The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Cranberries

We don't usually eat cranberry dishes as neither one of us really cares for them. Craig insists every year that we buy a can of the jellied stuff as he's going to use it for sandwiches. We nearly always throw out the unopened can that's been in the refrigerator from the year before when we buy the new one. :whistling:

My mother used to make a relish with cranberries that she then used in a jello salad. A couple years after she passed, my aunt asked me if I remembered the recipe as they missed having it. Boy was that a good question! I remembered most of the ingredients, but not everything and certainly not the amounts. Had to do an internet search and realized mother had made some changes. Once I get on the desktop, I'll look for it and post, but there won't be a picture. After thinking about it and with a lot more experience from when I last made it with my mother as a teenager, I also suggested some changes to my aunt, which she made and said it was better with them, so I'll incorporate them in the recipe I post.

Last edited:
I can safely say that I could walk into a market thousands of times and cranberries would never cross my mind. Even if I accidentally saw them, I still wouldn't muster up any interest in buying them.

This is the fun part of these Challenges. You are forced to think of how to make an ingredient you don't necessarily care about into something that you might actually like. I'm already thinking of how I'm going to use that second bag of cranberries I bought.

Recipe link added to that first recipe, by the way.

We got an e-mail today from the fancy place where we get caviar and truffles and other like stuff from time to time. It had a coupon code for 20% off. White winter truffles are ONLY $224 for 2 ounces. :D. Anyway, they were also featuring cranberry caviar made with molecular gastronomy. I'm assuming cranberry juice was used along with the chemicals. Maybe I'll get around to trying that for something since I already have the supplies. They sure were pretty in the picture.

I've got a cranberry dish in the oven as I type, and earlier today I saved off a recipe for a country-style pate with cranberry in it. Making that soon.

I have to say, I'm pleased and surprised that so many people are having to put some thought into this! I love cranberries, and am always looking for some way to include them, especially at the holidays, as they're so festive.

I made this a few years ago when I was stuck at home for Thanksgiving (due to a broken ankle.) The friends I might have joined had commitments out of state, but anyhow... I did get some fresh cranberries to play with.

The recipe: Stuffed delicata squash with sweet potatoes, cranberries, etc.

cranberry delicata squash 2015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom