The CookingBites recipe challenge: minced/ground meat or fish (or meat alternative)

I am writing it up right now, it will be done around 7:30 PM EST (4:30 PM AZ time). Okay, 7:20 and all done!

You only missed the deadline by 20 mins for posting the recipe so I'm assuming that is OK with kaneohegirlinaz.

The challenge is now closed and its over to you kaneohegirlinaz to choose a winner. The easiest way to view all the entries as a list with links to the recipes is by clicking on the cookingbites recipe challenge tag. There are 23 entries.

You only missed the deadline by 20 mins for posting the recipe so I'm assuming that is OK with kaneohegirlinaz.

The challenge is now closed and its over to you kaneohegirlinaz to choose a winner. The easiest way to view all the entries as a list with links to the recipes is by clicking on the cookingbites recipe challenge tag. There are 23 entries.
Yes, I did take JAS_OH1 last entry into consideration, as my time clock at the top right hand side of the home page indicated that everyone had until midnight my time, which at that time, I was sound as sleep. :laugh:

WOW, I mean WOW!
I am fairly new to this group and I feel very honored and humbled to be judging this time around.

There were 23 entrees in total; I never thought that many folks would throw their hats into the ring. Mince/Ground meats, seafood and plant-based products don’t necessarily sound exciting, but I’m here to tell ya, we have some talented cooks here at CB!

We got not one, but two takes on the Cottage Pies.
In the Seafood category there were three entries (well 4, kinda).
I was super excited to see Offal being used, not that I am a huge fan, but …
Eggplant or Aubergine was represented four different ways.
In camp Asian-Inspired, five, count them, five dishes.
We had one participant pulling at my heart strings, SPAM® ! I had never thought to use it as a Hash.
There are several Kofta-Style receipts, which I love.
I did copy&paste the Sausage, for sure!
And finally, I’m am over the moon that there’s a Vegan Mince to boot!

But, ultimately, here’s how I scored it:

Third place goes to caseydog for his Bayou Pie. Simple, but outside the box.

Second is handed to JAS_OH1 for her Philly Cheesesteak Breakfast Burrito. What a great riff on two classics!

And our next challenge judge is The Late Night Gourmet , for his Salmon Burgers (oh, and Catfish too).
You had me with the Salmon Burger, straight off.
As soon as I read this recipe, I said to myself, I want to make this and better yet I want to devour that great Burger!
The combination of flavors, textures, MAN, and now I want yet another kitchen gadget, a meat grinder. :laugh:

I knew that I was going to have a challenge myself, choosing the next recipe challenge judge, so much so that I started putting my thoughts together yesterday evening after our dinner.
Everyone did a bang up job!
I'd like to thank
Morning Glory
medtran49
Mountain Cat
karadekoolaid
TastyReuben
Frizz1974
murphyscreek
Yorky
All of you created stunning food that I wanted to gobble down!

Thank you for your thoughtful judging and comments on the recipes kaneohegirlinaz. It ain't easy judging 23 entries!

Congratulations The Late Night Gourmet! Its over to you now to choose the next ingredient. As I'm sure you know there is a list of the ingredients previously chosen in date order here and in alphabetical order here.

As I always say - it doesn't matter if the ingredient has been chosen before, so long as it wasn't too recently.

Well, thank you! There were so many great recipes posted, and I expect to make a few of them soon.

I think I wanted to make ground fish because I knew I would be traveling to Alaska soon. I’m here now, so I am feeling inspired by the beauty of the environment and the food.

But, we’ve done fish a few times, much as I’d love to do it again. Since we’re in a sort of “audition” territory for new recipes, I’d like to propose another Alaskan favorite:

Berries

And, here’s one of the many amazing mountains:

FA6DBE36-84CF-4BC4-821E-7E8BE872187B.jpeg

But, we’ve done fish a few times, much as I’d love to do it again. Since we’re in a sort of “audition” territory for new recipes, I’d like to propose another Alaskan favorite:

Berries

Berries is fine - except that now you will have to define what counts as a berry for the challenge!

For example

• Botanical berries not commonly known as berries include bananas, tomatoes, grapes, eggplants (aubergines), persimmons, watermelons, and pumpkins.
  • Strawberries are not berries.
  • Grapes are berries
  • Peppercorns are berries (as are various other dried spices such as juniper berries)

I'll launch the challenge today and you can then clarify what is included in due course!

Last edited:
Berries is fine - except that now you will have to define what counts as a berry for the challenge!

For example

• Botanical berries not commonly known as berries include bananas, tomatoes, grapes, eggplants (aubergines), persimmons, watermelons, and pumpkins.
  • Strawberries are not berries.
  • Grapes are berries
  • Peppercorns are berries (as are various other dried spices such as juniper berries)

I'll launch the challenge today and you can then clarify what is included in due course!

Sorry…I had to laugh, because I forgot that this always happens. But, thank you for thinking of it. I am defining it as sweet berries, including strawberries and any other sweet fruit that has berry in the name, even if it’s not genetically a berry. I am including grapes, but therefore not peppercorns or juniper berries (which we did not too long ago).

Sorry…I had to laugh, because I forgot that this always happens. But, thank you for thinking of it. I am defining it as sweet berries, including strawberries and any other sweet fruit that has berry in the name, even if it’s not genetically a berry. I am including grapes, but therefore not peppercorns or juniper berries (which we did not too long ago).
Yes, we have no bananas, lol.

Back
Top Bottom