The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Cumin

Just for the record, my recipe was for Cajun Popcorn SHRIMP lol

I apologise. I misread the recipe completely. It was very early when I went through the entries and having never heard of "popcorn shrimp" before and the "shrimp" part being enclosed in brackets...... I honestly thought that it was popcorn with shrimps.

Wowww!!! Thanks @Yorky and everyine else who entered. Genuinely surprised as there were so many delicious looking recipes submitted for this one.

Last edited:
However, there can only be one winner and having been initially torn between the chilli chicken of @murphyscreek, @morning glory’s chicken fillets and @detroitdad’s chicken patties, I finally decided upon @murphyscreek as this month’s winner (the garlic butter sauce being the deciding factor).

Thank you for shortlisting me - you missed one of my entries off your list of entries but it doesn't matter - it wouldn't have won.

Congratulations @murphyscreek for winning with your succulent, delicious and seductive Chilli Cumin Chicken with Butter Garlic Sauce. :woot:

If you choose the next ingredient & post it here we will set up a new thread.

For reference, previous ingredients in date order & alphabetical order are here.

Have been trying to think of an ingredient that covers sweet or savoury, veg or non veg, and is used across a variety of National cuisines. So am going to nominate honey.

Interesting choice and one we haven't had before. Some vegans don't eat honey but to my knowledge we have only one active vegan member (@SatNavSaysStraightOn) who I believe does occasionally eat it. As you say - it works sweet or savoury too.

I counted the entries - there were 15 so I thought that I had them all covered. I'll say again though, it was very early morning and I'd had a shed load of beer the previous day.

There were actually 16 entries - but @cookieee hadn't tagged one of hers so it doesn't show on the list when you click on cookingbites recipe challenge. My missing item was the Pilau I posted last.

@morning glory ’s potato and pea curry caught my attention because it includes my favourite potatoes and also has Madhur Jaffrey’s name on it.

Did you by any chance read my comments on this recipe? Click here: #23 to see. I was actually quite shocked as I'd always thought I could trust her recipes.

Did you by any chance read my comments on this recipe? Click here: #23 to see. I was actually quite shocked as I'd always thought I could trust her recipes.

No I didn't (but I have now). I occasionally cook aloo matar myself but whose recipe I use does not come immediately to mind.

Anyway, these are the ingredients that I use and for which I would consider is four portions (as a side dish).
  • 1 Medium onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp Ginger, chopped
  • 2 tsp Garlic, chopped
  • 1 Cinnamon stick, 100 mm long broken up
  • 2 tblsp Olive oil or ghee
  • ½ tsp Ground turmeric
  • 2 tsp Ground cumin seeds
  • ¾ tsp Chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
  • ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 500 gm scrubbed and cubed potatoes (25 mm)
  • 6 fresh whole green or red chillis
  • 3 Tomatoes, peeled and chopped.
  • 1 tsp tomato puree
  • 1 tsp salt, or to taste
  • 100 gm frozen peas
  • Fresh coriander leaves.
aloomatar.jpg

No I didn't (but I have now). I occasionally cook aloo matar myself but whose recipe I use does not come immediately to mind.

Anyway, these are the ingredients that I use and for which I would consider is four portions (as a side dish).

Is the recipe on the forum?

There were actually 16 entries - but @cookieee hadn't tagged one of hers so it doesn't show on the list when you click on cookingbites recipe challenge. My missing item was the Pilau I posted last.

I really did have a skinfull yesterday. A couple of mates came around in the afternoon and I must have cleared over 5 litres. And, until I saw your post this morning, I was under the impression that the closing date was 8th September so that didn't help any.

Have been trying to think of an ingredient that covers sweet or savoury, veg or non veg, and is used across a variety of National cuisines. So am going to nominate honey.
Congratulations on the win, and thank you for picking a versatile ingredient.

I really did have a skinfull yesterday. A couple of mates came around in the afternoon and I must have cleared over 5 litres. And, until I saw your post this morning, I was under the impression that the closing date was 8th September so that didn't help any.
:laugh: Hope you have recovered now.

Congrats! Im honored to even make the top list of entries.

Im kind of glad I didn't win. Picking the winning recipe is exhaustingly difficult lol

Interesting choice and one we haven't had before. Some vegans don't eat honey but to my knowledge we have only one active vegan member (@SatNavSaysStraightOn) who I believe does occasionally eat it. As you say - it works sweet or savoury too.
As you quite rightly say, vegans do not eat honey (they eat nothing produced by produced by or from anything alive (mammals, insects, fish etc) ). Vegetarians do eat/use it. I only very occasionally touch it, usually in commercial stuff where I've not had a choice and am desperate. It is usually substituted with either maple syrup, rice bran sugar or agave nectar (though I'm not a fan if the latter for other reasons).

Back
Top Bottom