The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Legumes in the pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it may be preferred to prepare snow peas by cutting off the tips and stem ends and then pulling out the spine of the pods. It is not necessary, but when the pods are used whole, it can help to make them easier to chew up.

Snow Peas have a delicate light sweet flavor and a crisp texture. They may be chopped up by cross-cutting or julienne cutting. This sort of thing is not often seen in snow pea recipes, but can help quite a bit to fit them into a larger variety of meals.

The salmon scallop snow pea soup which I posted the other day, features julienne cut snow peas.

This chicken salad features breaded chicken, radicchio and chopped snow peas.

full.jpg

The salad also features mushrooms, Anaheim pepper, tomato and garlic herb feta cheese with a quick home made salad dressing from sour cream, olive oil and balsamic vinegar without any spices.

Sometimes it may be preferred to prepare snow peas by cutting off the tips and stem ends and then pulling out the spine of the pods. It is not necessary, but when the pods are used whole, it can help to make them easier to chew up.

Snow Peas have a delicate light sweet flavor and a crisp texture. They may be chopped up by cross-cutting or julienne cutting. This sort of thing is not often seen in snow pea recipes, but can help quite a bit to fit them into a larger variety of meals.

The salmon scallop snow pea soup which I posted the other day, features julienne cut snow peas.

This chicken salad features breaded chicken, radicchio and chopped snow peas.

View attachment 59223

The salad also features mushrooms, Anaheim pepper, tomato and garlic herb feta cheese with a quick home made salad dressing from sour cream, olive oil and balsamic vinegar without any spices.
That is a wonderful post, I learned from it a lot. Thank you! The whole forum is bursting with ideas and knowledge, I love it.
I am quite excited about the Challenge!

Must watchthe streets now not to get off at the wrong tram station😄

It sounds like you have a lot of exciting ideas here. My only caution would be to not try to do too many things at once. Sometimes ingredients work well together, and sometimes they clash. Feta cheese is a strong flavor, and I think it would overwhelm the peapods. Maybe a milder cheese is in order?

The only other thing I would add is that, when making an omelette, I always like to pan fry as much of the ingredients as I can. Cooking the meat and vegetables together in a pan is always a winning combination, in my opinion. I prefer this to just putting raw ingredients in. Raw ingredients can be nice, but pan frying them first transforms them and brings out more of the flavor.
Excuse me for my late response, I did choose feta cheese because of the strong flavor and thank you for your second advice not to choose to much ingredients.

I haven't tried it yet but here's the picture, I finished it 15 minutes ago. The decorations didn't had the effect that I was hoping for, but the sauce I made tasted quite good, I just hope it will get thick enough until tomorrow so I can slice it easy. The recipe will come tomorrow or later.
img_20210316_1342008959767776647434210.jpg

Stay healthy.

Excuse me for my late response, I did choose feta cheese because of the strong flavor and thank you for your second advice not to choose to much ingredients.

I haven't tried it yet but here's the picture, I finished it 15 minutes ago. The decorations didn't had the effect that I was hoping for, but the sauce I made tasted quite good, I just hope it will get thick enough until tomorrow so I can slice it easy. The recipe will come tomorrow or later.
View attachment 59265
Stay healthy.

This looks really nice! Are those starfruit?

View attachment 59265
Stay healthy.

It looks very eye-catching colourful. Usually the sauce used in a tart or quiche is a 'custard' made with eggs. Not sure if that is what you did? It should set in the oven if you do that.

This looks really nice! Are those starfruit?
No, I took my cookie cutter and shaped beet root (what is now a crumbled star), feta cheese and bell pepper into stars.
It looks very eye-catching colourful. Usually the sauce used in a tart or quiche is a 'custard' made with eggs. Not sure if that is what you did? It should set in the oven if you do that.
Thank you. I don't like the picture I took, it looks unrealistic for me, but when I have the quiche before my eyes it's okay. Yeah, normally you only take eggs for the inside, but right now I'm learning how to make a proper broth and so I made some chicken broth and thickened it up with starch and flour.
Stay healthy

No, I took my cookie cutter and shaped beet root (what is now a crumbled star), feta cheese and bell pepper into stars.

Very nice! You know...as soon as I suggested not using feta, I thought "...unless you are pairing it with flavors to from a Greek salad". It looks like you've done a bit of that with the beets. Clever!

It's good that I'll have an easy time judging this challenge, as I had been working to find and secure approval for a new apartment. I put that in the past tense, because within the last hour, I got the call from the apartment manager and the first words she said where "Congratulations! You've been approved!"

I will be going down to sign the lease tomorrow and after that, start the move.

But don't worry, I still haven't given my 30 day notice where I'm at and will have plenty of time to make the move and still keep active on CB.

If I do run into some sort of time crunch, I'll let Morning Glory know and there will be somebody to do the judging, if I should fail to find time to put toward it.

Congrats on the good news.

Thank you.

This is a great location and one that I had thoughts of finding a place in over the past year. It is also a huge 1 bedroom apartment with a 12' x 12' bedroom, a kitchen with a separating bar, a huge walk in closet, a laundry room and a very large dining/living room area. The kitchen has a full size fridge/freezer, stove with oven, a dishwasher, two sinks, one with disposal and lots of cabinet space, but shallow depth.

There is plenty of parking available, both within the gated entry and out on the street.

The place is in a very nice semi-urban/rural area and the apartment is on the ground floor. Traffic in the area is known to me to be low and very tolerable. I have been doing my shopping in the area to avoid driving into more congested areas, so I am familiar with the stores there. My bank is very near by and the VA clinic while a few miles further away is a direct shot on the freeway.

Thank you.

This is a great location and one that I had thoughts of finding a place in over the past year. It is also a huge 1 bedroom apartment with a 12' x 12' bedroom, a kitchen with a separating bar, a huge walk in closet, a laundry room and a very large dining/living room area. The kitchen has a full size fridge/freezer, stove with oven, a dishwasher, two sinks, one with disposal and lots of cabinet space, but shallow depth.

There is plenty of parking available, both within the gated entry and out on the street.

The place is in a very nice semi-urban/rural area and the apartment is on the ground floor. Traffic in the area is known to me to be low and very tolerable. I have been doing my shopping in the area to avoid driving into more congested areas, so I am familiar with the stores there. My bank is very near by and the VA clinic while a few miles further away is a direct shot on the freeway.
This sounds ideal. I'm glad this is working out for you!

And, by the way, you can always ask to adjust the deadline for a cooking challenge. I've seen a week or more being added in the past. We all know that life comes first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom