The CookingBites recipe challenge: hard squash

Entry No. 2, from the “Hey Bartender, I Need Somethin’ to go with This Sidecar” category:

Recipe - Pumpkin-Parmesan Crackers

This is a fun one, not hard at all, comes together in just a few minutes. It’s also very customizable - I think you could swap out the parmesan for some other cheese, like cheddar, and have a nice variation, and you can also spice these up if you like (I added a little paprika to mine).

There’s not much else to say about these - it’s just a snack cracker, after all. Again, like the sidecar I submitted yesterday, the freshness of the mostly-unadulterated pumpkin keeps this from being a dessert thing, and it’s a clever way to use up some leftover purée you may have lying around.

I made an Italian style pumpkin based starter.
Recipe - Italian style roasted pumpkin with pesto and burrata
20231108_110824.jpg

This is my entry for now, maybe later I will post another but I am not promising anything.

An unexpected third one:

Recipe - Pumpkin-Maple Vinaigrette

I was just looking for a way to use up some leftover pumpkin purée and was planning on salad tonight anyway, so I found a vinaigrette recipe and tried that out:

Worked out really well. This gets some sweetness from the maple syrup, but this tastes nothing like a typical “pumpkin spice” offshoot. The thyme is what really pulls it together.

Pumpkin sliced into 5mm julienne, slightly steamed, pickled in a sweet and sour marinade, seasoned with cinnamon, clove, anis and chili is a delight.

Here's a take on a Greek peasant dish called kolokithopita. Since I didn't have any phyllo pastry, I used bought puff pastry, and there was no Feta in the house, so I used some sharp, Venezuelan white cheese. Finally, I roasted some garlic with the pumpkin, adding a touch of unctuous sweetness.Savoury Pumpkin Pie (Kolokithopita)Greek Pumpkin pie (Kolokithopita).jpgButternut squash.jpg

Seems like a lot of pumpkin talk on this thread, so I'm thinking more to the OP, where butternut, spaghetti, acorn, kabocha, buttercup, calabaza, hubbard, delicata, plus any local squashes were mentioned.

I'm still churning ideas around in my noggin. I like butternut squash, but MG has already featured a version of one of my preferred butternut squash dishes. I also like spaghetti squash, and I can think of a number of fun ways to go with that.

A lot of holiday travel coming up, but I'll see what I can come up with for a midweek meal, probably with spaghetti squash... as long as I don't get Tastied again.

CD

Seems like a lot of pumpkin talk on this thread, so I'm thinking more to the OP, where butternut, spaghetti, acorn, kabocha, buttercup, calabaza, hubbard, delicata, plus any local squashes were mentioned.
Over here in Caracas, the only squash available are pumpkin and the butternut squash I used. There are no other choices.

Back
Top Bottom