The CookingBites recipe challenge: beer

Recipe - Beer braised mushrooms with creamed parsnips

Beer. I haven't often cooked with beer - made a beer bread once ages ago, and probably dropped it into something else in the past. But, I hope I can scratch my noodle to come up with something.

(Beer is something I don't often drink - so I don't keep it around unless I have beer-loving guests coming. I do like a cold beer on a really hot day, which we probably won't have again until next summer. But I'll find something good.)

Slugfest Beer. (this is NOT an entry!)

Take one can of cheap beer, Pabst is a good brand for this, see lower.

Take however many cleaned up tins of cat food that it would take to fill each of these about a third to halfway full. (Not the tall tins.) Fill accordingly.

Place in garden when slugs are a problem. Wait a day or two.

Slugs will come along, and be tempted into the beer-laden tins and drown.

Paraphrasing the old Pabst catchphrase --

Pabst - the One Beer to have when you are having more than one.... slug.

The unfortunate thing about this recipe is that it tends to draw slugs in from what appears to be miles around, and so you really might end up with a worse problem than you started with. I no longer do this.

Are you going to write up the recipes for the fishcakes and pancakes (as entries?)

I've posted the Yorkshire fishcakes recipe already (back in September 2021 - #1).

I suppose that I could enter the pancakes - it's not complicated.

So here´s an easy one. Welsh Rarebit
I haven´t seen it around much recently; maybe it´s gone out of fashion, but it´s delicious. You can have it for breakfast, as part of a light lunch or as a snack.
The mystery is where the name came from. Some believe it´s because the Welsh ate very frugal meals and couldn´t afford rabbit, or maybe it was the English taking the mickey (because the Welsh couldn´t even afford rabbit, or maybe it was just some looney inventing a name. It was first recognised in the early 18th century, as a bar snack.
The recipe is deliberately vague - you make a roux, add mustard, beer and cheese, then dump it on to a piece of toast and grill (broil) it. What could be easier than that? You can also make this in advance and freeze it!

...I´m thinking beer porridge for breakfast tomorrow....
Hey, don’t knock it. I just made a savory breakfast oatmeal for the previous challenge. Beer’s not too far out of the realm of possibilities for that.

I´m not knocking the beer.
It´s the porridge which is ´orrible! :D :D :D :D

I'm not really great fan of porridge either, although my Dad used to make it for me in the mornings sometimes with a big lump of butter, brown sugar and a drizzle of evaporated milk. Nice...

I am off topic. To get back on track, my next venture is a beef stew with beer.

Back
Top Bottom