The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Leafy Greens

. I've not cooked cauliflower leaves and never had the desire to do so.

They are delicious! I used them in this Vegan Cauliflower Cheese (which I have yet to post as a recipe). But really it was only a few of the tender little leaves - so I don't think it would qualify:

I've also made cauliflower soup from the leaves... that would count.

This one will definitely be a challenge for me, as I generally eat leafy greens (apart from herbs) only in salads, and I'd like to do something other than a salad, and I really, truly detest cooked greens. 🤔

Maybe a soup? Just a thought, because that way the leaves don't need to be whole or visible as 'leaves'.

Maybe a soup? Just a thought, because that way the leaves don't need to be whole or visible as 'leaves'.
There's just something about the sight of wilted greens that instantly makes me retch.

I'll figure something out, though. Spinach-mushroom-garlic pizza, maybe. I've done that before.

It sounds fun! Any extra points for using seldom used leafy greens? ...or recently legalized leafy greens! :eek:
I do give bonus points for originality. And, as you know, Michigan recently legalized leafy greens, so anything goes. 🚬

Last edited:
They are delicious! I used them in this Vegan Cauliflower Cheese (which I have yet to post as a recipe). But really it was only a few of the tender little leaves - so I don't think it would qualify:

View attachment 36468

I've also made cauliflower soup from the leaves... that would count.
You're right. While it technically would qualify, you won't win by just having a nominal presence. I follow the Food Network rules when it comes to judging: the main ingredient must be featured in the dish.

I've researched my past meals and although the majority contain some form of grass, the grass tends to be an uncooked accompaniment, e.g. fire prawns with lettuce and coriander. Do the "leafy greens" have to be cooked?

Bubble and squeak with steamed duck eggs (and pepper steak).

Bubble and Squeak.

Boiled and mashed potatoes, chopped onions and shredded steamed cabbage mixed and seasoned and refrigerated overnight. Pan fried in a little olive oil until brown. Also called Rumbledethumps (in Scotland) and Colcannon (in Ireland).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom