The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Legumes in the pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have offered to do that. Let's include edamames and other pod encased peas, even string beans. I really thought that snow peas would be something that everybody could get a hold of for cheap.

OK - lets expand it to legumes in the pod. I'll change the intro.

I think the price and availability of both mangetoot and snow peas varies across different countries.

6F531005-5487-4B70-9F14-A6FEA9FBEE44.jpeg

Russell’s Split Pea and Ham Soup with Snow Peas. The snow peas could have been cut in half to spread them around so you get a piece in every bite, but they work well enough like this (and they make for a prettier presentation).

Here's my plan for the beans quiche. Short crust, thin layer of mortadella/corned beef like meat, lot of string beans mixed with a, uhm... I don't know how to call that sauce, but I would make a chicken broth, pour that together with a pinch of white wine over a roux, with enough flour to create a thick pudding like texture after baking, flavored with lots of nutmeg and cumin, some salt/pepper, thickend again (because to much flour doesn't taste good) with eggs and heavy cream, and mixed with some roasted sunflower seeds. On the top layer I would like to bake a decorative pattern in the shape of a dart board with feta cheese, string beans, yellow bellpepper, carrot, tomatoe, beet root and the skin of eggplant, everything sliced into a string beans like shape.What do you guys think, any idea to make it better?
Stay healthy

What do you guys think, any idea to make it better?

It sounds like you have a lot of exciting ideas here. My only caution would be to not try to do too many things at once. Sometimes ingredients work well together, and sometimes they clash. Feta cheese is a strong flavor, and I think it would overwhelm the peapods. Maybe a milder cheese is in order?

The only other thing I would add is that, when making an omelette, I always like to pan fry as much of the ingredients as I can. Cooking the meat and vegetables together in a pan is always a winning combination, in my opinion. I prefer this to just putting raw ingredients in. Raw ingredients can be nice, but pan frying them first transforms them and brings out more of the flavor.

I can't eat mushrooms, am fine with onions. It's different per person with a stoma, but the one thing we have in common is that certain foods can block our pipes as you said :okay:
What got me in the hospital was a dish with 7 veggies, I learned I couldn't eat everything after that.
I am sorry to hear that, I see your posts and they are amazing! You have some much knowledge to share! Thank you for doing so! I just wish the medical experts had told you so prior, you would have avoided much discomfort...

I'm gett'n ideas for Szechuan, Mongolian or Kung Pao entrees with snow peas. And oh, Tempura battered and fried snow peas and other veggies with Udon soup or just the Udon noodles. I'm salivating!

I am also think'n that the French would have some sort of tasty meals with snow peas and meats. Pommes fritas with mangetout fritas? - and a chicken sandwich? But there must be a Spanish American use for snow peas too. And let's not forget snow peas in Italian cuisine - eh? And what we in the USA call continental cuisine - especially seafood. I always like to use brocolli with things the lobster, king crab legs and prawns, but - snow peas? - brocolli and snow peas?
I will investigate a little across the Croatian recipes...

I am sorry and regret to hear that. Life can be cruel, but we some how manage to persevere. I hope that your issue does not keep you from enjoying some forms of good cooking. I know from your posts that you find ways to achieve this.

My own issues are mild diabetes and something called stasis in my legs, especially my right leg. It's a nasty problem where the valves that push blood back up my legs have broken down and blood collects in my legs and sometimes makes them swell. Since wastes are not properly filtered out, my legs get scaly and sometimes weep fluids which can cause me to get a bit smelly. It's a damnable issue, because it causes me to avoid contact with people and I do like people around me. And dried dead skin cells are constantly flaking off and require me to do extra household clean ups.

Anyway, many of us have health problems, especially as we get older and more geriatric. We keep going and try to continue enjoying life.
I will take this to a new thread...

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear that, I see your posts and they are amazing! You have some much knowledge to share! Thank you for doing so! I just wish the medical experts had told you so prior, you would have avoided much discomfort...
Aww thank you ❤

The problem is that every person with an ileostomy is different, there are those that can eat anything. And there are those that can eat very few things, and everything in between. So they can't really warn anyone.

As I promised I surfed through www...and found almost no recipes of Croatian local traditions that would use snow peas...I ' d hoped Dalmatia (coastal) region perhaps would have some, but no, not as far I could see.

What I remember seeing a lot is the English peas along with carrots and potatoes as side dish to roasted pork or in stews, a lot locally.

I love English peas and green beans, I use them a lot. Snow peas would be a first.

If we did not eat them many y ago in Japan, and I can' remember it...

So, I would love to challenge myself in creating a recipe😎😎.

When I find the pods I like, will decide what to do with them. I don' t yet have a feeling how they are, taste and all...

Perhaps a soup, or a spread, or a salad...will ask for advice if in doubt😄...and post within the deadline.

Read the rules👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom