The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Alliums

Before I open the thread for my onion bread I want to ask here if it's okay like this, especially if the amount makes sense: 500g wheat flour, 200g spelt flour, 5g yeast, one onion, 1-2 tsp agave syrup/sugar, salt as you like, 300ml buttermilk, 100ml water, 3 tsp corn oil, 2 tsp wheat bran. Please help me 🙏
I always take as much as sugar as I can, before I can taste it, the dough should contain as much liquids until it sticks to my hand and the same with the salt, I put as much in until it gets to dominant, but you should definitely taste it.

The best way to lay out recipes is using the standard accepted format using two headings: Ingredients and Method.

Ingredients should be listed one by one on each line with the weight or quantity coming first. The method should be listed in succinct points each forming a sentence or two, and its useful to number them. There is an automatic numbering feature in the toolbar of the post (choose 'Ordered List' under 'List' from the drop down)

Following these simple conventions makes it easier for people to read and follow a recipe.

I'm not sure if this was what you were asking but its useful advice in any case.

If you are asking if your recipe quantities look correct then they seem OK to me although I would use 7g of yeast for this quantity of flour. The amount of liquid (400ml) seems a little high perhaps? I'm not sure what you mean by 'I always take as much as sugar as I can'. A standard loaf doesn't really need any or very much sugar.

Excuse me for my bad english and thank you very much for your answer. I like my bread a little bit sweetened and I always try to get to point of sweetness, where it's just underlining the other flavors. More sugar is better for the yeast, as I heard, but everyone can do it like they want. Stay healthy
Edit: I haven't baked the bread yet, it is rising in the oven

Last edited:
Humpty Dumpty's Cheese & Scallion Pastries
sca_28.jpg

Last edited:
Really? wow (for me it's scallions/spring onions that are always full of mud). I find leeks super clean and easy - slice off the root, top off the dryer/browner parts of leaf, quick run under the tap and ready to go.

I wanted to come back on this with a photo or two to demonstrate how dirty Leek can be.

LeekDirtyBeforeCleaning.jpg

This is what I encountered with my second Leek. The first was worse.

LeekDuringCleanup.jpg

Here, I have cut the Leek lengthwise, instead of cross-cutting. This was based on the advice by TastyReuben with the link he provided. Note that dirt is still visible in this photo in the quarters on the left. It got deep down into the leaves.

Lengthwise cutting Leek makes it much easier to clean. Pre-cleaning and cutting the Leek, right after returning from the grocer, also makes it more compact to store in the refrigerator (or freezer). I assume that Leek can be frozen like I can freeze Scallion, once it is cut up.

I wanted to come back on this with a photo or two to demonstrate how dirty Leek can be.

This is what I encountered with my second Leek. The first was worse.

Here, I have cut the Leek lengthwise, instead of cross-cutting. This was based on the advice by TastyReuben with the link he provided. Note that dirt is still visible in this photo in the quarters on the left. It got deep down into the leaves.

Lengthwise cutting Leek makes it much easier to clean. Pre-cleaning and cutting the Leek, right after returning from the grocer, also makes it more compact to store in the refrigerator (or freezer). I assume that Leek can be frozen like I can freeze Scallion, once it is cut up.
Yeah, they're grown in loose sandy soil, and are known for their dirtiness. We typically do all the cutting/processing, then into a sink full of ice water, agitate briskly...the leeks float to the top, dirt to the bottom, then scoop into a strainer to drain and then store for service.

Dirty, but delicious little monkeys.

Excuse me for my bad english and thank you very much for your answer. I like my bread a little bit sweetened and I always try to get to point of sweetness, where it's just underlining the other flavors. More sugar is better for the yeast, as I heard, but everyone can do it like they want. Stay healthy

When I write up a recipe for a challenge, I list the ingredients that I used, and the method that I used, but try to convey the idea that people can/should alter the recipe to their tastes, and to use what is available to them, where they live.

CD

Your English is fine! I know people in the US who only know English and they are not so good as you, LOL.

I too like a sweeter bread. I found a bread recipe that has buttermilk and honey in it that I am baking right now (it's just an ordinary bread, not anything with allium).

I am not so good at baking, I am terribly lazy with baking :laugh:

Your English good and passable. If you feel you need to, you can use the Google Language Translator. Just google 'language translator' to find it.

Braised Garlic Chicken. I tend to try new or made up recipes when I enter these challenges...but as soon as I saw garlic I knew I had to include this as has been one of my favourites for many, many years. And so easy, which probably helped cement it in the favourites rotation.

Recipe and dated video: (1) Recipe & Video - Braised Garlic Chicken | CookingBites Cooking Forum

Here is my Onion Bread entry
img_20210126_0728485701370391056065962.jpg

I have to criticize it, the smell was promising, but the next time I'll add two onions and maybe some herbs. You could taste the yeast a little bit, but more salt will solve the problem. The inside is crumbly, I'm not a big fan of it, but the crust the... Oh boy, that's what I love about this bread.
murphyscreek very nice chicken
Stay healthy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom