The CookingBites recipe challenge: fish

Fish Soft Tacos

full.jpg

Nothing says "Coastal Mexico" like fish tacos with the traditional cabbage, crema, etc. I have everything I need to make them. Well, I am still waiting on my avocado to ripen! It's almost there. I will probably go ahead and make my from-scratch tortillas today and get that recipe posted in the appropriate section on the forum. Maybe the avocado will be perfect by the end of the day but this might have to wait until tomorrow.

Edited to add the link to my tortilla recipe (obviously not an entry). I will also post a link for that in my entry post.
Recipe - Mitad y Mitad (Half Corn Flour, Half Wheat Flour) Tortillas

Last edited:
Nothing says "Coastal Mexico" like fish tacos with the traditional cabbage, crema, etc. I have everything I need to make them. Well, I am still waiting on my avocado to ripen! It's almost there. I will probably go ahead and make my from-scratch tortillas today and get that recipe posted in the appropriate section on the forum. Maybe the avocado will be perfect by the end of the day but this might have to wait until tomorrow.

I plan to do my traditional Baja fish tacos today too. Cabbage and a squeeze of lime, for sure. No avocado. Probably some diced jalapeños fresh from the garden. I am using store bought tortillas, but they are made fresh every day in the store. I'll toast them in a CI pan. Nothing worse than doughy torts right out of a bag.

I'm using Dos Equis for my beer batter so it will be "The most interesting batter in the world." (Americans will get that) :wink:

Looks like there will be a good selection of fish tacos in this challenge. :laugh: I believe you are using a different fish -- one I can't get here. I was going to use cod, but changed my fish to one that is common in the Gulf of Mexico.

CD

I plan to do my traditional Baja fish tacos today too. Cabbage and a squeeze of lime, for sure. No avocado. Probably some diced jalapeños fresh from the garden. I am using store bought tortillas, but they are made fresh every day in the store. I'll toast them in a CI pan. Nothing worse than doughy torts right out of a bag.

I'm using Dos Equis for my beer batter so it will be "The most interesting batter in the world." (Americans will get that) :wink:

Looks like there will be a good selection of fish tacos in this challenge. :laugh: I believe you are using a different fish -- one I can't get here. I was going to use cod, but changed my fish to one that is common in the Gulf of Mexico.

CD
I've got fresh jalapeños in my garden I am planning on using, too. I have fresh cilantro as well. I bought a bag of limes and I have red cabbage and all the other stuff I need. I'm using grouper (Gulf of Mexico as well) but I could use any white firm fish, really. I am not doing a beer batter even though I know that's traditional Baja style, though I am frying. My breading will have some panko.

Do you have Whole Foods? They sell grouper. I think sometimes HEB gets it as well (or at least they do down in SE Texas (your hometown).

I've got fresh jalapeños in my garden I am planning on using, too. I have fresh cilantro as well. I bought a bag of limes and I have red cabbage and all the other stuff I need. I'm using grouper (Gulf of Mexico as well) but I could use any white firm fish, really. I am not doing a beer batter even though I know that's traditional Baja style, though I am frying. My breading will have some panko.

Do you have Whole Foods? They sell grouper. I think sometimes HEB gets it as well (or at least they do down in SE Texas (your hometown).

Frisco doesn't have a Whole Paycheck store. We are getting an H-E-B. It is being built now. Besides I don't want to use the same fish as you are using -- or flyinglentris. Looks like we'll have three different cooking methods too.

Mine won't have soap leaves, either. :laugh:

CD

Frisco doesn't have a Whole Paycheck store. We are getting an H-E-B. It is being built now. Besides I don't want to use the same fish as you are using -- or flyinglentris. Looks like we'll have three different cooking methods too.

Mine won't have soap leaves, either. :laugh:

CD
My SIL in Houston shops at Whole Foods, LOL. It's a good thing my brother makes 6 figures annual salary. But I shop there sometimes, and the produce isn't too expensive. I mean, I suppose compared to HEB some of it is, especially if you buy the organic (she does, I do not).

My soap leaves will be cleverly disguised, LOL.

Step Son and DIL are big fans of HEB. They live in Katy, TX., a suburb of Houston. HEB is not in Louisiana. I will shop Whole Foods when I want something special. There is a family owned supermarket chain that started in Houma, La. Rouses. They now have stores across south Louisiana and in Mississippi and Alabama. They focus on Louisiana, Gulf Coast products. Rouses also has many special ethnic products. I am done with WalMart for anything other than cleaning products. I am a fan of Costco.

Edited to add the link to my tortilla recipe (obviously not an entry). I will also post a link for that in my entry post.
Recipe - Mitad y Mitad (Half Corn Flour, Half Wheat Flour) Tortillas

It's good to see that fish tacos hold such an abiding interest. I like them a lot.

Recipe - Baja Fish Tacos

I fell in love with these tacos in Cabo San Lucas (AKA: Cabo). These are pretty much what you will find in Cabo, and the lower half of Baja California (Mexico). Any white, flakey fish will work, I used Red Snapper, because it is caught in the Western Gulf of Mexico (plus cod was already taken). Your fish is traditionally battered in a Cerveza (beer) batter, and fried. The only "required" toppings are thin sliced cabbage and a squeeze of lime. You can get as fancy as you want after that. I added some fesh jalapeños, and some Mexican Creama to mine.

FishTacos001.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Baja Fish Tacos (recipe thread coming -- I have to sort out my notes)

I fell in love with these tacos in Cabo San Lucas (AKA: Cabo). These are pretty much what you will find in Cabo, and the lower half of Baja California (Mexico). Any white, flakey fish will work, I used Red Snapper, because it is caught in the Western Gulf of Mexico (plus cod was already taken). Your fish is traditionally battered in a Cerveza (beer) batter, and fried. The only "required" toppings are thin sliced cabbage and a squeeze of lime. You can get as fancy as you want after that. I added some fesh jalapeños, and some Mexican Creama to mine.

View attachment 71107

CD
Nice job! I've got some photos of me somewhere from several years ago with me reeling in a rather large red snapper. Fun to catch, even more fun to eat.

I will be writing up my recipe tomorrow. It's late here (almost 10:30 EST). I have dishes to do. First things first!

Nice job! I've got some photos of me somewhere from several years ago with me reeling in a rather large red snapper. Fun to catch, even more fun to eat.

I will be writing up my recipe tomorrow. It's late here (almost 10:30 EST). I have dishes to do. First things first!

I've caught a bunch of Red Snapper out by the oil rigs South of PA. You get out about 100 miles, and the snapper are BIG.

CD

I'm happy with 25 pounders. I'm a petite lady of 5'2" tall. No desire to work that hard for my supper!

Anything over 20 pounds is a pretty big red snapper. Commercial catch snapper are usually less than 20 pounds. The ones we caught and kept were in the 20-25 pound range.

Offshore fishing is the only fishing I enjoy. When I was a teenager, we would go out for three days on my neighbor's 42-foot fishing boat.

CD

Back
Top Bottom