The CookingBites recipe challenge: chilli peppers

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:29 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is chilli peppers* and Yorky is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** which uses chilli peppers, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Thursday 8th December UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* any type of chilli peppers can be used (any colour, fresh and/or dried)
** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

Last edited:
...now corrected.

Great choice of ingredient Yorky! And oddly its never been chosen before as a specific ingredient for the challenge.

Its time I used some of my stash of dried chillies...

One of my favourite chilli recipes..............

Salsa!

salsa.jpg

Nope. But you could use chile peppers.:D:D:D:D:D

Yes, I know that it is spelled chile in many parts of Latin America. But, that spelling seems to just apply to the actual peppers, not to something like a bowl of chili con carne. Here on the Texas/Mexico border, chili seems to be the predominant spelling. But, further west, border towns/states seem to favor chile (at least that's what I've heard).

CD

Yeah, "chile" is the Mexican word for the hot pepper. In other parts of South America it´s called "Ají". A while ago, I just got tired of seeing chile, chili, chilli, and even chilly, so I decided I´d just use the Mexican (nahuatl) term. Of course, the Spanish conquistadores further confused the issue by calling it "pimiento", thinking it was related to the pepper (black/green/white) plant - which of course it´s not. The French called it piment and the bloody English just translated it into pepper. An etymological cock up.

Back
Top Bottom