The Chinese cleaver, my 90% kitchen blade

bburned

Local time
7:03 AM
i'm new to this forum, so you all dont know i am a bit of a knife freak. i love them. pocket knives, knives for hunting, kitchen knives. i am fairly tame these days, because i simply dont want a bunch of stuff around the house. but mostly because i have gravitated to what i like and dont need any more knife purchases.

i have a knife drawer full of german and Japanese knives. i rarely use them. i keep two Chinese Cleavers, FRONT AND CENTER on a magnetic bar - right above my kitchen counter. one from Taiwan, and one from China. the chinese cleaver is the CCK 1303, that got the blessings from F. Dunlop and Milk Street restaurant, so they blew up in pricing. i found it in Los Angelos before the buying frenzy, so i paid $40. the Taiwan cleaver is sharper, but bigger/heavier so i use the CCK almost exclusively. smashing a garlic into a hundred tiny pieces is a joy. so is slapping a pork tenderloin pancake flat, for that matter.

this is it. well used, and so easy to sharpen. i keep it crazy sharp. i use this and a paring knife...haha..(i should sell everything else, but nah!)

any other cleaver fans here?

cleave2.jpg

I have 3. Two Chinese & a regular one. I mainly use the one in the first pic for chopping & slicing veggies. :whistling:

Last edited:
I have one and I honestly don't know why, because I don't use it. Is it overkill for veggies? I thought they were designed for chopping through meat/bones?
My two go-to knives are a Santoku and a paring knife.

I have one and I honestly don't know why, because I don't use it. Is it overkill for veggies? I thought they were designed for chopping through meat/bones?
My two go-to knives are a Santoku and a paring knife.
there certianly are some Meat Cleavers out there. mine is a veggie cleaver. very thin steel stock, sharp. i find they are safer in my hands. i can run the wide blade against my clutched knuckles and never be in any danger of a cut. also, i would be remiss if i didnt mention they act perfect as a board/bench scraper. i can scoop up copious amounts of chopped stuff, and take it to a pot fairly quickly.

there certianly are some Meat Cleavers out there. mine is a veggie cleaver. very thin steel stock, sharp. i find they are safer in my hands. i can run the wide blade against my clutched knuckles and never be in any danger of a cut. also, i would be remiss if i didnt mention they act perfect as a board/bench scraper. i can scoop up copious amounts of chopped stuff, and take it to a pot fairly quickly.
You make a fair point, I never thought it would be SAFER to use, but sounds logical. I should give it a try.

BTW, if you want to post that extensive knife collection you mentioned, there is this thread:
General knife talk

This is the one I am using from Zwilling, almost use it for every meal preparation
View attachment 91037

There is much to be said for a 'cleaver' type of knife. So versatile! As well as chopping almost anything, it can scoop the chopped things off the chopping board onto its broad blade and into the pot. It can also be used on its side with a bang from the hand to flatten garlic and other items for chopping.

I have one I use for everything except slicing soft bread. Its narrower than the one you show, though. I love it! I really don't need any other knife.

There is much to be said for a 'cleaver' type of knife. So versatile! As well as chopping almost anything, it can scoop the chopped things off the chopping board onto its broad blade and into the pot. It can also be used on its side with a bang from the hand to flatten garlic and other items for chopping.

I have one I use for everything except slicing soft bread. Its narrower than the one you show, though. I love it! I really don't need any other knife.
You are definitely an expert!

Back
Top Bottom