The CookingBites recipe challenge: flour

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:11 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is flour (any type)* and murphyscreek is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** which uses flour, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Thursday 25th August UK time (GMT+1). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* includes gluten free flours such as lentil, chickpea, cricket flour (for example).
** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

Last edited:
I've now amended the ingredient to simply 'flour' in the light of comments in the previous challenge thread.

5bfaea28-241d-4a4a-bfe2-bf8bc0943ae5-jpeg-jpg.jpg

Sometimes, when I post a recipe, I think to myself: I should post the picture, and leave the recipe in case there's a cooking challenge. I posted this Pita Bread recipe less than 2 weeks ago. I will probably (definitely) make it again anyway while I think of other things to make.

Last time I looked in my pantry, I had a dozen different kinds of flour. I'm sure I won't use all of them, but I certainly will use a few.
I also have loads and loads of different flours in my pantry. I've an idea or two for this challenge.

I've often posted up a recipe and then found the ingredient chosen a while later as well. My yoghurt pastry is one such example. Dumplings are another, and at least this can be combined with the current challenge if quiche or savoury tarts. I think I've already written up my herby shortcrust pastry but I would work really well with the vegan mushroom quiche I'm planning (or I could even do a mushroom pastry for it, using homemade porcini powder...)

I also have loads and loads of different flours in my pantry. I've an idea or two for this challenge.

I've often posted up a recipe and then found the ingredient chosen a while later as well. My yoghurt pastry is one such example. Dumplings are another, and at least this can be combined with the current challenge if quiche or savoury tarts. I think I've already written up my herby shortcrust pastry but I would work really well with the vegan mushroom quiche I'm planning (or I could even do a mushroom pastry for it, using homemade porcini powder...)
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, about doing double duty with my quiche pastry and a challenge entry, and perhaps more.

I've just bought some besan flour ( chickpea) I may make bhajees and post?

Russ
Just 2 days ago I used chickpea flour (it's only besan flour when made with brown/black chickpeas (kala chana), not the normal paler chickpeas otherwise it's simply chickpea flour (chana or more commonly chana dal which are split & skinned pale chickpeas is chickpea flour), that's the difference between the two flours, chickpea and besan and why one needs more water than the other) to make a spice mix for the spicy aubergine rice i am currently eating for my evening meal.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, about doing double duty with my quiche pastry and a challenge entry, and perhaps more.
I also have thoughts on a vegan quiche using chickpea flour (as well as a separate one using silken tofu) instead of eggs. I need to watch my egg intake like a hawk... especially just after my chooks start laying again. More than 2 eggs a week has my blood work hitting red :(

I also have thoughts on a vegan quiche using chickpea flour (as well as a separate one using silken tofu) instead of eggs. I need to watch my egg intake like a hawk... especially just after my chooks start laying again. More than 2 eggs a week has my blood work hitting red :(
Yeah I remember you posting about how you had to be careful on egg consumption before going to get bloodwork.

Yeah I remember you posting about how you had to be careful on egg consumption before going to get bloodwork.
I forgot last time around, so my current doctor wants words about it... thankfully my potassium is holding constant at just under the lowest figure it's meant to be... That's actually high for me though, lol. The irony is that i have very little oil in my diet. Too little in fact because my dry eye issues clear up when I have something really oily like 'swooning Iman' (an aubergine dish with a lot of oil in it). I guess he'll talk about it with me next week!

Just 2 days ago I used chickpea flour (it's only besan flour when made with brown/black chickpeas (kala chana), not the normal paler chickpeas otherwise it's simply chickpea flour (chana or more commonly chana dal which are split & skinned pale chickpeas is chickpea flour), that's the difference between the two flours, chickpea and besan and why one needs more water than the other) to make a spice mix for the spicy aubergine rice i am currently eating for my evening meal.
Thanks I learnt something. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom