The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Legumes in the pod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:53 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is legumes in the pod and flyinglentris is judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe using any legume cooked in the pod, such as sugar snap peas, mangetout, green beans (string beans) etc., tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday Friday 26th March, UK time (GMT+1). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

Last edited:
Welcome CB members to the March 2021 Recipe Challenge. The ingredient is snow peas or alternatively, snap peas, if you prefer them.

Many snow pea recipes concentrate on the snow peas themselves, as a vegetable side dish, with variations in sauces and flavorings. That's OK. But snow peas can be used mixed into a variety of entrees, stir fry, salad, soup, baked meats, fried meats, stews and so forth. Snow peas are a very versatile cooking ingredient; you just gotta get down and figure out what they go well with. I used snow peas in the first recipe challenge I won a couple years ago - Salmon Net Allumette.

When cooked, snow peas turn a bright green and can be a very artful way to give a decorative touch to a meal. They are crisp and crunchy raw and may remain so, depending upon how long they are cooked. That beautiful green color combines well with reds and yellows.

Here's picture of that Salmon Net Allumette ...

full.jpg

Snow peas are a wonderful ingredient for flavor, texture and artistic application to meals.

BTW: Snow peas refrigerate well and won't go soft and mushy or grow mold as quick as other perishables do.

Unfortunately snap peas are on the list of things I can no longer eat, so I can't participate in the challenge.

Wow! Snow peas and snap peas are vegetables and high fiber. What could possibly be wrong with them that they might cause some ailment?

Wow! Snow peas and snap peas are vegetables and high fiber. What could possibly be wrong with them that they might cause some ailment?
I have no colon. High fibre causes me bowel blockages, and those can be deadly. I was in hospital for one last december.

I have no colon. High fibre causes me bowel blockages, and those can be deadly. I was in hospital for one last december.

I am sorry and regret to hear that. Life can be cruel, but we some how manage to persevere. I hope that your issue does not keep you from enjoying some forms of good cooking. I know from your posts that you find ways to achieve this.

My own issues are mild diabetes and something called stasis in my legs, especially my right leg. It's a nasty problem where the valves that push blood back up my legs have broken down and blood collects in my legs and sometimes makes them swell. Since wastes are not properly filtered out, my legs get scaly and sometimes weep fluids which can cause me to get a bit smelly. It's a damnable issue, because it causes me to avoid contact with people and I do like people around me. And dried dead skin cells are constantly flaking off and require me to do extra household clean ups.

Anyway, many of us have health problems, especially as we get older and more geriatric. We keep going and try to continue enjoying life.

I am sorry and regret to hear that. Life can be cruel, but we some how manage to persevere. I hope that your issue does not keep you from enjoying some forms of good cooking. I know from your posts that you find ways to achieve this.

My own issues are mild diabetes and something called stasis in my legs, especially my right leg. It's a nasty problem where the valves that push blood back up my legs have broken down and blood collects in my legs and sometimes makes them swell. Since wastes are not properly filtered out, my legs get scaly and sometimes weep fluids which can cause me to get a bit smelly. It's a damnable issue, because it causes me to avoid contact with people and I do like people around me. And dried dead skin cells are constantly flaking off and require me to do extra household clean ups.

Anyway, many of us have health problems, especially as we get older and more geriatric. We keep going and try to continue enjoying life.
I am sorry to hear you go through this, it sounds hard to deal with. :hug:

I am indeed creative enough to find ways around this issue, as you can see from my posts I still eat quite well. There are plenty of vegetables I can still eat, so I am managing.

I am sorry to hear you go through this, it sounds hard to deal with. :hug:

I am indeed creative enough to find ways around this issue, as you can see from my posts I still eat quite well. There are plenty of vegetables I can still eat, so I am managing.

It's not too hard to deal with. But I have to be more considerate of other people around me. That's the troublesome part of it as it causes me to be a bit more sensitive and reclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom