The CookingBites recipe challenge: berries

Not an entry, just something I made for Mister Next Door Neighbors Birthday cake next month.

IMG_1902.JPG
IMG_1901.JPG
IMG_1900.JPG

I'd never done this before.
I made a seedless Raspberry Filling for a Chocolate Cake.
It's a good thing that I had on a pink apron, no one will notice all of the spatters of Raspberry juices :whistling:
The recipe that I cobbled together with others said that the filling should be very thick, so that it does not ooze of from between the cake layers... it is!

Oh gosh!

When we say deadline midnight Sunday in the UK it means the hour of midnight striking - the very end of the last hour on Sunday (not the first minute of Sunday). Technically this could be disputed because 12 midnight is neither am nor pm! But its generally accepted that if a challenge closes at midnight it means the end of that day.

When midnight strikes on Sunday in the UK it will be 7pm Sunday (EDT) in Detroit.

Maybe the deadline should be 11:59 PM? :)

Maybe the deadline should be 11:59 PM? :)

In fact, the challenge used to end at midday which is perhaps clearer. Then it got accidentally changed to midnight so we thought we would stick with it to see if it suited people better. Do you want to stick with 'close of day UK time' Sunday?

I'm happy with that as I have another dish... and two to write up.

There´s a HUGE park in Maidstone, called Mote Park. As I wandered around the other day, I couldn´t help but notice hundreds, and thousands of blackberry brambles. They grow wild, all over the place, so I did a bit of foraging and picked a couple of kilos in about 10 minutes. :eek: 🙂🙂 "Why don´t people pick them?" I thought - but they don´t. Perhaps the old instinct of foraging for free fruit has died off.
Not for me, though.

Blackberry and Apple Jelly

There´s a HUGE park in Maidstone, called Mote Park. As I wandered around the other day, I couldn´t help but notice hundreds, and thousands of blackberry brambles. They grow wild, all over the place, so I did a bit of foraging and picked a couple of kilos in about 10 minutes. :eek: 🙂🙂 "Why don´t people pick them?" I thought - but they don´t. Perhaps the old instinct of foraging for free fruit has died off.
Not for me, though.

Blackberry and Apple Jelly

View attachment 88471

View attachment 88473
Maybe they are unsure if they are safe to eat due to not knowing what pesticides and other chemicals may have been used on them or in the nearby environment.

Looks mighty fine to me!

Maybe they are unsure if they are safe to eat due to not knowing what pesticides and other chemicals may have been used on them or in the nearby environment.
Nah. That side of the park is wild; no pesticides, no chemicals, nothing. They don´t even cut the foliage back. They call it a "Green Belt" around the park because they just let it grow wild.

Nah. That side of the park is wild; no pesticides, no chemicals, nothing. They don´t even cut the foliage back. They call it a "Green Belt" around the park because they just let it grow wild.
So basically people would rather go to the market and purchase them rather than take the time to pick? Hmmm, sounds very odd to me.

So basically people would rather go to the market and purchase them rather than take the time to pick? Hmmm, sounds very odd to me.
Here in this part of Australia, it in not uncommon in Autumn to come across a vehicle parked in the central reservation of the highway with all the occupants in the reservation, plastic bags in hand picking blackberries. It is usually sections that have signs up saying about regeneration of the natural flora....

Blackberries and black raspberries grow wild around three sides of our property. I’m always trying to mow them down, MrsT is always trying to eat them! :laugh:
Yeah, our whole backyard ground cover is wild strawberries and we have mulberry trees as well, plus a raspberry bush that we relocated to the backyard. We pretty much let the critters have them all!

Back
Top Bottom