmeal for breakfast as long as I had a major source of protein first. (By the way that applies to whatever the first meal is), if I want the starches I have to have protein first. And yes I learned that the hard way.

Some starch is necessary to keep the glucose level from getting to low. But then again, too much is not good. Just like the insulin. It helps keep the glucose level from getting too high. But if you don't eat within about 15 minutes after taking a dose, then you run the risk of the glucose level getting too low.

It is just like the phrase Pick your Poison! Follow proper protocol or run the risk of your life being in danger! :eek:

Last edited:
Some starch is necessary to keep the glucose level from getting to low. But then again, too much is not good. Just like the insulin. It helps keep the glucose level from getting too high. But if you don't eat within about 15 minutes after taking a dose, then you run the risk of the glucose level getting too low.

It is just like the phrase Pick your Poison! Follow proper protocol or run the risk of your life being in danger!
And like I said if I do starch I have to do protein first.

I don't function without breakfast.
I have to have some cereal within half an hour after getting up.
Anyway whatever time you eat for the first time in a day, you will be breaking your fast, ie having breakfast.

I don't function without breakfast.
I have to have some cereal within half an hour after getting up.
Anyway whatever time you eat for the first time in a day, you will be breaking your fast, ie having breakfast.

I've been eating breakfast also as of late, just after taking an insulin dose. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom