The coffee thread

Yeah, I think single brew machines are probably mostly similar. Out of curiosity, what's the brand of your brewer? I know in the past I have heard complaints about Keurig machines where the water didn't get hot enough.
In Spain it’s a simple Nespresso Citiz. I think the waters plenty hot as normal disposable capsules produce a good hot cup 👍

I am a big coffee consumer.
At home it is always and only Espresso. Black. Sugar-free. Made with a coffee maker.
I usually use Lavazza Qualità Rossa or Qualità Oro, although I much prefer ground coffee from the roastery.
I don't mind instant coffee though, I like to drink it when I get it especially when abroad.

I never really drank coffee until after I started working. Even then, for the first few years, I was strictly a tea-drinker and only having coffee on occasion. At some point that changed, and now I drink 1 cup a day, usually in the morning (any more than that runs the risk of making me jittery). Funny enough, I only drink it when I’m working - I don’t drink it on weekends or holidays.

We currently buy a very small brand, since our friend has a stake in the company and we want to support him - it’s also excellent coffee.

We use an Aeropress with reusable filter to brew - this makes an excellent cup. At my old office, I used to use a refillable k-cup (I refuse to buy the wasteful disposable ones), but I found the thing made a really mediocre, unremarkable cup of coffee.

For those wondering, the most environmentally-friendly way to make a cup of coffee is to use bird-friendly certified beans, and a french press or Aeropress, with water heated in an electric kettle. Now you know!

My parents (born and residents of Kentucky until they were nearly thirty) made black instant coffee nearly every morning.
I mentioned my grandparents and their preference for Sanka instant - they were from Kentucky, too, and relocated to Ohio in their 30’s.

The interesting thing was, I remember Sanka being marketed as the superior coffee to brewed, and that’s what they bought into, I think. When they’d order coffee in a restaurant, they’d specifically ask for Sanka, and in such a way as to strongly imply, “I want the best you have…Sanka!”

Funny thing…my grandmom always pronounced it “Sinka.”

I was reading about Spains huge increase in availability of lactose free products (approx 34% of Spaniards are lactose intolerant) and saw they have lactose free condensed milk which they use for coffee. It's not something that happens in the UK.
Do other fold here put condensed milk in their coffee?

Ok so I've overdone it 😬
Just take a big drink, then add more coffee, and keep doing that until you get it where you like it.

Heavy cream, which is 36% fat (I think double cream is in the 40-45% range), I usually put in about a tablespoon for a mug.

If it’s half-and-half (I think that’s around 18%), I fill up about a third of the mug!

Just take a big drink, then add more coffee, and keep doing that until you get it where you like it.

Heavy cream, which is 36% fat (I think double cream is in the 40-45% range), I usually put in about a tablespoon for a mug.

If it’s half-and-half (I think that’s around 18%), I fill up about a third of the mug!
Doubles 45-48 and single is 18% in the UK.
‘Double’ in Spain is 38%

I’ve adjusted it as much as I can and I’m afraid I prefer it black.

I do have a hot chocolate maker here that does lattes, frothy milk etc so maybe that should be my next coffee move.

My step father lives off the stuff.

Over here we can also get condensed milk make from soy milk or coconut milk which I use at Christmas to make eggnog.

We have some vegan sweetened condensed 'milk' brands. My choice would be Carnation Vegan condensed milk, I think that ones made with rice and oats.

Makes a very good dairy free cheats ice-cream/parfait, you know the sort or thing whip up some cream (Elmlea Plant is my favourite dairy free cream) mixed with sweetened condensed 'milk' and add whatever flavouring or fruit you like and hey presto.

Love the smell of coffee but not the taste. On saying that, we were in wales at the end of May and had a lovely meal at a French restaurant, decided to finish with a decaff coffee, expected a cup instead they gave us a huge cafetiere, it was the best thing I have drunk in a long long time, totally surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom