The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Legumes in the pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very excited to find this as the challenge because I love to grow snow peas - they are really expensive in stores here but very easy to grow.

My plants are getting to the point they need to climb the trellis but they won’t be ready to harvest during challenge but I will be able to use this thread for recipe ideas later.

Looking forward to it.

Windigo - Sorry to read that. My late Dad also had this issue after they decided they couldn’t reconnect his pipes. He loved to eat and so I learned to incorporate some of his favourites, such as mushrooms, by mincing them raw etc. I’m sure you know all the tricks. Iceberg lettuce nearly killed him by blocking his stoma pipe. Corn & onions were also problematic.

Very excited to find this as the challenge because I love to grow snow peas - they are really expensive in stores here but very easy to grow.

My plants are getting to the point they need to climb the trellis but they won’t be ready to harvest during challenge but I will be able to use this thread for recipe ideas later.

Looking forward to it.

Windigo - Sorry to read that. My late Dad also had this issue after they decided they couldn’t reconnect his pipes. He loved to eat and so I learned to incorporate some of his favourites, such as mushrooms, by mincing them raw etc. I’m sure you know all the tricks. Iceberg lettuce nearly killed him by blocking his stoma pipe. Corn & onions were also problematic.
I can't eat mushrooms, am fine with onions. It's different per person with a stoma, but the one thing we have in common is that certain foods can block our pipes as you said :okay:
What got me in the hospital was a dish with 7 veggies, I learned I couldn't eat everything after that.

B6D8695D-AC89-42A3-89D8-5B73899948DE.jpeg

I assume this is also a NO, but I have to ask.

Has anyone enough of an appreciation of the Irish to use the green of snow peas to make something 'Erin go bragh'?

How about Green Eggs, Ham and Snow Peas? :cook:🇮🇪

And what would Saint Patty's be with out Irish Ale? :cheers:

Is anybody having trouble finding or obtaining snow peas or snap peas in their area? If so, I may be willing to bend on what can be used in the challenge.

I'm gett'n ideas for Szechuan, Mongolian or Kung Pao entrees with snow peas. And oh, Tempura battered and fried snow peas and other veggies with Udon soup or just the Udon noodles. I'm salivating!

I am also think'n that the French would have some sort of tasty meals with snow peas and meats. Pommes fritas with mangetout fritas? - and a chicken sandwich? But there must be a Spanish American use for snow peas too. And let's not forget snow peas in Italian cuisine - eh? And what we in the USA call continental cuisine - especially seafood. I always like to use brocolli with things the lobster, king crab legs and prawns, but - snow peas? - brocolli and snow peas?

Is anybody having trouble finding or obtaining snow peas or snap peas in their area? If so, I may be willing to bend on what can be used in the challenge.
I haven't checked to see if they're available yet, or if they have them frozen. I'll be honest and say, they're not a favorite of mine and for me, about all I can find to do with them is either some kind of salad or some kind of stir-fry, so I've been dragging my feet a little.

I haven't checked to see if they're available yet, or if they have them frozen. I'll be honest and say, they're not a favorite of mine and for me, about all I can find to do with them is either some kind of salad or some kind of stir-fry, so I've been dragging my feet a little.

Be inventive. That's why these things are called challenges and not simple recipe choices.

Last edited:
Hi. I can’t speak for everyone, but in my case the issue isn’t locating them, but rather the limitations of using them. I know you are passionate about them, but I’m having a hard time coming up with something that’s not a variation of a stir-fry or a salad. There’s nothing wrong with those things - I happen to love them myself - but I don’t feel I’m breaking any new ground or doing something that makes them the star of the dish.

While I understand embracing the Challenge part of Recipe Challenge, I think the real goal of these challenges is to get people cooking and having fun with the challenge. At least, that's what I love most about recipe challenges.

From a moderator's perspective, I'm wondering if we need to broaden the brief to include other legumes. Its beginning to worry me that nobody has indicated they are going to enter. The real purpose of this challenge is to get members cooking and posting and sharing recipes. Its not intended to be 'an invention test' as such.

On a personal level, I'm not the greatest fan of mangetout but I do have two or three ideas which are not stir-fry or salad. I really don't want to be the only person entering, though!

From a moderator's perspective, I'm wondering if we need to broaden the brief to include other legumes. Its beginning to worry me that nobody has indicated they are going to enter. The real purpose of this challenge is to get members cooking and posting and sharing recipes. Its not intended to be 'an invention test' as such.

On a personal level, I'm not the greatest fan of mangetout but I do have two or three ideas which are not stir-fry or salad. I really don't want to be the only person entering, though!

I have offered to do that. Let's include edamames and other pod encased peas, even string beans. I really thought that snow peas would be something that everybody could get a hold of for cheap.

I planned a quiche and a soup for next week, here they're rather expensive for me, but I like the taste and I bet there are many good recipes for them. The idea of salads is also great, I'm big fan of good salads. Or what about strudel, terrine or pate?
Stay healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom