The Cookbook Game #1

lol No, not yet. I shouldn't say this, but people can do whatever they want, as long as they DON'T print it, or let it affect their opinion of the recipe or the cookbook. I don't want someone saying "this is a terrible cookbook" because their recipe they picked to make has ingredients they don't like, or missing things they do like. I say, go on to another recipe for the game and play around with the other one on your own.

I intended to - but the problem for me started when I got halfway through cooking it and realised that it was not going to work. So - either I deviated, or the dish would be ruined. That would have been a stupid waste. It was a minor deviation...

In my case I was lucky that all that excess olive oil pooled off and I didn't actually eat it, or have to. My dish - taking that into account - was excellent. But I'm disappointed in that I wasted good quality olive oil that where I live now is hard to buy.

Perhaps try to cook as authentically to the recipe as possible, but document everywhere where one deviates, and WHY? And if, as Craig plans to do, if it is possible (not always) use that as an addendum to the recipe review.

lol No, not yet. I shouldn't say this, but people can do whatever they want, as long as they DON'T print it, or let it affect their opinion of the recipe or the cookbook. I don't want someone saying "this is a terrible cookbook" because their recipe they picked to make has ingredients they don't like, or missing things they do like. I say, go on to another recipe for the game and play around with the other one on your own.

I see what you mean. I chose the recipe because I liked the ingredients and method. The problem was quantities which only came to light as I was 'assembling' it. It would have been plainly insane to carry on regardless. So I had to deviate.

I'm willing to make the recipes as they stand... although do note I had to halve all the ingredients in mine, as it served four and I am one person - and it appears most of my local friends hate seafood.

MC, yes, halving a recipe or such is quite all right, in most cases. I can't think of anything that would be altered by downsizing or upsizing (?). lol

That sounds like an excellent way to approach the game. :okay:

Sorry, I don't think so. They are putting their personal preferences in somewhere where it does not belong. I can not stress how important it is to stick to what the author has written. This game is not intended to alter what has already been printed. We are not being asked to edit it, just review what they have already printed. I hope I am making myself clear on this subject. That is why it is important to make the recipe as written. In the future, I will give alternatives to cookbook choices if that number cookbook is not to your liking.

I will be starting a new game now. Players of this game can still post till the clock runs out of time.

Mine was also a deviation, and I'd think a significant one in that the dip was supposed to be baked inside the bread loaf, and I didn't do that, in the interest of time.

I'm also another one (surprise) who thinks a game should be fun first and heavy rules enforcement second (or tenth :) ). There's no prize money involved, no endorsements from Staub or Wusthof at risk, so as long as the deviation is explained, so the reader can assess whether they'd want to do the same thing, should they make the recipe, I think that's fine.

I will be starting a new game now. Players of this game can still post till the clock runs out of time.

Can you hold off starting the new game until this one finishes please? I know you are keen to move on but its not how we do things on this forum and things will start to be confusing. For one thing, we need to change the tags so they align with each game and so that posts are searchable. So each game needs a new thread, new title and new tag. I'll try to explain this in a PM.

Its only a few days until this game runs out...

Sorry, didn't read this in time. I think things will work out. Don't you?

Also, I thing Friday is a better start time than Tue or Wed. This way, players will have the week-end to look over their cookbook and choose what they want to make.

Lets start it on Sunday then as a compromise - I reckon all entries for this game will be in by then. I'll temporarily hold your new Challenge thread. I PM.d you too.

So I made 2 dishes from Small Victories by Julia Turshen. I bought this book this past March. This is the first time cooking from it.

My first dish: Curried Red Lentils with Coconut Milk (serves 4)

My thoughts: We had company over, so I doubled the recipe. I didn't take pictures because we had company over and have a no phone rule. Everyone loved it! We do eat these ingredients on a regular base in all different ways. I added some cracked pepper to mine before eating. I used the largest garlic and shallots I could find. We love garlic and onions. I made the yogurt. I would make this again. It's good. It's economically friendly. Easily doubled or tripled. And my girls could easily make this themselves for their cooking night.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2nd recipe from Simple Victories from Julia Turshen. I bought this cookbook in March and this is the first I have used it. Besides reading it.

As stated in my first recipe. I didn't take pictures because we had company over and the no phone rule during. I should have taken pictures prior, oh well...

I made: Berry and Buttermilk Cobbler

My thoughts, definitely good eating. Super simple and delicious. Everyone enjoyed it. Fresh berries made it all the better. I would use frozen too.

Last edited:
My 2nd recipe from Simple Victories from Julia Turshen. I bought this cookbook in March and this is the first I have used it. Besides reading it.

As stated in my first recipe. I didn't take pictures because we company over and the no phone rule during. I should have taken pictures prior, oh well -I'll blame the children for distracting me.

(serves 8)

2 pounds mixed berries -Anything but strawberries because of the high water content. I used fresh blueberries and fresh frozen blackberries.
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
Vanilla ice cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9x13 inch pan.

Put berries in the dish. Drizzle lemon juice, pour 1/4 cup of the sugar and cornstarch. Also sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt. Toss around all together.

Make the biscuits: combine flour, buttermilk, butter, sugar, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Whisk together. Shape biscuits about 2 teaspoons worth over berries.

Bake about 1 hour. Biscuits should be golden and berries bubbly. Let rest about 15 minutes prior to serving. Don't forget the ice cream... lol

My thoughts, definitely good eating. Super simple and delicious. Everyone enjoyed it. Fresh berries made it all the better. I would use frozen too.

The recipe needs a new thread and link back here - I'll fix it. (Done)

Last edited:
My 2nd entry is Timballino Vegetariano (Vegetarian Timbale) from Italian Feast by Antonio Carluccio.

fullsizeoutput_4f5c.jpeg

My notes:
This was fun but rather time consuming to make because several of the vegetables are lightly battered and fried prior to assembling the dish. I divided each ingredient by four to provide an individual serving. The chef's notes suggest that this is a starter and to serve as a main, the amount vegetables could be increased. In the event, I reckon that with some crusty bread on the side the quantities as stated are fine for a main.

The photograph of the recipe clearly shows mushrooms (see my post above here) but the ingredients list doesn't include them. I added a few mushrooms across the top of the timbale after cooking as I think it improves the appearance of the dish. I cooked the mushrooms separately in olive oil.

The main issue I ran into was in terms of the quantity of the tomato sauce. I weighed it out carefully, but it was not nearly enough to provide the layering required. So I used about twice as much as suggested. Otherwise the dish would have been mostly just cheese and vegetables. There also seemed to be far to much Parmesan and I had some left over. These are minor points! I loved the recipe. Its rich and delicious and I'd make it again.

Ingredients (this is after frying the vegetables) - the tomato sauce shown is 500g of tomato sauce and I used nearly just a half (500g is suggested as the amount for 4 portions).

fullsizeoutput_4f66.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4f62.jpeg

Last edited:

As stated in my first recipe. I didn't take pictures because we company over and the no phone rule during. I should have taken pictures prior, oh well -I'll blame the children for distracting me.

WOW two recipes from you also. Thanks so much for playing!!

Back
Top Bottom