The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Celery

I would like to mention that frying is not the healthiest way to eat and baking is a healthier and lower fat & lower caloric way to prepare.
There isn't anything that wrong with frying. Oil isn't unhealthy - it just has shed loads of calories. Its the extra calories in fried foods which can make us fat. But if you drizzle a load of olive oil over a salad then it has lots of calories too. Right now, I'm off to cook some chips! :laugh:

... oh and watch this thread for my deep fried celeriac beignet which is part of an entry for this challenge (coming up tomorrow) :D.

There isn't anything that wrong with frying. Oil isn't unhealthy - it just has shed loads of calories. Its the extra calories in fried foods which can make us fat. But if you drizzle a load of olive oil over a salad then it has lots of calories too. Right now, I'm off to cook some chips! :laugh:

... oh and watch this thread for my deep fried celeriac beignet which is part of an entry for this challenge (coming up tomorrow) :D.

@morning glory

Yes, Extra Virgin Olive Oil that is 100% natural is not unhealthy if used in small quantities. I use 1 tablespoon per person ..

However, deep fried foods are not healthy and same goes for bleached white flour ..

To each his or her own !!!

Celery with gorgonzola mousse and walnuts
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/celery-with-gorgonzola-mousse-and-walnuts.11771/
crostini di sedano.jpg

Cooking Bites Challenge: Celery.

After much consideration I have selected a Challenge winner.

The entries were
@Elawin - Fish Stew - the celery is a perfect compliment to the luscious seafood. Something I would like to try.
@flyinglentris - Tomato Smoothie - I agree with @The Late Night Gourmet - that would be a perfect base for a Bloody Mary.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn - Braised Celery - I love braising as a cooking method. The simple preparation focuses on the celery.
@TheLateNightGourmet - Celery Gravy and Celery Poutine. You never cease to amaze me with your inventiveness. Your celery fries look like potato fries. The illustrated directions are an added bonus.
@flyinglentris - Salmon Net Allumette. - So impressive. A visual feast. Your illustrated directions make it all come together. You really out did yourself.
@Sandra - Spelt Spaghetti with Celery and Pistachio Pesto. I love the thought out simplicity of your dishes. I had to look up Spelt. :oops:. I can think of many uses for your Pesto.
@medtran49 - Celery Root Nachos and Chips - What a refreshing twist on a rather common place dish. You elevated street food to haute cuisine.
@Sandra - Celery with Gorgonzola Mousse and Walnuts. Again you present a plate of divine simplicity. This will definitely be on the menu soon.
@morning glory - Cajun Style Stuffed Eggs - a great twist on a classic. Perfect for lunch or a party.
@morning glory - Vegan Celeriac Remoulade - Even my very non vegan family would enjoy this dish.
@morning glory - Sort of Waldorf. Wow! A wonderful starter. The croquettes - a lovely twist.

I spent a lot of time reviewing the recipes, making notes, waffling back and forth. I am still torn. All of these recipes are amazing. you have all demonstrated inventiveness, originality, visual appeal and the technical skills of a Master Chef. You all deserve congratulations.

Congratulations to the winner of the Cooking Bites Challenge - Celery @flyinglentris for Salmon Net Allumette. A Beautiful presentation.
:bravo:
Thank you all for participating.

I owe an apology to @medtran49 for not including your Celery Root Spiraled Noodles with Cashew, Harissa Cream and Crispy Brussel's Sprout Chips. It was on my working list but I skipped it when I compiled this final list. :oops: A beautiful dish. Your spiral Celery Noodles look perfect.

Last edited:
A worthy winner! I was impressed as well! Thank you for all your comments on the dishes @ElizabethB - and congratulations to @flyinglentris :woot:. Its over to you now @flyinglentris to choose a new ingredient and act as judge for the next challenge. You can see which ingredients people have chosen before in the top post of this thread. Just post your choice of ingredient here and we will set up the new thread. We have been allowing about 3 weeks for the challenge so that would mean a deadline somewhere around the 7th Feb.

Back
Top Bottom