The Cookbook Game #4

It really doesn't matter (although I've been missing your entries). We all get down times and to be honest I'm struggling a bit right now. It may not seem that way but I'm having to really push myself to cook & photograph things. Lots of day to day health issues getting to me... plus stressful family issues.
MG, sounds like you need a vacation. If there is anything any one of us can do to help, please, let us know. Hope everything works out. Just take it easy. This is a great forum, but it's not as important as your health. Prayers for you.

MG, sounds like you need a vacation. If there is anything any one of us can do to help, please, let us know. Hope everything works out. Just take it easy. This is a great forum, but it's not as important as your health. Prayers for you.

Thank you. Cooking & photographing helps me get through - at least I feel I've achieved something by the end of the day if I've managed to do that. Its just that I have to make myself do it in the first place if I'm not feeling too well.

I made Citrus Sweet Potato Butter, a Vivian Howard recipe from her cookbook Deep Run Roots. I made it Thursday evening, we had company and everyone loved it. I followed the recipe exactly. I did freshly squeeze the orange juice and I used unsalted butter. This will be in my Thanksgiving menu. I smeared a little in each bite of the roasted chicken. My friend slightly dipped her chicken into it. My girls used it as butter in their rolls. I'm looking forward to using this on leftover turkey sandwiches.

Vegetables, Salads and Mushrooms

[Mod.Edit: Citrus Sweet Potato Butter]

(For some reason I can't get my actual recipe title to post here. Don't know why...)

Last edited by a moderator:
DH did make a recipe from one of the H books, and I posted it on the soup thread. And I explained why I couldn't use it for the game.

But it was very good:soup:

My second 'H' book is Donna Hay's 'The New Cook' (2007).

Donna Hay is an Australian food writer, food stylist and the author of 27 bestselling cookbooks. Her books are known for their simple recipes and beautiful photography. She was named one of the 'Magnificent Seven' cookbook authors by the judges of the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards in January 2007. Her most recent book, Modern Baking, was released in October 2018.

Despite being a large format 'coffee table' style book, this is a practical recipe book which starts with the basics of cooking, with ingredients such as fish, eggs and vegetables moving on to more complicated combinations. The book demonstrates the eclectic style of Australian cooking and although it was published 12 years ago, comes over as fresh and contemporary. Recipes have short lists of ingredients, and focus on cooking the meal in a few easy steps. There are also some useful 'how to' sections with step-by-step photographs.

I'd recommend this book to inexperienced cooks as it is very clear and uncomplicated.

JUST A REMINDER

There is just a little over a day and a half left in GAME #4. Have you checked your Cookbook #24?

JUST A REMINDER

There is just a little over a day and a half left in GAME #4. Have you checked your Cookbook #24?

Managed to do something tonight, probably won't be able to finish write up etc until tomorrow evening 😊

Managed to finish......

Recipe - Cheese & Chive Scones

Recipie above, hopefully.

It went well, the scones are tasty and very quick to do. I was struggling for time so had to find something that didn't take a lot of time. I would do them again for sure.
Just a note, I cooked them at 200C in a fan oven as the recipe states 220C but also at the beginning of the book, Paul states all temperatures are for conventional ovens.

Managed to finish......

Recipe - Cheese & Chive Scones

Recipie above, hopefully.

It went well, the scones are tasty and very quick to do. I was struggling for time so had to find something that didn't take a lot of time. I would do them again for sure.
Just a note, I cooked them at 200C in a fan oven as the recipe states 220C but also at the beginning of the book, Paul states all temperatures are for conventional ovens.

View attachment 32819

They look great - I posted a comment on the recipe thread.

Back
Top Bottom