The Cookbook Game #4

Finally pined DH down this morning. I should have known better. lol We will be using #24 cookbook-"Fork in the Road" by Paul Prudhomme-pub. 1993. This is his 4th cookbook. It is different from his other books in that this one is geared toward eating healthier. He doesn't call it a diet book, but hopefully you can loose some weight and still be full and healthy. We shall see.

Recipe - Turkey Tacos

6:48 PM, DH is cooking the tacos, I am starving, they better be good

Last edited:
Finally pined DH down this morning. I should have known better. lol We will be using #24 cookbook-"Fork in the Road" by Paul Prudhomme-pub. 1993. This is his 4th cookbook. It is different from his other books in that this one is geared toward eating healthier. He doesn't call it a diet book, but hopefully you can loose some weight and still be full and healthy. We shall see.

Recipe - Turkey Tacos

6:48 PM, DH is cooking the tacos, I am starving, they better be good
Before DH made up the tacos, he gave me what he calls "a free sample". The spice and turkey mixture was delicious. But, when the finished product reached my plate, I don't know what happened. It just did not taste the same. Thankfully, DH made a full recipe and there is plenty of meat mixture left. We are going to try it the old fashion way and use regular hard taco shells and not stick them in the oven.

I forgot to mention (also forgot to watch). I have 2 old VHS tapes of his show, Fork in the Road back in 1995. I am going to try and watch them tomorrow. Maybe get some ideas of what else to make from his book.

Ok, I'm definitely going to make the sweet potato onion bread in the Deep Run Roots cookbook. I've made this bread before, over a year in half ago. We were cooking from Deep Run Roots for Cookbook Club. I would say it was good, I know it should have been better. I was pregnant, smells and tastes were affecting me. This time though, I know it will rock. This is a lengthy recipe. I want to practice it and add the recipe to my Thanksgiving menu. This will be great with my sweet cranberry onion spread.

Ok, I'm definitely going to make the sweet potato onion bread in the Deep Run Roots cookbook. I've made this bread before, over a year in half ago. We were cooking from Deep Run Roots for Cookbook Club. I would say it was good, I know it should have been better. I was pregnant, smells and tastes were affecting me. This time though, I know it will rock. This is a lengthy recipe. I want to practice it and add the recipe to my Thanksgiving menu. This will be great with my sweet cranberry onion spread.
Oh my, what do I do now? One of the rules of the game is to make a recipe from your cookbook that you have never made before. Would there by any chance you can find such a recipe? You could still make your bread on your own for the practice. lol. Considering the circumstances of making the recipe the first time, this could really be considered your first time. I am going to leave it up to you.

Oh my, what do I do now? One of the rules of the game is to make a recipe from your cookbook that you have never made before. Would there by any chance you can find such a recipe? You could still make your bread on your own for the practice. lol. Considering the circumstances of making the recipe the first time, this could really be considered your first time. I am going to leave it up to you.
I was wondering if I was breaking a rule... no biggie. I'll change to the citrus sweet potato butter. I wanted to try this out for Thanksgiving too. It will be great to pair with the roasted chicken I have planned for next week.

I was wondering if I was breaking a rule... no biggie. I'll change to the citrus sweet potato butter. I wanted to try this out for Thanksgiving too. It will be great to pair with the roasted chicken I have planned for next week.
Phew, thank you. I really appreciate that. That butter sounds like a winner. I love sweet potatoes, can't wait to see the recipe.

H cookbook - "Grilling with Chef George Hirsch" by George Hirsch-pub. 1994

DH is going to use this BBQ sauce on pork in the slow cooker. Just not sure when.

Recipe - Carolina Barbecue Sauce
YEA!!!!! It's today!!!!!!! Hopefully we will have a very delicious dinner tonight. :hungry:

OK, I wouldn't call it delicious, but it was very good. It's nice to have a go to bbq sauce that does not have sugar in it.

Last edited:
The book I'm cooking from is Chinese Cookery by Ken Hom (published 1984 by the BBC). The book accompanied the BBC series Chinese Cookery first broadcast in 1984. Ken Hom is a familiar celebrity Chef on UK TV cookery programmes and most people seem to think he is really ancient. In fact he is just 70, but he has been appearing regularly on TV for the last 35 years. In 2009 he was awarded an OBE for services in the culinary arts.

He was born in Tuscon Arizona and a was raised in Chicago. He learned to cook, age 11 working in his uncle's Chinese restaurant. He studied history of art at the University of California and taught Italian and Chinese cooking to help his college fees. In '77 he joined San Francisco's Californian Culinary Academy as an instructor.

This book was his second book on Chinese Cooking and became one of the best selling books ever published by the BBC. It is still regarded by some as 'the bible' of Chinese Cooking and is still in print today. There is no doubt that this book will teach you the basics of Chinese cooking and there are numerous simple and pretty well foolproof recipes which don't require extensive lists of ingredients. There are also some helpful diagrams included - for making dumplings, or shelling a crab, for example.

I would certainly recommend this book for its clarity of style and straightforward approach to Chinese cuisine.

MG, what a beautiful and wonderful job of presentation. The best I have seen in over 10 years of running this game.🏆

Back
Top Bottom