The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Alliums

img_20210129_0739376432794186325072224.jpg

Here is my next entry leek pie/quiche. I haven't tasted it yet but I will edit my critique later. Stay healthy
Edit: tastes like good quality bought quiche, well balanced.

Last edited:
I posted this quote from Anthony Bourdain shortly after he died, and I think of it whenever I use garlic in a recipe:

“Garlic is divine. Few food items can taste so many distinct ways, handled correctly. Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago and garlic that has been tragically smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all disgusting. Please treat your garlic with respect. Sliver it for pasta, like you saw in Goodfellas; don’t burn it. Smash it, with the flat of your knife blade if you like, but don’t put it through a press. I don’t know what that junk is that squeezes out the end of those things, but it ain’t garlic. And try roasting garlic. It gets mellower and sweeter if you roast it whole, still on the clove, to be squeezed out later when it’s soft and brown. Nothing will permeate your food more irrevocably and irreparably than burnt or rancid garlic. Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screw-top jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don’t deserve to eat garlic.”

Having just made my roasted garlic soup again (this time with 5 heads of garlic, and proportionally more of the other ingredients), I am tempted to buy a bag of peeled garlic cloves. But, Morning Glory, I did try the microwave method to loosen the peel, and it helped. It's still labor-intensive to peel that many cloves, but I think I'll manage.

I use alliums almost every day, but mostly they are just background ingredients. I really wanted to find a recipe where the allium was the star of the show. And seeing as last night was curry night, onion bhajis seemed appropriate :laugh:
That's been my thing, too. I use onions and garlic in cooking every day. I want to do something allium-centric. I've got a couple of ideas -- that someone will post before me. But I remain undaunted. No cheeseburger with onions for me, I'm thinking "deep end without knowing how to swim." That would have been a lot easier when I was allowed to drink.

CD

I may do one more challenge recipe and then just go with other things. This Alliums challenge has me packing on too many calories with Meat dishes. My fridge and freezer are packed with Beef, Lamb, Pork and Chicken. I need to get back to some norm in my diet as a diabetic.

And I want to turn to doing some Breads and other things.

I have a blood lab coming up for my primary care physician and I have to wonder what that is going to look like.

But, @Morning Glory, I did try the microwave method to loosen the peel, and it helped. It's still labor-intensive to peel that many cloves, but I think I'll manage.

I peeled some earlier using microwave - its more like 10 seconds (maybe I said less?) and the skins should literally slip away.

I rarely need to peel more than four or five cloves at a time, so I just cut the root end off, then lightly tap them with the side of my knife, just enough to loosen the skin. Then they just pop right out. Just a few seconds per clove.

I like that mixing bowl method, though - I'm trying that next time!

Back
Top Bottom