The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Alliums

Chicken Shallot Stew

ChickenShallotStew.jpg

Confessions of a lunatic amateur novice cook ...

This last recipe of mine (Leek and Chicken with Baked Medjool Date Loaf) is a first timer in a couple ways ...

-- This is my first time using Leek, even ever having eaten Leek. I had to taste test it raw to find out more about it. I note also that Leek is one of the dirtiest vegetables I have ever cooked with. Soil was found packed thick down between the leaves and I had to do some really thorough rinsing. Even after I cross sliced the lower part, I had to wash out dirt from the slices too.

-- This is my first time blending a meat with a fruit, ie. making a puree of Dates and Chicken together. This ultimately was hard to detect in the final result, although I thought it might be. It did create a nice transition from the Date Bread bottom layer to the top which held up the Leek Disks and Chicken pieces.

This was an incredibly sweet and rich meal which after doing a serving, was a knock-out pill and I napped for three hours.

Whoa! And I still have a two servings in the fridge to heat up tomorrow.

I note also that Leek is one of the dirtiest vegetables I have ever cooked with. Soil was found packed thick down between the leaves and I had to do some really thorough rinsing. Even after I cross sliced the lower part, I had to wash out dirt from the slices too.

Really? wow (for me it's scallions/spring onions that are always full of mud). I find leeks super clean and easy - slice off the root, top off the dryer/browner parts of leaf, quick run under the tap and ready to go.

Really? wow (for me it's scallions/spring onions that are always full of mud). I find leeks super clean and easy - slice off the root, top off the dryer/browner parts of leaf, quick run under the tap and ready to go.

Oh no. I've had some dirt in Scallions before, but generally, they are fairly clean. These Leeks I bought appear to have been grown in a swamp.

Any leeks I've ever had have been full of dirt. They're notoriously a pain in the neck to clean, so gritty. There are lots of articles and videos online on cleaning them, here's one:

Search Page

Thanks for that link. Now I understand why I see a lot of people long cutting leeks, instead of cross cutting them. I think now that that's what I'll be doing, but immediately after getting them home from the grocer.

Recipe thread coming in a bit, gotta finish up the card build.

Leek, Bacon & Gruyère Tart​

View attachment 55751

View attachment 55752

Looks great, as I expected. I need to get my lazy butt off the couch and get busy in the kitchen.

Um, to be an official entry in the challenge, you have to jump though a few hoops. You have to post a recipe thread, and tag it, and link it to this thread. Morning Glory can be more specific, as I tend to mess it up a few times before I get it right.

CD

Looks great, as I expected. I need to get my lazy butt off the couch and get busy in the kitchen.

Um, to be an official entry in the challenge, you have to jump though a few hoops. You have to post a recipe thread, and tag it, and link it to this thread. Morning Glory can be more specific, as I tend to mess it up a few times before I get it right.

CD
Done and done. I think I got it all square.

Thanks for the feedback!

***EDIT*** just linked it to the recipe. Thanks, CD!

Before I open the thread for my onion bread I want to ask here if it's okay like this, especially if the amount makes sense: 500g wheat flour, 200g spelt flour, 5g yeast, one onion, 1-2 tsp agave syrup/sugar, salt as you like, 300ml buttermilk, 100ml water, 3 tsp corn oil, 2 tsp wheat bran. Please help me 🙏
I always take as much as sugar as I can, before I can taste it, the dough should contain as much liquids until it sticks to my hand and the same with the salt, I put as much in until it gets to dominant, but you should definitely taste it.

Back
Top Bottom