The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Alliums

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:22 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is alliums and Morning Glory (that's me :ohmy:) is judge. Alliums include onion, leeks, garlic, Spring onions (scallions), chives etc. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe using alliums (as a new thread), tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday Thursday 11th February, UK time (GMT). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

Tuna Noodle Hot Dish with Shallots, Onion and Garlic

TunaNoodleHotDish.jpg

I went to Kroger this evening, and they had just stocked some very nice, and very large sweet onions. It is a bit early for Texas 1015 onions, and nothing indicated that they were. I'll just have to see if they really are sweet, or not. I bought six of them.

CD

I went to Kroger this evening, and they had just stocked some very nice, and very large sweet onions. It is a bit early for Texas 1015 onions, and nothing indicated that they were. I'll just have to see if they really are sweet, or not. I bought six of them.

CD
Don't temp us like that. Make something and post it. I can make a good dish with winter onions here (I shoveled today in Michigan. Snow, not onions, but that's why our onions are imports in January) They're always better fresh. Don't let us down!

Don't temp us like that. Make something and post it. I can make a good dish with winter onions here (I shoveled today in Michigan. Snow, not onions, but that's why our onions are imports in January) They're always better fresh. Don't let us down!

I have some ideas. I need to make something artsy, since MG is judging. :whistling:

CD

I have some ideas. I need to make something artsy, since MG is judging. :whistling:

CD

Its occurred to me that onions aren't the most photogenic of subjects as they tend to fall in the browny beige category of food. They need pimping up. Leeks, Spring onions and chives are prettier.

How many bowls of French Onion Soup can you handle? :laugh:

CD

It could make judging easier, I suppose. Or not...

For the record, I have no issues with the judge making recipes for their challenge.This issue has arisen in the past, and my response is still the same. It helps to stimulate ideas, keeps the thread active in the early days, adds more recipes to the forum but most importantly does not exclude the judge from the next round of the competition leaving them feeling excluded by winning.
The only condition I have is that they can not select themselves as the winner.

View attachment 55435

Air Fryer Onion Rings.
Using an air fryer lets you make delicious food that’s quite healthy, but there’s a bit of extra work involved. Still, delicious, and I don’t have to feel too bad about eating a lot of them.
Those look scrumptious. I've never been able to get mine crispy in the air fryer. Are you going to post the recipe?

Back
Top Bottom