The Cookbook Game #1

I'll get around to picking the cookbook later.

I'll add, though, that about three years ago, I went from maybe 30 cookbooks down to three. I had cookbooks I'd had for years and never cooked from, and it was actually starting to give me some anxiety. Every time I'd go in the kitchen, I'd see the cookbooks there, and I'd start to think about how I'd better hurry and cook at least one thing from this or that cookbook, and it just started to feel like a lot of stress and pressure all the time. I'd wake up in the middle of the night sometimes, thinking, "Oh crap! I said I was going to make something from that Amish cookbook this week, and I haven't yet!" and I'd have to get up at 3AM or whatever and at least pick out a recipe.

Now, though, I'm up to about 10 cookbooks again, so I have to do a purge again shortly, before the cookbook gremlins take over. :clown:
I hope you hold off on that purge. If this game takes off, you might get a chance to use them all.

Well, I counted, and not counting the phone or the magazine clippings, I have exactly 14 cookbooks, so that was easy.

My recipe will be Baked Spinach Dip Loaf, from:
E330D970-5D4E-4AEC-A473-25739FF14746.jpeg

Great!!!!!! #14 is the first number I used back when I first started this game. It is my birthday, No, I won't tell you what year. lol, but the month is April.

Taste of Home is also one of the cooking magazines I receive. Looking forward to your review of the recipe. It does sound good.

Well - anything you can do to get new members here. How will they know about it?
I am hoping by word of mouth or a search. I also posted on the Weber site about the game and a link to here. I had a thread going there about BBQ cookbooks and a lot of members posted about their cookbook collections. So, hopefully they will also join us. There must be a lot of people that buy and still like cookbooks because they publish a lot of new ones all the time. lol

As I am typing this, DH is looking through our cookbook for the week. He has (so far) 4 recipes marked. :giggle: It IS hard to choose, isn't it sweetheart?

This coming weeks meals have been planned and purchased for. We generally do our shopping Friday or Saturday. Two weeks is a good time period, however most of the new recipes we make are from our cookbook or magazines.

As I am typing this, DH is looking through our cookbook for the week. He has (so far) 4 recipes marked. :giggle: It IS hard to choose, isn't it sweetheart?
I just flipped open to the first page. :)

I notice you called this 'game of the week'. It maybe that you need to make it less frequent. In our experience it takes around three weeks minimum to get entries for challenges which involve cooking. Maybe you should re-title it something like The' Recipe Book Game' so that its distinguished from other challenges? Then we can tag any entries 'recipe book game'.

I definitely agree with this. I schedule meals out a week in advance, so even though I know the cookbook and the recipe I'm going to do, it won't happen for another week at least.

Also, I do think a more descriptive title is in order. I haven't been here long, but it's readily apparent that we have several games already, and to me, a game title needs to be more on the specific side than the generic side. This one has been out for a day, and I've already found myself looking at it and thinking, "What's that one...?" - and I'm participating! :)

In the light of above comments comments, I'll change the title to 'The Cookbook Game'. Its such a great idea for a challenge and I reckon we will get lots of folk interested. We can make the date of one week a provisional date. It looks like some members will need longer...

I'm intrigued to know what this Baked Spinach Dip Loaf is.
It's a spinach-and-cream-cheese dip, crammed into a hollowed-our round loaf of bread, then crammed in the oven and baked. The pieces of bread from the innards of the loaf are reserved for dipping into the goo.

It was literally of the first page of recipes for the book I chose. My wife loves spinach dip, and I can tolerate it, and I'm always looking for something more snack-like for weekend afternoons.

Now I just have to come up with a good bevvie to go along with it...:headshake:

IWe can make the date of one week a provisional date. It looks like some members will need longer...
In the 3rd week of the original game, 13 members completed the game and made 17 new recipes. In the 5th week, 18 members completed the game and made 23 new recipes. That is a total of 31 cookbooks used in just 2 weeks. And a large majority said it was the first time their cb was being used. It can be done. Have faith in your members.

Back
Top Bottom