The coffee thread

My basic day-to-day coffee is Community decaf. I have issues with caffeine, and this decaf still tastes like a good, medium to dark roast coffee. Community used to be a Southern Louisiana/SE Texas brand, but now it a lot more widely available. More and more restaurants are serving it.

1685499295110.png

If you want an extra punch in your coffee, they have a coffee-hickory blend, which is a big cajun thing.

CD

Most of the time, I use K-Cups, because is is an easy and efficient way to make one cup of coffee.

My favorite ways to brew coffee for flavor are either a French press for smaller amounts, or an old-fashioned percolator coffee pot for larger amounts.

CD

And another here, though I still drink the UK stuff because the Aussie instant stuff is awful.

I've only found a single coffee bean blend that I actually like and it's hard to get hold of. I also only like in ¼ strength. Anything stronger is awful. (I also don't drink tea. Can't stand the stuff and never have, though some herbal teas are fine. Chai on the other hand I really do like when brewed and served in the traditional manner. )

When hubby's away from home, I'll just use the jar of instant coffee in the fridge (stays fresh much longer) that my parents brought over from the UK last time they visited. I'll pick up fresh in October when we go back for a visit.
Can’t stand tea?
Afraid we can’t be friends 😂

When I was working for a living, I would drink coffee all day long, maybe 12 cups/day. Except in Italy - I couldn't drink the espresso. Other than that, it didn't matter how the coffee was made; anything was acceptable. I now drink one mug of instant coffee per day first thing in the morning to wake me up and re-hydrate me. I rarely have a second.

We have a disgusting product here called 3-in-1. It includes instant coffee, powdered milk and sugar. I had some once a few years ago at a service station when travelling. I left half of it and had to stop 10km later and vomit the rest onto the grass verge.

Last edited:
Venezuelans are fussy about their coffee. Every bakery sells coffee, every bar sells coffee, every restaurant sells coffee, and it's always made fresh, in one of those fancy Italian machines. In the picture below, You'll see the (at least) 9 ways to ask for coffee here, from "negro" (black) to "tetero" (really milky - a tetero is a baby's bottle)

1685585236489.png

Nope. you order whatever you want - no-one makes any observations. Venezuelans in general are pretty relaxed.
Actually, the "cerrero" is something I'm not familiar with. I've always called it "Negro Tinto" (Inky Black), so this may be something new in the past two years!

I found instant coffee in the Mexican section of Walmart. I guess it is popular in Mexico, too.

1686267835887.jpeg

CD

No instant or decaf in my house.

My home stock depends on what we're trying out or carrying at our shop. I have K-cups on hand for that first-cup-of-the-morning, just to get my heart started, but then it's pour-over or French press with freshly ground beans. K-cups in the cabinet today are Cafe Bustelo. Coffee beans for the second cup onward are Duromina (Ethiopian). Next week, who knows?

Just remembered my neighbour growing up used to drink this .
A can about 300 mls of coffee and milk.
Just add hot water. She must have had about 20 cups a day. She sat in the couch barking orders to her kids, get me a coffee. 1 teaspoon of that stuff per cup.
She was a lazy cow.

Russ

I was once a dinner guest of a friend at his country club and had one of the best cups of coffee I can remember. I asked my friend what it was. He went to the kitchen and asked. He returned and told me it was instant coffee and they wouldn't divulge the source. So it is a secret from me if it is even true. I've tried to reproduce it to no avail. Whoever made it belongs in the coffee brewing hall of fame.

Back
Top Bottom