The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Cumin

So true, but when you see the same info. over and over in different places/mag. I would guess some of it has to be true. But I guess leaving it off the post is for the best. We can always look that info. up ourselves. (I hope a lot of it is true. lol) Anyway, we like cumin and hope it is good for us. lol

I was just being cautious. If something is a scientific fact (like calorie content, fat content, vitamin content etc.) then its great to include it. Otherwise its best to preface any health claims with 'it is said that' or 'it is claimed that'.

So - here is what my research yields regarding 'health benefits' of cumin. It is claimed that:
  • Taken in hot water, cumin can relieve the symptoms of colds and flu.
  • Blended with honey it soothes sore throats
  • Its is a remedy for flatulence, indigestion and diarrhoea
It is (apparently) used in veterinary medicine to calm animals.

Like one book I have list it this way "Historical Remedies" I guess that means like ol' wives tales?

They list it like this - Internally, Antiviral and Stomach cramps.
Externally, Arthritis and Rheumatism

Like one book I have list it this way "Historical Remedies" I guess that means like ol' wives tales?

They list it like this - Internally, Antiviral and Stomach cramps.
Externally, Arthritis and Rheumatism

I eat an awful lot of chilli con carne which contains a substantial quantity of cumin. I used to have arfritis but now I've got fullritis.

Cumin Health Notes: (I'm only linking to sources that seem valid to me as a retired immunological researcher - even so, very few parameters are fully understood when it comes to nutrition)

Popular Herbal Supplements May Affect Chemotherapy This includes Cumin on their list. Original study from Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
Essential Oils from Garlic and other Essential Oils (including cumin) kill "persister" Lyme disease bacteria. Johns Hopkins University. Note that the studies were only conducted in vitro - ie, in test tubes.
Cumin is potentially an aid in mitigating symptoms of diabetes (I don't know anything about this source, but the journal it is published in appears reputable.) Journal of Complementary Integrative Medicine.

I'll look up more later. My chickens are calling me.

Minced Pork, Aubergine & Green Beans with Cumin (Chinese style)

fullsizeoutput_4f52.jpeg

53066DF6-AE3D-4F9F-ADCF-37B96B54C413.jpeg

Chicken Sushi.
Don’t be scared: remember, sushi can be cooked, too (I think it’s an unspoken rule of this forum that we shouldn’t post recipes that can potentially put someone in the hospital).

This might just be the most fun I’ve had in a very long time making a recipe. And, believe it or not, it wasn’t that hard.

Serving suggestion shown above: a shot of tequila, served in a shot glass from Mexico (Cancun). Altos is very good for the price. This is an Añejo, a tequila aged for up to a year. You can taste the oak with every sip.

The lime is for all of the above or neither. Everything stands up on its own merits, but I do like the effect that lime has. It seems to always make Mexican food taste better.

There are toasted cumin seeds in the rice. Are there supposed to be cumin seeds in the rice? Of course there are! The Japanese people have been making sushi wrong all these years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom