The Cookbook Game #1

It's a spinach-and-cream-cheese dip, crammed into a hollowed-our round loaf of bread, then crammed in the oven and baked. The pieces of bread from the innards of the loaf are reserved for dipping into the goo.

It was literally of the first page of recipes for the book I chose. My wife loves spinach dip, and I can tolerate it, and I'm always looking for something more snack-like for weekend afternoons.

Now I just have to come up with a good bevvie to go along with it...:headshake:

Ah - I understand now.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Hi, first, thank you again for letting me play my game here.
Second, what do we call you?
Third, you can number your books any way you want. Re: your BBB book. If it is recipes that you already have made, it doesn't count. Sorry, but recipes have to be new to you. Hope that answers all your questions.

Thanks
I'm variously called SatNav or SNSSO, but to make life easier we have a member tagging system where you typing in the @ sign followed by the first 3 letters of a member's name and wait a moment and the server will create a drop down box below your current line of text, just select the member's name from the list and not only will it fill the rest in for you, it will add a link to the member profile and more importantly, notify the member that they have been mentioned in a post. It's much quicker to do than to explain and readjust than typing in my member name.
The book does have uncooked recipes in it, so I'll look through the Sweet Bones: The Cookbook and see if I can come up with something for next week.

I'll be making Red Snapper / Green Sauce.

Red Snapper, Green Sauce
  • 1/2 slice Italian bread (I have to buy a whole loaf of bread for this!!!)
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/16th cup / 1 tablespoon / 15 mL minced fresh parsley
  • 1/16th cup / 1 tablespoon / 15 mL minced garlic
  • 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
  • 1 tablespoon capers
  • 2 to 3 red snapper filets
I've cut the book recipe in half, to make two servings.

I'll be making Red Snapper / Green Sauce.

Red Snapper, Green Sauce
  • 1/2 slice Italian bread (I have to buy a whole loaf of bread for this!!!)
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/16th cup / 1 tablespoon / 15 mL minced fresh parsley
  • 1/16th cup / 1 tablespoon / 15 mL minced garlic
  • 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
  • 1 tablespoon capers
  • 2 to 3 red snapper filets
I've cut the book recipe in half, to make two servings.

As @SatNavSaysStraightOn says above - can you please post recipes as new threads and link back here (as with other challenges here), otherwise they are not searchable here or visible to Google

can you post this recipe as a new thread please then link to here, same as with the other recipe competitions and things like what did you eat today etc.. if recipes end up in long threads like this, they get lost and can't be found again. They also don't benefit the site tbe same way new threads do.

I thought you said you would make an exception. I posted the recipe first on the seafood thread and made a copy for here. I don't think it will get lost. Is that ok?

Thanks. I will post it on its own thread as soon as I write up the directions for how to assemble. Which I always do in my own words.
Mountain Cat. Would you mind typing up the directions as written? I like to keep things as the author wrote them, if possible, I will leave that up to you. I know some recipes get a little too wordy. lol

Mountain Cat. Would you mind typing up the directions as written? I like to keep things as the author wrote them, if possible, I will leave that up to you. I know some recipes get a little too wordy. lol

One way to do it painlessly (without typing) is to photograph the recipe page. I've sometimes done that.

I thought you said you would make an exception. I posted the recipe first on the seafood thread and made a copy for here. I don't think it will get lost. Is that ok?

I think maybe @SatNavSaysStraightOn didn't spot you had posted the recipe beforehand. Its fine. Usually we say just post a link in the challenge thread to the recipe rather than whole recipe (makes it neater) but its not really a problem to post it in this thread too.

I think maybe @SatNavSaysStraightOn didn't spot you had posted the recipe beforehand. Its fine. Usually we say just post a link in the challenge thread to the recipe rather than whole recipe (makes it neater) but its not really a problem to post it in this thread too.
Thanks MG, having everything together IS part of the game. The finale post should have the name of the cookbook and author, recipe typed up and the review.

My biggest issue is that I almost never use my cookbooks as recipe books and I rarely cook from a recipe. But the books are a resource and they are used a lot. They're a library of information and ideas. What really motivates me is recipe development and trying to create new dishes. For example, the current recipe challenge is 'paprika'. So I've been scouring the books (and the internet) for paprika ideas. Then I sketch and write notes. Then I cook.

What I'm saying is that this particular game isn't easy for me! :)

My cookbook is Small Victories by Julia Turshen. The recipe is Curried Red Lentils with Coconut Milk.
20190805_112748.jpg
20190805_113138.jpg

It is really important to the site and its growth and survival that recipes are recorded in their own right as a new thread. It is also one of our site rules.

It was the discussion of the recipe that I meant to be the exception. Ideally all recipe discussions should be contained within the recipe thread. However, I appreciated that here that would not work so was allowing discussions to be in either place. But in all cases, I would appreciate that you link or copy and paste the discussion into the recipe so that, in future, people can find the discussion and your thoughts on the recipe with the recipe or at least at the click of a button.

Once you get the hang of clicking on the #no. to get the link it will become really easy and second nature. It's just harder to explain than to actually do. (I've moved the help file to a new thread which can be found here.)

This is also why it's easier that discussions are held with the recipe they apply to, because members not playing the game may comment on the recipe in its own thread in future.

Edit: split into 2 to clarify.
Edit 2: link added to help thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom