The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Cumin

I am looking forward to seeing the entries, as cumin (comino) is an ingredient I use sparingly. I use in in my chili, but I find a little bit goes a long way, and it is easy to use too much. I use a Mexican brand of "comino," which may be stronger in flavor. Anyway, I can't wait to see what people do with it as a central ingredient to their entries.

CD

P1060501fb.jpg

Lamb koftas cooked for lunch today and for the cumin challenge. Recipe thread is here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/lamb-koftas.16157/

EBAFF49E-912C-46F8-8477-836EBE011AF6.jpeg

Mango Apricot Chutney -
served with papadum bread. I didn’t make the bread, but I did make the chutney.

It all starts out innocently enough, and then the. cumin grabs you by the throat and says “do you like cumin? If not, then too bad!“

It works because the cumin has a reunion with the garlic and the ginger: they have worked well together in the past. They get a cumin into the night club, and the fruit are won over by the cumin’s personality. It doesn’t make sense at first, but eventually it does.

Last edited:
15 entries @Yorky! You have your work cut out judging this. Just to remind you that if you click on the cookingbites recipe challenge tag you will see all the entries listed with live links.

Happy judging... :happy:

I've only this minute realised why you posted that yesterday. For whatever reason I was sure judging day was 8th September. Doh!

I'm on to it now.

The entries were:

@cookieee - Cilantro Adobo

@cookieee - Cajun Popcorn

@cookieee - Spinach with Ginger, Fennel and Black Cumin Seed

@detroitdad - Ground Chicken Cumin Patties

@morning glory - Potato and Pea Curry

@morning glory - Minced Pork, Aubergine & Green Beans with Cumin

@morning glory - Pork, Cumin & Coriander Koftas

@morning glory - Chicken Fillets with Cumin & Lime Leaves

@Mountain Cat - Eggplant / Aubergine Dal

@murphyscreek - Chilli Cumin Chicken poached in a Butter Garlic Sauce.

@murphyscreek - Lamb koftas

@The Late Night Gourmet - Spicy Mushroom Soup

@The Late Night Gourmet - Chicken Sushi

@The Late Night Gourmet - Mango Apricot Chutney

@TodayInTheKitchen - Cumin Chicken Soup

@morning glory ’s potato and pea curry caught my attention because it includes my favourite potatoes and also has Madhur Jaffrey’s name on it.

The two kofta dishes of @murphyscreek and @morning glory appear very tasty – it seems a long time since I ate koftas.

@cookieee’s popcorn with cumin sounds very unusual (at least it does to me). If I could obtain popcorn easily I would definitely try this.

@Mountain Cat’s dhal with aubergine looks very tempting, likewise @The Late Night Gourmet’s chutney. My own experience making mango chutney has been less than successful.

However, there can only be one winner and having been initially torn between the chilli chicken of @murphyscreek, @morning glory’s chicken fillets and @detroitdad’s chicken patties, I finally decided upon @murphyscreek as this month’s winner (the garlic butter sauce being the deciding factor).

congrats.gif

You’ve all done very well….

Up to @murphyscreek now to choose the next ingredient.

Last edited:
Just for the record, my recipe was for Cajun Popcorn SHRIMP lol

Which reminds me, the subsequent recipe includes "black" cumin. Is your black cumin the same as this?

cumin-black.jpg

Back
Top Bottom