The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Alliums

When I pick an ingredient, I want to pick one that everyone can potentially get without great difficulty. But, this is the first time I'm picking an ingredient because it's one I don't use very often, and I'm hoping for some excellent ideas from all the talented home cooks on this forum.

Therefore, I'm picking:

sitemgr_winegrapes2.jpg

Wine. This includes all shades of wine (red, white, rose, etc), sparkling wines, and alcohol-free wines. I am also allowing wine vinegar.

By the way, I just read this amazing wine-related story. Jerry Jones is the owner of the Dallas Cowboys football (🏈) team. He's worth $8.5 billion, and he can certainly afford to buy any bottle of wine he wants. But, apparently he wants wine from a gas station.

Etz54zlWQA4S2Td-1-e1612977794558.jpg

I will happily take a recipe from Mr. Jones, but he has to join the forum first. 🍷

Therefore, I'm picking:

Wine. This includes all shades of wine (red, white, rose, etc), sparkling wines, and alcohol-free wines. I am also allowing wine vinegar.

The Late Night Gourmet, you and I are on the same wavelength. I had thought, if I had had a recipe picked, to choose wine as the ingredient.

Bravo!

And I have just bought in the last couple days, two bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon. Now I need to figure on a white.

When I pick an ingredient, I want to pick one that everyone can potentially get without great difficulty. But, this is the first time I'm picking an ingredient because it's one I don't use very often, and I'm hoping for some excellent ideas from all the talented home cooks on this forum.

Therefore, I'm picking:

View attachment 57162

By the way, I just read this amazing wine-related story. Jerry Jones is the owner of the Dallas Cowboys football (🏈) team. He's worth $8.5 billion, and he can certainly afford to buy any bottle of wine he wants. But, apparently he wants wine from a gas station.

View attachment 57163

I will happily take a recipe from Mr. Jones, but he has to join the forum first. 🍷

Good choice, cheers! 🍷

Therefore, I'm picking:

View attachment 57162

View attachment 57163

I should get my husband to join the forum. He makes homemade wine, LOL!

Just kidding about him entering how to make wine as a recipe. The recipe write up would literally take months.

Darn it, my first thoughts were grapes but the grapes on my vine are not yet ripe and it's going to be a good harvest this year.

Err wine. . . That's a bugger. I don't use it or drink it in any form.

However, if you are include wine vinegar, are you including sherry and sherry vinegar? (Not that I have any it use it, but just want to clarify).

And has it got to be fermented? I use grape molasses (pekmez) quite a bit. Is that included? I was assuming not but.

Darn it, my first thoughts were grapes but the grapes on my vine are not yet ripe and it's going to be a good harvest this year.

Err wine. . . That's a bugger. I don't use it or drink it in any form.

However, if you are include wine vinegar, are you including sherry and sherry vinegar? (Not that I have any it use it, but just want to clarify).

And has it got to be fermented? I use grape molasses (pekmez) quite a bit. Is that included? I was assuming not but.
Sure. Why not? Now I’m looking forward to what you make with grape molasses. Not grapes, though. Sorry about that.

Sure. Why not? Now I’m looking forward to what you make with grape molasses. Not grapes, though. Sorry about that.

We have "rice wine" here but I wouldn't have a clue how to cook with it. In fact I wouldn't go near it unless I was contemplating suicide. I'll stick with the grape variety of wine.

Last edited:
Congratulations The Late Night Gourmet, that soup looked delicious. And a great ingredient for the next one!!
I know, right? Roasted garlic is sooo wonderful. I can eat it on bread with olive oil and salt just the way it is. In a soup? OMG!!!! And with a bottle of wine to go with it...

This next challenge should prove to be very interesting!

Don't worry, the grape vine will take a few more weeks to ripen up yet! Congrats by the way.

I've started a new thread which can be found here. The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Wine

I've added 3 weeks to the end date of the last round as the end date (mid week tend to suit the planners better because we typically shop on a Friday... :whistling: does that suit you? If not let me know. I've put a tbc alongside it as it is, so...

Don't worry, the grape vine will take a few more weeks to ripen up yet! Congrats by the way.

I've started a new thread which can be found here. The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Wine

I've added 3 weeks to the end date of the last round as the end date (mid week tend to suit the planners better because we typically shop on a Friday... :whistling: does that suit you? If not let me know. I've put a tbc alongside it as it is, so...
Thank you...that seems perfect.

Back
Top Bottom