The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Legumes in the pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been very busy with my move to the new apartment, but be assured that I have reviewed the current challenge entries, any of which qualify as runners up for the top pick.

If I am delayed in actually presenting the top pick, forgive me, but the move must progress.

I will make my choice after the challenge ends and I have my laptop is up and running in the new apartment. I already have the network running there and it should be no problem, except that it will perhaps be delayed a couple hours after the challenge ends. I know you all will be anticipating this and that the delay should not be great and will not be a problem.

I, myself, look forward to returning to producing recipes, during the next challenge, once I have settled in. I will be fully moved out today. Clean up of the old place will occur tomorrow and the keys returned.

already have the network running there and it should be no problem, except that it will perhaps be delayed a couple hours after the challenge ends. I know you all will be anticipating this and that the delay should not be great and will not be a problem.

No worries. The challenge ends in 1hr 15mins as I write (12 midday UK time) . Please note that the countdown clock displays members' local time so can be confusing.

flyinglentris - there is no mad rush to announce the winner. Your flat move should take precedence!

OK, everything is moved, except for my mini-refrigerator which would not fit in this load I just unpacked.

Give me a moment or two to review my notes and I'll post two runners up and the top pick.

Honestly, I did have some problems judging this. There were people who's recipes seemed to tie others for runner up spots and even the top pick seemed to me to be something I needed to split hairs on.

But in the end, I settled on the following two runners up ...

Morning Glory took 2nd runner up for her Spicy parsnip and mangetout soup which edged out one of The Late Night Gourmet's recipes.

PabloLerntKochen took 1st runner up for his String beans quiche. This recipe was one that was edged out by the top pick that I ultimately chose, but was close.

And the top pick, I give to murphyscreek for his Snow pea chips with mushroom and macadamia nut pate.

Congratulations murphyscreek !

Congrats, murphyscreek! Your recipes and video presentations are glorious in general. The crispy pea chips looked absolutely delicious.
congr.gif

Congratulations murphyscreek. I had my eye on that recipe to win.

Its now over to you to choose the next ingredient. To see what has been chosen before in date order see here and in alphabetical order here.

As always, we ask you to choose an ingredient which is available in most of our countries and which is versatile. Its absolutely fine to choose an ingredient which has gone before as long as it wan't too recently. As we didn't get many entries on this round maybe it would be a good idea to 'float' your idea for the ingredient in this thread before we formalise it. That way members can comment if they wish and we may be able to assess interest (and availability of the ingredient) so we can change it if necessary.

Honestly, I did have some problems judging this. There were people who's recipes seemed to tie others for runner up spots and even the top pick seemed to me to be something I needed to split hairs on.

But in the end, I settled on the following two runners up ...

Morning Glory took 2nd runner up for her Spicy parsnip and mangetout soup which edged out one of The Late Night Gourmet's recipes.

PabloLerntKochen took 1st runner up for his String beans quiche. This recipe was one that was edged out by the top pick that I ultimately chose, but was close.

And the top pick, I give to murphyscreek for his Snow pea chips with mushroom and macadamia nut pate.

Congratulations murphyscreek !
Thanks very much flyinglentris for choosing my entry. And to everyone else's kind comments. I've just woke up here after a late shift. I'll have a little think about the next ingredient, and I think Morning Glory 's idea of floating it first for discussion is an excellent one.

One idea I'll put up for discussion. On the what I ate today thread I often drool over pics of burgers, and obviously some people are really skilled in making home versions. Now I know "burgers" isn't an ingredient, but what if I chose "burger buns", and then what or how people use them is up them. e. g. To me a flat bread isn't a bun, but... if I somehow flattened a bun and used it that would qualifiy, or a dessert like bun and butter pudding (just ad libbing here). Obviously, from my comments up top would love to see an array of burgers. But as long as a bun or buns feature in the recipe I reckon anything goes. Any thoughts welcome.

One idea I'll put up for discussion. On the what I ate today thread I often drool over pics of burgers, and obviously some people are really skilled in making home versions. Now I know "burgers" isn't an ingredient, but what if I chose "burger buns", and then what or how people use them is up them. e. g. To me a flat bread isn't a bun, but... if I somehow flattened a bun and used it that would qualifiy, or a dessert like bun and butter pudding (just ad libbing here). Obviously, from my comments up top would love to see an array of burgers. But as long as a bun or buns feature in the recipe I reckon anything goes. Any thoughts welcome.

I'm up for that, but how far does it go? Does it include hoagie rolls, bratwurst rolls, etc?

I'm up for that, but how far does it go? Does it include hoagie rolls, bratwurst rolls, etc?
My thoughts are stick to just the term "hamburger bun" as the following:

"A hamburger bun is a round, risen bread designed specifically to hold a hamburger patty and the accompanying toppings. The hamburger bun, when sliced in half, makes hamburgers and sandwiches portable and easy foods to eat."

However, as I said, if you come up with an idea to use it in a way it's not specifically designed for then that would be ok. But of course, would still have to make sense and be delicious. But primarily, to me the idea of a burger bun is so you can pick the whole thing up and eat the contents.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

My thoughts are stick to just the term "hamburger bun" as the following:

"A hamburger bun is a round, risen bread designed specifically to hold a hamburger patty and the accompanying toppings. The hamburger bun, when sliced in half, makes hamburgers and sandwiches portable and easy foods to eat."

However, as I said, if you come up with an idea to use it in a way it's not specifically designed for then that would be ok. But of course, would still have to make sense and be delicious. But primarily, to me the idea of a burger bun is so you can pick the whole thing up and eat the contents.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

My random thoughts.

My favorite burgers are bagel burgers. Bagel bakeries have 20 kinds of bagels, and each has potential for a great burger -- or sandwich in general. That would be out I assume?

Second random thought, would homemade buns be considered more favorably than store bought buns? That's something only you, as judge can answer. If yes, then it is basically a baking challenge. If I were to put my baking skills up against someone like TastyRueben, I'd get annihilated. I realize these challenges are not supposed to be "all about winning," but I'd like to at least have some chance.

Third random thought. You will basically be judging a whole bunch of sandwiches of some kind. Are you okay with that? I'm thinking of you here as the judge more than the contestants.

Just food for thought -- pardon the pun.

CD

Last edited:
My random thoughts.

My favorite burgers are bagel burgers. Bagel bakeries have 20 kinds of bagels, and each has potential for a great burger -- or sandwich in general. That would be out I assume?

Second random thought, would homemade buns be considered more favorably than store bought buns? That's something only you, as judge can answer. If yes, then it is basically a baking challenge. If I were to put my baking skills up against someone like TastyRueben, I'd get annihilated. I realize these challenges are not supposed to be "all about winning," but I'd like to at least have some chance.

Third random thought. You will basically be judging a whole bunch of sandwiches of some kind. Are you okay with that? I'm thinking of you here as the judge more than the contestants.

Just food for thought -- pardon the pun.

CD
There's some good points there, but I think I have enough experience to work out ingredients that work better than some in a whole bunch of sandwich recipes.

Making your bun is a bit more of a difficult issue. I think some creedence has to be given to skill level in creating a recipe, but I also give a lot of creedence to recipes that are easy for everyday cooks to achieve a good outcome. At the end of the day, deliciousness always wins.

But I'm not married to idea either, so if people have other thoughts am happy to listen... at the end of the day we want an ingredient that draws the most interest to members here. I'm happy to judge anything, I just happen to really like burgers... and a burger isn't necessarily always a burger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom