The Cookbook Game #1

cookieee

Local time
9:21 AM
Mod.Edit: Title of thread changed to distinguish this new challenge from other current challenges. Some of the following text also edited accordingly.

Hi everyone, welcome to the The Cookbook Game. Formerly The Cooking Game of the Week #1 8/4/19

What is the game all about and how do we play it?

The game is all about your cookbooks. If you are like me, you have cookbooks that have just been sitting on the shelves and haven't been opened in years. What a waste. This game is designed to change that.

First, count how many cookbooks you have. Then once a week, I will pick a number and that will be the cookbook you will be using for that week. Then post what cookbook you will be using and tell us something about that book, if you want to. Then pick a recipe to make, make the recipe and post it here and tell us what you thought of the recipe. It should be made exactly as written. If you like the recipe and wish to make changes after that, that is all right. I think it is only fair to the writer to make it as such if you want to give it an accurate review.

Here is this week's # - #14*

Please, feel free to ask any questions.

Happy Cooking !!!

*Mod.edit: Please note that in the light of members' comments the deadline is now set as 12.00 midday (GMT+1) Tuesday 20th August (to allow all who wish to, a chance to participate)

N.B Please post recipes as new threads and link back to this thread (as with other challenges)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll play, though I just purged my cookbooks and am down to just a few. I'll also count my phone and a big folder with magazine recipes in it.

Sounds fun!

I'll play, though I just purged my cookbooks and am down to just a few. I'll also count my phone and a big folder with magazine recipes in it.

Sounds fun!
Hi, welcome player #1 lol Thank you.
Darn, sorry, lousy timing on my part. Just a tip, hold off on using the magazine recipes, they will come in handy in the future. (if this game takes off. lol)

I notice you called this 'game of the week'. Maybe that you need to make it less frequent. In our experience it takes around three weeks minimum to get entries for challenges which involve cooking. Maybe you should re-title it something like The' Recipe Book Game' so that its distinguished from other challenges? Then we can tag any entries 'recipe book game'.

So - where do I start counting? I've a bookcase in the front room with 3 full shelves plus another series of 'cubby holes' with recipe books in the back room. Left to right from the top?

Might be fun if people posted photos of their cookery book shelves too!

Last edited:
I notice you called this 'game of the week'. It maybe that you need to make it less frequent. In our experience it takes around three weeks to get entries for challenges which involve cooking. Maybe you should re-title it something like The' Recipe Book Game' so that its distinguished from other challenges? Then we can tag any entries 'recipe book game'.

So - where do I start counting? I've a bookcase in the front room with 3 full shelves plus another series of 'cubby holes' with recipe books in the back room. Left to right from the top?

Might be fun if people posted photos of their cookery book shelves too!
I have the same problem also. I have cookbooks in my office and a bookshelf in my bedroom with 3 shelves full of CB. lol Today I am using #14 in my office. To lazy to check the bedroom. lol
I don't know how it will work here, but for 10 years on the other site, a week was long enough. Sometimes, a player or two would make 2 or 3 recipes from the same CB in one week. We shall see.

Okay, reading this like a book left to right then top to bottom: # 14 is:
Italian Immigrant Cooking. By Elodia Rigante. Got to admit I NEED to be in the mood for Italian (doesn't occur all that often).

Dang, it is also the hardest to get out of the book cubby as it is taller than the rest on the shelf, and I have to remove adjoining books to get that one out.

cookbooks first.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I do figure if the number is larger than the number of cookbooks you really do have... just cycle around and re-count? I mean, by playing this game, if we limit ourselves to a low number, many of my cookbooks will never be in the running.

Maybe give people a two week (bimonthly) window?

I don't know how it will work here, but for 10 years on the other site, a week was long enough.

Its quite 'low traffic' on this forum and I'm just going by other challenges. You can always extend it if we don't get enough entries. What about retitling the thread 'The Cookbook Game'? Might entice more folk in...

Its quite 'low traffic' on this forum and I'm just going by other challenges. You can always extend it if we don't get enough entries. What about retitling the thread 'The Cookbook Game'? Might entice more folk in...
I am using the same name as before, hoping to entice some of my older players. EVERYTHING is subject to change. lol Thanks for all the suggestions.

Also, even tho the stars of the game are cookbooks, there will be other cooking involved.

My cookbook for this week is not Italian. lol It is "Wok Fast" by Hugh Carpenter and Teri Sandison-pub. 2002

Just as I figured, bought this book 2 years ago and NEVER used it. It has beautiful color pictures of almost all of the recipes and a lot of them look and sound so good. I think it is going to be hard to pick one. Back later.

I do figure if the number is larger than the number of cookbooks you really do have... just cycle around and re-count? I mean, by playing this game, if we limit ourselves to a low number, many of my cookbooks will never be in the running.

Maybe give people a two week (bimonthly) window?
Thank you, I did forget to mention that, didn't I. lol

I'll get around to picking the cookbook later.

I'll add, though, that about three years ago, I went from maybe 30 cookbooks down to three. I had cookbooks I'd had for years and never cooked from, and it was actually starting to give me some anxiety. Every time I'd go in the kitchen, I'd see the cookbooks there, and I'd start to think about how I'd better hurry and cook at least one thing from this or that cookbook, and it just started to feel like a lot of stress and pressure all the time. I'd wake up in the middle of the night sometimes, thinking, "Oh crap! I said I was going to make something from that Amish cookbook this week, and I haven't yet!" and I'd have to get up at 3AM or whatever and at least pick out a recipe.

Now, though, I'm up to about 10 cookbooks again, so I have to do a purge again shortly, before the cookbook gremlins take over. :clown:

Back
Top Bottom