The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Cranberries

D0743D61-06BA-48FB-BF18-D379E5FB4364.jpeg

I Am The Walrus Cranberry Freeze. To understand what the heck I’m talking about with this name, you have to understand a little bit about the history of the Beatles. Many of you probably know that there was a rumor - which I believe the Beatles themselves started - that Paul McCartney was dead, and replaced by a replica. At the end of one of their songs, John supposedly said “I buried Paul”, though he insists he said “cranberry sauce”. So, you see what the connection to this recipe challenge is, right? Maybe not.

The drink you see was made with white cranberry juice and Bombay Sapphire gin, frozen, with frozen cranberries added to the mix. By the time you’re done drinking it, you might not mind eating the frozen raw cranberries.

The image on the glass, of course, reminds you of what happened to Paul.

Last edited:

Fire n Ice Sweet Albarino

This is why this recipe challenge is so good. So I had leftover cranberries from my roulade recipe yesterday, about a glass left in a bottle of albarino that had been sitting in the fridge for ages....and used those to try to invent a chilli cocktail, something I've been meaning to do for ages. I know in a challenge like this we shouldn't be publicly judging our own inventions....but this was surprisingly delicious....albeit quite different with the chilli bite permeating the sweet, cold and icy concoction.

Recipe here: Recipe - Fire n Ice Sweet Albarino

Last edited:
Working on my adult beverage, trial one.
I decided not to look up other recipes, but will go by feel. The cranberries, however, will have to sit in the alcohol of choice for several days before I decant.
This will be fun... well, especially if it is good when I serve it!

If it IS good, or just needs a minor few tweaks, I'll be bringing it to the second Thanksgiving that Saturday after the real one.

There's a cran-raspberry jello salad in the Dec/Jan issue of Taste of Home, made in a ring mold just like my mother used to use.

Not sure if this is the same one but it states it is featured in "our favourite 5-ingredient Vegetarian Christmas Menus' - hmm... since when has gelatine been vegetarian. :mad:

Not sure if this is the same one but it states it is featured in "our favourite 5-ingredient Vegetarian Christmas Menus' - hmm... since when has gelatine been vegetarian. :mad:

Well, I didn't post it because it's vegetarian. I posted because it was cranberry. BUT, there are apparently some brands of gelatin that ARE vegetarian, as they use gelling agents other than meat-derived gelatin. So, if you use 1 of those products, it would be vegetarian.

Well, I didn't post it because it's vegetarian. I posted because it was cranberry. BUT, there are apparently some brands of gelatin that ARE vegetarian, as they use gelling agents other than meat-derived gelatin. So, if you use 1 of those products, it would be vegetarian.

Yes - I know you didn't post it because it was vegetarian - I was just annoyed that Taste of Home classified two gelatine dishes as vegetarian and certainly didn't specify using a vegetarian gelling agent in either. Usually that would be agar-agar. I think Jell-o probably make a vegetarian version using that but it wouldn't be correct to call it gelatine and I don't think they do. I was just thinking of people making Thanksgiving dinners etc. for vegetarian guest and thinking if they made a gelatine salad it would be OK!

I am happy enough with my Cranberry Liqueur that I will be posting it as soon as I get enough ambient light in here for some decent photography! It's a nasty weather day out there right now. Slippery nasty mixed precip and all..

Tomorrow, I start up a new batch of this to bring to the Saturday Thanksgiving I am going to attend.

Yes - I know you didn't post it because it was vegetarian - I was just annoyed that Taste of Home classified two gelatine dishes as vegetarian and certainly didn't specify using a vegetarian gelling agent in either. Usually that would be agar-agar. I think Jell-o probably make a vegetarian version using that but it wouldn't be correct to call it gelatine and I don't think they do. I was just thinking of people making Thanksgiving dinners etc. for vegetarian guest and thinking if they made a gelatine salad it would be OK!

Pectin, which is vegetarian, can act a lot like gelatin. Though you need to add a lot more of it, apparently. Agar is probably a better source for a good vegetarian gelling agent. While there is a lot of pectin in cranberries, there wasn't sufficient to jell up (I tried) the leftover water after I simmered some fresh ones in a low amount of water.

Back
Top Bottom