The CookingBites recipe challenge: ginger

IMG_8098.jpeg

Ok, I have two more… :whistling:

Just tossing this here for fun since it uses Ginger. I made a Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup last Sat complete with homemade noodles.
I’ve eaten many a soup from various Asian counties but realized I’ve never tried this one. Very delicious with a rich spice broth, it really hit the spot.

I served it with some blanched Bok Choy, pickled mustard Green stems, cilantro and Green onion.

Edit: I’ll add this under “Soups and Stews” should anyone want the recipe I use.
IMG_8802.jpeg

Last edited:
This challenge has become a ginger storm. There are so many uses to this yummy rhizome, it's hard at times to decide which offering is best.
Here's my latest: Marinated Beetroot Salad
I often cook beetroot (because we all love it in this household) for pickling, or salads, or chutney, or with Indian spices. That's when I tend to make a salad like this, be it for one, two or three people. Beetroot, being slightly sweet, lends itself to a slightly spicy, sweet and sour treatment, and this is what I've tried to create here. Ginger, honey, vinegar & citrus lift the humble root to a different level. The creamy acidity of goat's cheese adds some protein and a delicious, creamy tang. The lentils merely provide a neutral base (plus a bit more protein) to the salad. Marinating the beetroot allows it to really absorb the ginger and sweet/sour ingredients.
As usual, my photo is terrible, but it's the flavour that counts here, not the aesthetics :laugh:
marinated beetroot salad.jpg

A great crop! One interesting thing is that there is only one recipe for a sweet/cake amongst them unless I missed one...
I thought about gingerbread cookies, but I’m just finishing a sleeve of ginger nuts and I have a box of ginger snap coming up.

One interesting thing is that there is only one recipe for a sweet/cake amongst them unless I missed one
Yes - but I've a feeling that many people associate ginger with sweet things, rather than savoury. I think back to the UK: ginger biscuits, Jamaican gingerbread, crystalised ginger, ginger pudding, ginger snaps... so it's great that the savoury side is coming out.

Also, and maybe I shouldn’t speak for the entirety of the US, but ginger cakes/breads/cookies are usually associated with either/both Autumn/Christmas, so making a ginger cake would seem a little odd and out of season right now.

I’ll be posting my latest one up tomorrow.

I have a really great recipe for a gingerbread cake that my family loves to make in the summer, despite it coming from a cookbook literally called “winter entertaining”.

I considered entering it in the challenge, but never got around to making it.

Back
Top Bottom