The Cookbook Game #4

well you could put it to the vote, but it sounds like a good idea to me.
TastyReuben (for future when things settle down again), Mountain Cat, morning glory, CraigC, WhatsCookingMama, murphyscreek, medtran49, Herbie

MG, can you think of anyone else. I have been through the previous rounds and mentioned all who participated in them.
rascal do you reckon you could come up with something?
Just for the record, I have a form that I fill out for every game, I know who has played, what cookbook they used, what recipe they made, if they review that recipe.

The comments are included in the recipe which is linked above - I really didn't want to repeat everything I'd already written. I would expect anyone interested in the recipe to look at the recipe. See Pork with Black Bean Sauce

If you want I'll copy & paste it all in this thread too. But you can't say I didn't comment on the recipe! :)
MG, I'm sorry, I didn't know your comments were after you cooked the recipe.

No - please no! I think that would get really messy. We already established before that games shouldn't overlap.

So I'm now confused about what is being proposed. That games start on Wednesdays and run for two weeks?
Yes, that is what I am proposing. That should give people plenty of time to pick a cookbook, find a recipe and make a shopping list for the weekend shopping and have plenty of time to make and review the recipe.

Last edited:
That's reason 1A I've dropped out - the timeframe is too short.

That would spell disaster from where I'm sitting, trying to plan for one period while still cooking for another...that's a game-killer, which brings up reason 1B why I dropped out...the aggressiveness of the game. The short time I did play, I didn't feel like I was in a fun game, I felt like I was on the factory floor, trying to rush to an impossible deadline.

1A + 1B = 1C, the third part of why I dropped out - with the short timelines and constant pushing to get the next game started, it took me, what, just the second or third game to throw up my hands and quit, because I couldn't keep straight what recipe from which cookbook was for what week.

Personally, what makes sense (with any game, really) is to do it monthly. It's a natural break, it's easy to remember, it's plenty of time to get things sorted.

That's just me, though it might explain the lower-than-expected participation. I do think the concept of the game is a good one, I just don't understand the push for such a relentless pace.
I'm sorry you feel that way. What you interpret as a "relentless pace" is what I consider as doing my hostess duties. Keeping the game in the limelight so to speak. I don't want it to just sit there and have people forget all about it. Remember, I did run this game here in the states for 10 years and we did it weekly. I had many people that were able to complete the game in 1 week.

Another just for the record, DH had made 3 recipes so far for game #4. If he can do it, anyone can do it.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I am proposing. That should give people plenty of time to pick a cookbook, find a recipe and make a shopping list for the weekend shopping and have plenty of time to make and review the recipe.

We can try it, though I'm not certain it will make a huge difference. We can but try! I suggest we therefore extend this game until midday Wednesday 2nd October and then start Game #5. That would be neater and also allow some of us a bit more time to make an entry for this one. I have another recipe or two lined up so that would be great.

MG says she has 150 cookbooks. 1 cookbook a month. According to my math, that will take her 12 1/2 years to use all her cookbooks one time. Do you know where you will be in 12 1/2 years?

It might be all right for you young people, but ..............

Remember, this game is about your cookbooks. You do not have to pick a long, complicated recipe for the game. This is not about your cooking skills.

MG says she has 150 cookbooks. 1 cookbook a month. According to my math, that will take her 12 1/2 years to use all her cookbooks one time.

Ah - but I don't want to cook recipes from all my recipe books. For me they are a fantastic resource; a library of ideas from which I can take inspiration, invent and create. I've read most of them - not all of them cover to cover, but certainly I know what kind of recipes they have. Today, for example, I used 6 recipe books to look up various techniques and ingredients for a recipe I'm working on.

Ah - but I don't want to cook recipes from all my recipe books. For me they are a fantastic resource; a library of ideas from which I can take inspiration, invent and create. I've read most of them - not all of them cover to cover, but certainly I know what kind of recipes they have. Today, for example, I used 6 recipe books to look up various techniques and ingredients for a recipe I'm working on.
Good for you lol

We can try it, though I'm not certain it will make a huge difference. We can but try! I suggest we therefore extend this game until midday Wednesday 2nd October and then start Game #5. That would be neater and also allow some of us a bit more time to make an entry for this one. I have another recipe or two lined up so that would be great.
OK, it's a deal lol DH got a kick out of me saying if he can do it, anyone can do it. lol He really is a very good cook. When he is not making something for the game, he comes up with some pretty good ideas on his own. The only thing is, he wings them and can't remember what he puts in them half the time. lol

You are lucky! My partner used to be a better cook than me but sadly he has 'forgotten' almost everything he knew. Did your DH always cook?
I guess as much as anyone when they live alone. But for most of our lives together, I did most of the cooking up until 5 years ago.

In the H books I have:

Donna Hay (Australian chef - signed copy I found in a charity shop)
Ambrose Heath - vintage books from and English cookery writer
Nicola Humbert - technically a book about the history of recipe books but it contains recipes too
and like jojopops70, a Paul Hollywood book

I have one planned from Donna Hay and possibly a second from Ambrose Heath.

MG says she has 150 cookbooks. 1 cookbook a month. According to my math, that will take her 12 1/2 years to use all her cookbooks one time. Do you know where you will be in 12 1/2 years?

It might be all right for you young people, but ..............
MG, hope you didn't mind me using you as an example? You have the most cookbooks of the players (other than myself, it would take me over 25 years to use 1 cookbook a month. :eek::cry::cry:

Back
Top Bottom