The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Coconut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:10 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is coconut* and TastyReuben is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe containing coconut as a new thread, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday on Wednesday 25th March (GMT). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

*Any form of coconut can be used: Whole, fresh, pre-shredded, desiccated, coconut milk or cream etc.

Last edited:
Ap_mgYpgE6RUMK7TaoVQHaDE?w=299&h=124&c=7&o=5&pid=1.jpg

I can't think of many dishes where coconut is the prominent star. Coconut cream pie or ice cream/gelato come to mind. In curries and other dishes it serves as a supporting role.

In curries and other dishes it serves as a supporting role.

It does in a way, although the addition of coconut milk in Thai curries is central to the taste and look of the curry. I use coconut toasted with other spices in curries and that gives a very distinctive taste.

The rules don't state that the ingredient has to be the prominent star. To quote:
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge.
There are some obvious examples of savoury dishes where coconut is central: coconut prawns, coconut rice, soups containing coconut milk (SatNavSaysStraightOn posted some recently), chutneys and relishes made with coconut, fish, shellfish or chicken cooked in coconut milk also various sauces which can be made with coconut milk.

It does in a way, although the addition of coconut milk in Thai curries is central to the taste and look of the curry. I use coconut toasted with other spices in curries and that gives a very distinctive taste.

The rules don't state that the ingredient has to be the prominent star. To quote:
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge.
There are some obvious examples of savoury dishes where coconut is central: coconut prawns, coconut rice, soups containing coconut milk (SatNavSaysStraightOn posted some recently), chutneys and relishes made with coconut, fish, shellfish or chicken cooked in coconut milk also various sauces which can be made with coconut milk.

As above in opening post, "recipe featuring coconut," by the use of the word "featuring," it is implied that the ingredient should be prominent. You had "feature" films back in the day when there would be a cartoon or a short film before the main "feature" film. You have movies "featuring" actors/actresses.

If the recipe just has to contain the ingredient, then maybe it should be "containing," rather than "featuring." I seem to remember comments being made previously by judges that the recipe really didn't feature the chosen ingredient as a reason why a recipe wasn't considered in the top few.

If the recipe just has to contain the ingredient, then maybe it should be "containing," rather than "featuring." I seem to remember comments being made previously by judges that the recipe really didn't feature the chosen ingredient as a reason why a recipe wasn't considered in the top few.

Fair enough - its my phraseology in the top post which I can amend. I know judges have used the criteria of 'not featuring the ingredient enough' in the past, but at the end of the day, its a fun challenge which has no written judging criteria so that is their perogative.

Its a really difficult thing, because in the case of many specific ingredients, they tend to be part of a dish and not necessarily the main player. This is particularly true of spices and herbs (though not always).

Its a really difficult thing, because in the case of many specific ingredients, they tend to be part of a dish and not necessarily the main player. This is particularly true of spices and herbs (though not always).

With coconut, chances are you wont see much, if any, in the food photo, but you will know it is there when you taste the food. That is true of one of the things I'm planning to make.

I think as long as the taste of coconut is fully present, That should be enough. It won't be hard to know with a look at the recipe if you can taste the coconut.

CD

morning glory, I think this is my first attempt for an entry. Could you place this wherever it needs to go please.

Russ

Thai red curry

View attachment 38395

And MG can send you an invoice for her services? :headshake:

Just follow the posted instructions for entering a challenge. It is not that hard, but you will have to read instructions -- and follow them.

If I could figure it out, anyone can. I messed up my first entry, but got it right the second time -- with much frustration and profanity. Now I can do it with no f-bombs.

CD

And MG can send you an invoice for her services? :headshake:

Just follow the posted instructions for entering a challenge. It is not that hard, but you will have to read instructions -- and follow them.

If I could figure it out, anyone can. I messed up my first entry, but got it right the second time -- with much frustration and profanity. Now I can do it with no f-bombs.

CD

I did try and thought I had on another challenge but it didn't show up. I have a short attention span too,doh.! I'll try again but because I couldn't get it to,work I've never entered again.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom